Nick Brown

Question Lost Ancestor - Parlimentariam or Royalist

I am trying to understand the social context and life of my ancestors during the Civil War. On the birth entry in 1643 for Matthew DYBNEY one of my 8 X Great Grandfathers, it states his mother as Anne DYBNEY (alias PALMER) there is no mention of his father but am assuming he may have been part of the forces fighting or had already killed. The entry was in the local Parish register.
    From maps of the countrywide split the area around the village of Lelley in South Holderness, East Yorkshire was controlled by the Parlimentarians. Is there any way of finding if his father fought or was killed during this period? On which side would he have been? Did the local landowner determine who he would have fought for if he did?
    Any pointers in a direction to solving this small brick wall in my research would be gratefully recieved.

Nick

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Brown
    On the birth entry in 1643 for Matthew DYBNEY....it states his mother as Anne DYBNEY (alias PALMER) there is no mention of his father but am assuming he may have been part of the forces fighting or had already killed.
    I wouldn't necessarily jump to the conclusion. I suggest looking through the whole parish register (yes, it can take a while) to see if the local cleric was one of those good souls who made lots of notes to help genealogists 360 years later. Endpapers of a registers seem to often carry odds and ends; you might be lucky to find some notes near to the actual baptism. Look at the context of this baptism and if there is a great change in surnames appearing in this parish, or if there are several other illegitimate births - why the alias? Is there any comment on that? Is Anne Dybney @ Palmer a local lass, or has she moved here?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Brown
    Is there any way of finding if his father fought or was killed during this period?
    It's unlikely, but even more so without a name.

Geoffers

Nick Brown

Many thanks for the reply.Geoffers.

I have looked at the register many times but couldn't see any other mention of a male DYBNEY that would link to Anne. I have always thought that the clerk was showing me a link by putting alias PALMER but have been unable to find her as yet. As my knowledge of the Civil War period is very thin it was a long shot as to the possibility of any records relating to my family. Many of the books for the South Holderness area of East Yorkshire conflict on which side it was on. As it was Hull that refused the King access to the armoury of the town, many of the surrounding area supported Cromwell but then he is said to have gone to Paull just outside Hull, where he found support. I suppose it is going to be hard to pin down individual loyalty to any particular village or area. Many thans again.

Nick

Ellen

Hi Nick ...if you are still 'there' & have still not solved the above, have you tried Dobney ? I have a Dobney from the same area & the name goes through a variety of manifestations....originating with D' Aubeny - Norman. My Dobney was married to a Wortley & Palmer is a name that does occur in the general line-up.

Knowledgeable and helpful

One thing to think about in the civil war was people changed sides.

It was not a case that at the start lines were drawn and one was a Royalist or a Parliamentarian in many cases the people would change sides according to who “occupied” the district at that particular time.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Also aside from Parliamentarians & Royalists there were also vigilante groups of locals who banded together to protect their community from the excesses of both sides.
    Alice Dybney's maiden name could have been Palmer, or she was a widow who had married a Palmer or she had an alias for some other reason? Hard to work out from a single entry. Have you checked for other marriages with those names?
    As for history I recommend "The English Civil War" by Diane Purkiss as a good read