Eyesee

Default BULLINARIA from Medway area

Looking for descendants of or anyone researching the Bullinaria name from Medway area. Have trolled through all the parishes on CityArk.

Andrew Bullinaria is alleged to be Italian in origin and settled in the Medway area about mid 1770s. Married twice, with family from both wives. Mostly stayed in this or London area until recent times. One branch moved to Aberdeen in Scotland, one later to Devon, and one to Hampshire.

Spelling in most cases has stayed the same, but in one line has varied from Bullinnaria to Bullinaire, with some in the Hampshire area spelt that way today.

Ian C

Chris Haines

Elizabeth BULLINARIA born 1842 Rochester married my distant cousin George BURREN. I believe that Elizabeth was the granddaughter of Andrew BULLINARIA and Susanna née MAXWELL, via William BULLINARIA born 1808 Rochester (bap. Chatham St Mary).

Curiously, there was another Andrew - often spelt BULLINARA - with wife Sarah née JACKSON also baptizing their children at Chatham St Mary in overlapping years over the turn of the 18th/19th century.

It seems clear from the baptism and marriage dates (and the name of the mother given at baptism) that there were two Andrew BULLINARIAs rather than one Andrew and 2 successive wives. I'm assuming that not even the boldest of bigamists could get away with marrying two wives and baptizing their children in the same parish. The ranges of children's baptism years suggest that the first Andrew was probably younger (born late 1770s?) than the second one (born early 1770s?). Were they cousins perhaps?

Chris

Mutley

Hello Chris,
    Ian has not been on the forum for over a year. I hope he receives notification of your post and comes rushing back to get in touch.

Good Luck

John Bullinaria

I believe Andrew BULLINARIA (born 1777) who married Susanna MAXWELL in 1801 was the first son of Andrew BULLINARIA (born ~1744) who married Ann PEARCE in 1776 and Sarah JACKSON in 1796. Ian was referring to the older Andrew.

BTW - I am always happy to hear from other Bullinarias. Just Google my name if you want to see who I am first.

John Bullinaria.

PatriciaJ

Hi Ian, I appreciate you put this message on the web site in 2006 however we have only just started researching my husband's family history. We believe that my husband's grandmother was a descendant of Andrew Bullinaria (spelt the same way). She was born to Andrew Bullinaria (son of the Andrew you are researching) circa 1839 in the Medway towns. Andrew junior married Rosina Charity Jones Rattenbury who was born in 1843 in Devon. My husband's grandmother's name was Lydia Emma Bullinaria born 1877 and she had three sisters and one brother. We know that Andrew Bullinaria born cica 1839 came from the Medway towns and he had a sister Emma Agnes who married Theophilus Robert Creber. Do you think that there is a connection - we could be the Portsmouth/Hampshire link that you are looking for. This strand of the family still resides in Hampshire. Regards Patsy J

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post Family

Quote Originally Posted by John Bullinaria View Post
    I believe Andrew BULLINARIA (born 1777) who married Susanna MAXWELL in 1801 was the first son of Andrew BULLINARIA (born ~1744) who married Ann PEARCE in 1776 and Sarah JACKSON in 1796. Ian was referring to the older Andrew.

BTW - I am always happy to hear from other Bullinarias. Just Google my name if you want to see who I am first.

John Bullinaria.
    Hi all my family tree is on the ann prarce line my grate grand mother was Florence Maud (Bullinaria then her name went to etherington) born 1896

Good Morning Simone,

I hope that you are well. I am looking at the Family History as on My Grandmothers side she was a Bizley but before that the family were Bullinaria.

Andrew Bullinaria is buried in St Mary's Churchyard Chatham - I have been meaning to visit the grave for some time - message back as we are probably related!

Good Morning Patricia,

I hope you are well.

Gosh I need to do some research! I do love researching family history it is so fascinating.

Andrew Bullinaria is buried in St Mary's Churchyard Chatham - I have been meaning to visit the grave for some time - message back as we are probably related! I have the document from 1833!

Died November 25th aged 89 in the year 1833

I should state that Andrew Bullinaria was my Fifth Great Grandfather!

Kind Regards