Thread: abbot familly

davidabbot

Default abbot familly

looking for any information on the abbot familly who use to live at cockfield durham..
    Richard abbot born 1819 burton westmorland. died 1904 Married Sarah greenwell born 1817 lynesack durham died 1890
    benson abbot born 1843 cockfield durham died 1927 married phylis hope born 1844 not coxho durham as listed on ancestry.co.uk 1901 censurs but is correct for1881 as cockfield
    Arthur abbot 1887 born etherley durham died 1947 married jane florance brooks born 1886 died 1978
    Looking on line found new reletive Isaac abbot or Issac abbott we spell it with one t
    born 1856 satley durham
    Elizabeth abbot born 1864 evenwood durham
    Richard abbot born 1865 cockfield durham
    Stephen abbot 1867 born cockfield
    Alfred abbot born 1870 cockfield
    Theresa may abbot born 1879 cockfield
    Margret annie abbot born 1881 new field durham
    Agnes abbot born 1872 eppelby yorkshire or durham died 1974 married arthur errington
    Sarah e abbot born 1876 cockfield
    Alfred william abbot born 1869 cockfield
    George abbot born butterknowle died 1883
    George abbot born 1881
    Last edited by davidabbot; 26-02-2006 at 9:29 PM.

Hi David

From the information you've given there are several children for Richard and Sarah that you don't seem to have. Here is the 1851 Census entry for that family.

HO107/2389 Folio 588 Page 4 Sch 14
    Green Field Cottages, Satley, Co Durham

Richard ABBOT Head Mar 32 Quarryman Burton in ????ling Westmorland
    Sarah ABBOT Wife Mar 34 Durham Limcock & Softley
    Benson ABBOT Son 8 Durham Cockfield
    John ABBOT Son 3 Durham Wolsingham
    William ABBOT Son 1 Durham Cockfield
    Richard ABBOT Senr Father of the Head 59 Quarryman Westmorland Kirkby

By the 1861 (Durham) Census children Isaac (1855) and Angelina (1857) are included.
    By the 1871 Census (Yorkshire) daughter Elizabeth (1863/64) is included.

Following Census' have some of the children you name above entered as Grandchildren, so it might be useful if you could group the children with their respective parents.

Are there any other Census entries that you need ?

Regards

Helen K

Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright of The National Archives

davidabbot

Default abbot fammily(cockfield durham)

is any one else doing reserch on this branch of the abbot family if they are could they please post any more information about the family or where i could get some from.

davidabbot

Default abbot family

any one doing reserch on the abbot family can you post any information that might help

gwen646

hi David,
    i have all of these connection's that you mention,please get in touch,have left a message on G R.
    all best Gwen.

margaretwrigley

Hi David:
    My name is David Wrigley, living in Cheshire.
    My mother was Dora Abbot, her father was Stephen Hope Abbot, his father was Benson Abbot and prior to him there were the two Richard Abbots going back to 1792 for the birth of the first one in Kirkby Lonsdale.
    Have fleshed out our family tree to a certain extent although do not have your name on it - but thinking you might be descended from Arthur Abbot - Stephen's brother - so we could be second cousins.
    Would love to hear from you.

davidabbot

thanks for the reply have you got a birth date for dora abbot is she still living are you on ancestry.co.uk with you family tree
    any other family members i have not got hope both trees mach up

TimViggars

Default Benson Abbott

Hi David,

Bit of history for you that you may or not already know;

I live in Abbotts Houses in Butterknowle, In the 1911 census, when you dig a bit, they were originally called Benson Abbott's Houses and were occupied by colliery workers. Benson Abbott was listed as a Quarry Owner until 1891, from then he was listed as a Deputy Overman (deputy supervisor) and eventually pit manager. This downturn in fortunes seems to be supported by his bankruptcy in 1879, the houses are believed to have been built in the late 1870s but do not show in any census pre 1911.

The possibility is that they were built before his bankruptcy but then not occupied until the early 20th century, the "Benson" part of the address seems to disappear around 1911 as it was only the occupiers themselves who called them Benson Houses. The official title by the census was Abbott's Houses but when asked to sign the cover sheets each resident called them Benson's Houses, one even went so far as to write the name "Benson" in pencil next to the official inked version of "Abbotts Houses".

What I can't work out is the location of the quarry that he owned, there is a quarry at the bottom of the hill down a footpath, but I have no evidence to support his ownership.

Hope this will be of interest

Tim

gwen646

Yes David I am researching Richard Abbot*(1819) & His brother Robert Abbot* (1820)