Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Brian57 View Post
    My great great grandfather was Trooper John McCausland of the 8th Hussars. Family lore has it that he was a participant in The Charge of the Light Brigade and was captured during the battle, however the scant records appear to show that the 8th were held back by the commanding officer so I am unable to reconcile the family story to the battle accounts, can anyone help me clarify this?
    Regards
    Brian Wilson

have you seen his entry in the book "Forgotten Heroes" by Roy Dutton ? - (easily found on google if you haven't)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you very much for the information, I had not known about Roy Dutton’s book but have now read the appropriate section which states that he did ride in the Charge. Again many thanks for your input.
    Regards
    Brian Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Brian57 View Post
    Thank you very much for the information, I had not known about Roy Dutton’s book but have now read the appropriate section which states that he did ride in the Charge. Again many thanks for your input.
    Regards
    Brian Wilson
    if you are able to get access to historic British newspapers (through FindMyPast or British Newspaper Archive), I think your ancestor gets at least two mentions - once in May/June 1890 when a fund-raising entertainment was put on at the Free Trade Hall, Manchester (Manchester Evening News), in which he participated. Secondly in an August 1891 Sunderland newspaper, though I'm not sure of the context, I think the article is headed "Balaclava Heroes". There may well be other newspaper references.

I think there's another mention in 1893 - the year of his death ? (Sunderland again)

Have you already researched him in military records ? it looks as if FindMyPast has some sort of Crimea service record (I don't have a subscription to look at it).

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    once in May/June 1890 when a fund-raising entertainment was put on at the Free Trade Hall, Manchester (Manchester Evening News), in which he participated.
    that is referenced on page 381 of Dutton's book

FindMypast has records for a John Mccausland of the 8th Hussars (N0. 1114). It does confirm one of the newspaper mentions ("Balaclava Heroes") of his service in India
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Lawrence W Crider in his book "In search of the Light Brigade" (available on google books) includes a photo of Buffalo Bill appearing with survivors of Balaclava. It mentions that the character 6th from the left, front row" is possibly Mccausland.

The google book is searchable and the photo can be viewed. There are several Mccausland mentions.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Lawrence W Crider in his book "In search of the Light Brigade" (available on google books) includes a photo of Buffalo Bill appearing with survivors of Balaclava. It mentions that the character 6th from the left, front row" is possibly Mccausland.

The google book is searchable and the photo can be viewed. There are several Mccausland mentions.
    Thanks for that, there is an original print of that photo in the family collection and I can confirm that John McCausland is indeed the gentleman sitting sixth from the left with sword in hand. I will look up Crider’s book, thanks for the head’s up.
    Regards

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Speaking of the Charge, I have a book which lists the participants, by regiment. There is some biographical information for some names. Not easy doing lookups; but if someone has a name, preferably accompanied by rank and regiment, AND good reason to think that the man was in the Charge, I'll give it a try.

Peggy
    Hi Peggy, I'm not sure if you're still on here at all, but in your book do you see a Charles Lambert in the 13th Light Dragoons?

Quote Originally Posted by jamsieree View Post
    Hi Peggy, I'm not sure if you're still on here at all, but in your book do you see a Charles Lambert in the 13th Light Dragoons?
    Had you seen this item in the Milford News, a Michigan newspaper?
    https://digmichnews.cmich.edu/?a=d&d...981224-01.1.5&

See highlighted /middle page - column 3, half way down.

Another article in the Milford Times, Mar 5 1898, describes him as " ... a resident of this township ..."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456