Maria

Question Beeton Of Lincolnshire Help !!!

Hi am new to searching for my ancestors, I have found lots of info. alredy but am stuck.
    I am searching for Joseph Chadwell Beeton, born 1816 Heckington, Lincs. Don' t know parents names. He married , don't know date or where Martha his wife, possibly her surname was Willerton that is a guess.
    He joined the Army not sure which Regiment 22 Foot or rifle ??? joined 1835
    He was in East Indies in 1840 ish to 1856. His children were born in Poona, Dugshdi, and Rawul Pindee East Indies. His daughter was born on board ship, Bay of Biscay, 1856 when he was discharged from the Army, as Colour sargent?
    I find him on 1861 Census living S. L. Militia Houses, Harrowby Grantham, is that a barracks???
    Cant find him on 1871 census.
    On 1881 Census found him in Alms House, Horncastle, Lincs. He died in 1885, , Lincs. I would like to see where he is buried and are the Alms Houses still there , 288 Queens street. Martha his wife died in 1882, Martha was born in Great carlton or Carlson Lincs cant find that place ?? Maria

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Maria
    I am searching for Joseph Chadwell Beeton, born 1816 Heckington, Lincs. Don' t know parents names. He married , don't know date or where Martha
    He may have married whilst in the army - check the Army Chaplains returns of marriages 1796-1880 - these can be viewed on 1837online (look under 'overseas') and certificates can be ordered from the GRO. A marriage certificate should give a father's name

Quote Originally Posted by Maria
    He joined the Army not sure which Regiment 22 Foot or rifle ??? joined 1835 He was in East Indies in 1840 ish to 1856. His children were born in Poona, Dugshdi, and Rawul Pindee East Indies.
    The birth of children should be included in either the regimental registers of births 1761-1924 or the Army Chaplains returns of births 1796-1880 - both indexes are on 1837online and certificates can be ordered, they should confirm the mother's maiden name and regiment.

He may just be included in the indexed records on TNA's catalogue
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp
    enter a surname in the word or phrase field and in the department or series code, enter WO. If he isn't, once you have found his regiment from a certificate, you should be able to locate his service record at TNA.

Geoffers

You'll find him in 1871 (in Horncastle) indexed as Joseph BATON (57).

Great Carlton is about 4 miles east of Louth.

The IGI at www.familysearch.org has Heckington baptisms ...

It has Joseph Chadwell BEEDON bap 6 March 1814, son of Daniel and Elizabeth

Of the same parents (also at Heckington)

1804 Jacob
    1807 Durham

I don't know where you got the name WILLERTON from, but there was a Martha WILLERTON bap in Gt Carlton ... 11 Sept 1831 (a bit late) dau of George and Mary ... she was aged 9 on the 1841 census, so it wasn't a late baptism. Before her, the last Martha baptised there was in 1803.

I'm also researching Joseph Beaton and am hoping we are looking for the same person. I actually have a photo of Joseph Beaton (your one) if you would like to get in touch. I'm researching his time in India as Joseph Beaton is listed as my GGG Grandfather. The issue is that the mother of his child was definitely Indian, so not Martha Willerton. However, I can't find any other Joseph Beaton in India at the same time. (c1845) Would love to share what I know with you. Karen

Super Moderator

On 1881 Census found him in Alms House, Horncastle, Lincs. He died in 1885, , Lincs. I would like to see where he is buried and are the Alms Houses still there , 288 Queens street. Martha his wife died in 1882, Martha was born in Great carlton or Carlson Lincs cant find that place ?? Maria
    Looking at Queen St. I see numbers 73 to 83 could be Alms Houses, but also numbers 61 to 73 could have been Alms houses too (the front doors were the same colour) Numbers do and have changed so 288 doesn't exist. Actually a lot of front doors seem to be the dark blue in that road.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Karen,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Maria hasn't been back to the forum since a couple of days after she made her original post in 2006, so it might be an idea to send her a Private Message just in case she doesn't receive notification of your post. (To send a PM, click on her username, and then choose the option from the menu beneath her name.)

I'm not sure if Joseph's wife had her name Anglicised (spelling???) but when one of his children, Euphemia (born in the Bay of Biscay) was baptised in Stoke Damerel, Devon, 14 August 1855, her parents are listed are Joseph and Martha. Euphemia's birthdate is given as 17 July 1855; Joseph's occupation as serjeant. (Image available on Findmypast.)
    Her birth is registered in the GRO Regimental Birth Indices (1761 To 1924) volume number 915 page number 95 and a copy of the birth certificate, which will give you her mother's maiden name, can be ordered from the GRO. Other details you might to order the certificate are place - Plymouth, and Regiment - 22nd.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp

The baptism of Euphemia's elder brother, Joseph (with whom she is living in 1891) is also on FMP, and again gives the parents' names as Joseph and Martha. Joseph junior born 12 January 1853, baptised 9 February 1853 in Rawalpindi.
    The other children's (Henry 1846 and George Durham 1851) baptisms also give the mother's name as Martha.

The 1861 and 1871 census both give Joseph(senior)'s wife as Martha, born Great Carlton. She's 40 years old in 1861, and 52 in 1871, but both times five years younger than Joseph.

The Willerton name must have some connection because when Joseph junior married in Holy Trinity Horncastle in 1880 gave his name as Joseph Willerton Beeton. Image of marriage entry in parish register again available on FMP. And his death was registered in the name of Joseph Willerton Beeton.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    Looking at Queen St. I see numbers 73 to 83 could be Alms Houses, but also numbers 61 to 73 could have been Alms houses too (the front doors were the same colour) Numbers do and have changed so 288 doesn't exist. Actually a lot of front doors seem to be the dark blue in that road.
    Sue, you might be wasting your time replying to a post made in 2006, but 73 to 83 Queen Street are definitely alms houses. 288 is the schedule number on the census, not the house number. Some of the original alms houses may have been demolished, or houses re-numbered.

Although, reading the census schedule and looking at the present-day numbering of the alms houses, I'm not so sure Joseph was living in one of them. He might have been living in the house at number 71, next to them.

Pam

Whilst searching for a marriage for Joseph and Martha, I found a burial for an earlier Joseph junior. Buried 4 Auust 1845, aged one-and-a-half, in Poona. image available on FMP.

In addition to the Martha's Geoff E. found in post #4, there's also a Martha Willerton, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth baptised in Great Carlton 2 August 1818. Image available on FMP.

Still no luck finding a Joseph/Martha marriage, though in my search I have considered that Martha was a widow when she married Joseph.

Pam