Antony Wright

Smile Rose family - Long Compton and Great Wolford

Hi all,
    Anyone out there tracing the Rose family? Im looking for a link for a Johannis (John) Rose somewhere around 1670 - 1690. I know he had 7 children of which Richardus (Richard) is my direct line. Richard was born in 1716 - the youngest of the known 7 children. The eldest being born 1692. I would appreciate any info anyone has.

Thanks
    Antony

geoffpowers

Default Payne family of Great Wolford

Hello, Anthony!

I am afraid I cannot help with your Rose family, but do you by any chance know of any Payne connections in your family?

I am trying to establish the date and place of birth of Wliiam Payne, born c. 1700, who stated that he was 'of Wolford' when he married Mary Young in Tredington in 1734. All their children were baptised at Great Wolford.

There appear to be few records of the family name Payne in and around the Wolfords/Long Compton before 1700. I am therefore coming to the conclusion that William may well have been an 'incomer' to the village, possibly from Chipping Campden.

Geoff
    Last edited by geoffpowers; 01-12-2004 at 2:23 PM. Reason: typos, also bug in the system - pieces of text randomly being duplicated???

Antony Wright

Hi Geoff,
    I do have Paynes in my tree but sadly they are from Norfolk not Warwichshire. Sorry.
    Antony

geoffpowers

Smile Rose family

Antony

My wife and I have just returned from a week's family history research at the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust Record Office and Warwicks. RO. In the course of researching my Payne family in Gt. Wolford and Long Compton, and also in nearby parishes, we came across numerous mentions of the surname Rose going back to the early 1600s. Unfortunately, I did not have a record of the information you are seeking with me.

In fact we searched the transcripts of Warwicks. parish registers by the Rev. J. Harvey Bloom which he undertook in the early 1900s, rather than film and microfiches - much easier than the original records, even though the handwriting in the transcripts is somewhat indifferent at times.

If you live near enough to be able to visit SBPT RO. it would be well worth your while to spend some time there. I'm planning a further visit late Aug.-Sept., so will see what I can do for you next time I'm there.

Regards

Geoff
    Last edited by geoffpowers; 19-05-2005 at 7:21 PM. Reason: superfluous text

Marie Gibbs

Smile Richard Rose & Family

Hello,
    I believe my line includes Richard Rose. I have been researching my 4 great- grandfather Henry [Harry] Rose was b. 1Apr1782, Long Compton. He was the s. of John Rose [b.16Nov1752] & [m.16Apr1781] Hannah Eden [b.12Oct1755]. John Rose was the s. of Richard Rose [b.24Jan1727] & [m.8Oct1745] to Mary Hyatt. I may have more. My line moved to South Littleton/Evesham area. Later 3 great grandfather George Rose emigrated in 1865 to New Jersey, America. Does any of this sound familiar?
    Marie

Antony Wright

Hi Marie,

yes what you say does sound familiar. My line is as follows:

Starting with John who is the father of Richard Rose (Great Wolford)
    Richard married Mary Hyatt one of their sons was John (Long Compton)
    John Married Hannah Eden giving birth to Henry (Long Compton)**
    Henry married Ann Drinkwater giving birth to Henry (South Littleton)
    Henry married Sarah Leicester giving birth to George (South Littleton)
    Georrge married Louisa Illes giving birth to Maud (Birmingham)
    Maud married Randolph George Evans giving birth to Violet (Birmingham)
    Violet is my grandmother

Ive not included all the other siblings but there are quite a few of them. Your George is the son of the Henry I have marked ** I have his birth as 30 Jan 1820. He was a little younger than his brother Henry by some 5 years.

If you want I can give you my personal email so you can mail me direct.

Regards
    Antony

George F. Rose

Hi Marie,
    I am a part of your line from Richard (1727) m. Mary Hyatt (1745). I am descended from their eldest son Richard (1746) in Long Compton, War. I believe I can get back another generation or so from Richard (1727). There is some interesting information to relate if you will contact me.
    Regards, George F. Rose

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello,

I've just started to resume searching the Rose family of Long Compton & Wolford Warwickshire. Somebody had posted a family tree on a different site so I have worked backwards from Henry Rose to Johanes Rose 1699 in Wolford. I'm presuming this is correct but sometimes with parish records it seems a bit hit and miss. If anyone can give me guidance it would be kindly appreciated. Thanks Susan