mjcarpenter

Smile Half Way House Pub - Connahs Quay

Family legend has it that a great uncle - Edgar Ernest Butler - owned this pub at the turn of the last century. His was married to Katie Davies. Could anyone tell me where I can find some historical information on the building and tell me if infact it is still there. There was also a restuarant called the Butlers Rest which was on the bridge in Connahs Quay.

I am also keen to find any infomation on the Post Office in Prestatyn which was owned by another relative Ivor Jones.

Where would I find information on Ivor Jones and his wife Gwendoline Butler. This couple link the pub, post office and restaurant.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Michelle nee' Butler.

kazrbutler

Hi Michelle,

the following site has searchable directories for England and Wales covering a long period. You can search by place, date or keyword for directories containing entries. Once you have picked a directory, you can search on specific words to find "hit" pages containing them, go page by page, or browse.

https://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/index.asp

I have found it useful on numerous occasions.
    Hope this helps,
    Karen

valium

Default halfway house

Sorry to jump on your thread but have you any butlers from Worthen /Overton thanks Val

mjcarpenter

Smile Butler Family

Val, Sorry for the delay in responding, but none of my Butlers came from the areas you mentioned. Good luck with your search.

LindaS

Smile The Halfway Public House

Hi,

My family still live in Connahs Quay and some of them live round the corner from the Halfway! It is still in existence and I was there in May of this year for lunch.
    My father is 85 now but still has an amazing memory - I will ask if he remembers anything further

Linda
    (Brighton)

jonty58

Default Halfway House, Connahs Quay

My grandfather, Hugh Shaw, was born in a cottage next door to the Halfway House Inn at Connahs Quay in 1881. So does the current Halfway House Inn include the original building that existed then?

Jon Shaw
    Last edited by jonty58; 20-02-2011 at 9:43 PM. Reason: typo