Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jon Whiting

Default Montebello, St Nicholas, Jersey - 1891 and 1881 info

One of my relations, Amy Blanche (Nicholson) FINLAY, is recorded in the 1901 census as living at Montebello, village St Nicholas (top part), parish St Peter, Jersey. I also know that later, another relation Hilda V. (Lloyd) DUNSTERVILLE, also lived there.

I am wondering how long it was in the family, and hope that someone can give me details of the occupants from the 1891 and 1881 censuses.

Also, if anyone knows when the house was built, and by whom, I would be grateful.

Regards
    Jon

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Whiting
    One of my relations, Amy Blanche (Nicholson) FINLAY, is recorded in the 1901 census as living at Montebello, village St Nicholas (top part), parish St Peter, Jersey. I also know that later, another relation Hilda V. (Lloyd) DUNSTERVILLE, also lived there.

I am wondering how long it was in the family, and hope that someone can give me details of the occupants from the 1891 and 1881 censuses.

Also, if anyone knows when the house was built, and by whom, I would be grateful.

Regards
    Jon
    Jon,

No FINLAYs in Jersey at all in 1891. In 1881, Francis GIRAUDOT, a "Retired Capt." and two servants are living at Montebello [written as "Monte Bello" by the enumerator].

HTH,
    Trish

Jon Whiting

Quote Originally Posted by Trish
    Jon,

No FINLAYs in Jersey at all in 1891. In 1881, Francis GIRAUDOT, a "Retired Capt." and two servants are living at Montebello [written as "Monte Bello" by the enumerator].

HTH,
    Trish
    Thanks for that, Trish. I didn't think of putting a space in when I searched 1881.
    Francis Giraudot also lived there in 1849, so I assume he probably built the house.
    My FINLAY relations were still at Aldershot in 1891, but I would still like to know who lived in Mont Bello in 1891. It seems that various members of my distant family lived there from at least 1900 until the 1940s. The house has now been converted to apartments.

Jon

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Whiting
    Thanks for that, Trish. I didn't think of putting a space in when I searched 1881.
    Francis Giraudot also lived there in 1849, so I assume he probably built the house.
    My FINLAY relations were still at Aldershot in 1891, but I would still like to know who lived in Mont Bello in 1891. It seems that various members of my distant family lived there from at least 1900 until the 1940s. The house has now been converted to apartments.

Jon
    Jon, I can't locate Montebello/Monte Bello with any certainty in the 1891 census...

I have found houses in the vicinity. Montebello is close to a house called Highfield in both the 1881 and 1901 enumerations. Highfield was occupied by the EDWARDs family in all 3 censuses and the son, Dudley/Dudly, has a name that is particularly easy to trace. [Reference: RG12/4700 Folio 15 Page 1]

Theoretically, Montebello should be in the vicinity but it isn't. The only possibility that I see is on the last page [16] of the reference I gave you above. There's a house name written in as the very last entry but it is listed as uninhabited -- the handwriting is very scrawly but the name could be "Montbello".

Jon Whiting

Quote Originally Posted by Trish
    Jon, I can't locate Montebello/Monte Bello with any certainty in the 1891 census...

I have found houses in the vicinity. Montebello is close to a house called Highfield in both the 1881 and 1901 enumerations. Highfield was occupied by the EDWARDs family in all 3 censuses and the son, Dudley/Dudly, has a name that is particularly easy to trace. [Reference: RG12/4700 Folio 15 Page 1]

Theoretically, Montebello should be in the vicinity but it isn't. The only possibility that I see is on the last page [16] of the reference I gave you above. There's a house name written in as the very last entry but it is listed as uninhabited -- the handwriting is very scrawly but the name could be "Montbello".
    Trish, Thanks for that information. It's quite likely that the FINLAY family were the first of my relations to buy the house in the early 1890s, so the house may have been empty. Thanks for the references and all your help.

Regards
    Jon

Loves to help with queries

Wink Montbello

Jan,
    You may be interested to know that good friends of mine recently sold this lovely property to move to smaller more manageable one,What a coincidence me reading this post.I will enquire from them if they know anything of its origins.

Tullamore

Jon Whiting

Quote Originally Posted by tullamore
    Jan,
    You may be interested to know that good friends of mine recently sold this lovely property to move to smaller more manageable one,What a coincidence me reading this post.I will enquire from them if they know anything of its origins.

Tullamore
    Thanks Tullamore. i look forward to hearing some more.

Jon

Stewart Hill

Jon

If you go to the Jersey Archive centre at https://jerseyheritagetrust.jeron.je/ - do an "All collections" and the "Place" search on "Montbello", there are references to previous occupiers.

Stewart

Jon Whiting

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Hill
    Jon

If you go to the Jersey Archive centre at https://jerseyheritagetrust.jeron.je/ - do an "All collections" and the "Place" search on "Montbello", there are references to previous occupiers.

Stewart
    Hi Stewart,

Yes, I had already seen that site. Thanks for your help.

Jon

demalpas

Default Finlays in Jersey

I came across the posts about Monte Bello in Jersey and although time has moved on a bit I think I could have a few extra bits of information about the Finlay association with Monte Bello. My father was born George William Finlay in 1912, the son of Captain George Malcolm Finlay who as killed at Yypres in November 1917. He (the latter) was the son of Lt Col William Finlay who lived in Guernsey at that time. Some time after 1917, the family moved from Guernsey to Jersey and lived at Monte Bello. On the death of Lt Col William Finlay (date unknown to me) the house passed into the possession on my father's Aunt Dorothy Finlay. My father who died in 1993, told me many times of his boyhood holidays from school in England spent at Monte Bello. My father's Aunt (I understand a maiden aunt) sold Monte Bello - I think - after the 2nd world war, in order to provide an annuity and lived in a small flat in Jersey until she died in the 1970's. some of the dates I have mentioned could be a bit wobbly, but I believe the facts are correct.

Michael de Malpas-Finlay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast