Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jackson Family

Default Jackson Family

Hello all members.

I am a new and inexperienced member, so hope I do not tread on anyone's toes or do something I ought not to. Apologies in advance if I do.

I live in South Africa and am trying to trace my Jackson ancestors who seem to have originated from/lived in Lancashire (Liverpool) and Durham & Yorkshire (Stockton). The earliest ancestor for whom I have a birth certificate is William George Jackson, born 1.3.1846 at Stockton. He married Josephine Elizabeth Slater Curran 2.6.1873 at Walsall, Staffordshire. I am descended through the line of their older son William Charles Corlett Jackson, born 12.1.1874 at Stockton.

Although I have no certificate, I know that William George Jackson's father was Thomas Corlett Jackson, born 1817 Liverpool (St Peter's), and his parents were Thomas Jackson and Catharine Jackson. Thomas Corlett Jackson married Elizabeth Smith, born ca 1876 at Stockton, daughter of William Smith and Elizabeth Smith. They had a number of children, including my ancestor William George, Rhoda Catherine (married Charles Henry Beloe), Charles Henry or Harry Corlett (married Elizabeth), Arthur James Jackson, Emily Elizabeth (married Thomas Shairp), and Jessie Josephine Jackson.

If there is any member out there who may know anything about this family, or possibly even researched it, or have any suggestions for me, I should be grateful to hear from you.

Martin Jackson

Wirral

As well as Thomas Corlett's baptism, the IGI lists 8 other probable sibling of him, including Richard bap. 24 Dec 1838. As civil registration started in July 1837, it is possible that he was registered & so you could get his birth certificate. Unlike the baptism entries, the birth cert would give the maiden name (& any former names) of his mother as well as his father's name & occupation.

The IGI also lists the marriage of a Thomas Jackson to a Catherine Ashton 8 July 1816 St Peter's Church St, Liverpool (the parish church of Liverpool), which would fit with the birth of Thomas Corlett in 1817. Although at that time the marriage entry does not give info such as parents of the bride & groom, it would include names of witnesses which may be useful.
    I'll have a look next time I go to the library in the next week or so.

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jackson
    ...Thomas Corlett Jackson married Elizabeth Smith, born ca 1876 at Stockton, daughter of William Smith and Elizabeth Smith. They had a number of children, including my ancestor William George, Rhoda Catherine (married Charles Henry Beloe), Charles Henry or Harry Corlett (married Elizabeth), Arthur James Jackson, Emily Elizabeth (married Thomas Shairp), and Jessie Josephine Jackson....
    Martin,

Do you have any census info on your family? Does the following 1851 household belong to you [the enumerator's handwriting is a bit of a challenge]?

1851 Census: HO107/2383 Folio 501 Page 19
    ?Brown's ? St., Stockton, Durham

Thos C. JACKSON Head Mar 34 Merchant [born] Liverpool Lancashrie
    Elizabeth do Wife Mar 27 [born] Stockton Dur
    Wm George do Son U 5 Scholar [born] do do
    Alfred do do U 3 do [born] do do
    ?Catherine ?G. do Daug 2 [born] do do
    ?Henry G. do Son 5 months [born] do do
    Eliz. ?GRIFFITH [or GAYELL] Serv U 19 General Servant [born] Darlington Do
    Mary ?ASHBURY [or ISLEBURG] Serv U 23 do do [born] Croft do

Regards,
    Trish

Default Jackson Family

Hello Trish,

Thank you for your interest.

The 1851 census details you quote are in fact for my family. The oldest son William George Jackson, born Stockton 1 March 1846 was my ggrandfather. They also appear in the 1861 and 1871 census records, with some additional children and minus a few as well, who may have died.

William's father Thomas Corlett Jackson, my gggrandfather was the head of the family. He was baptised at St Peter's Liverpool 12 June 1817. His parents were Thomas and Catherine Jackson - I have no further information on them.

Regards,

Martin Jackson

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jackson
    William's father Thomas Corlett Jackson, my gggrandfather was the head of the family. He was baptised at St Peter's Liverpool 12 June 1817. His parents were Thomas and Catherine Jackson - I have no further information on them.
    Hi Martin, you will in a minute! I've been having fun at the library.

Wirral

Baptisms at St Peter's Church St Liverpool.
    12 June 1817 Thos. Corlett, to Thos. & Catharine Jackson of Pleasant Street, Merchant.
    12 Jun 1817 Sarah, to William & Eliza. Jackson of Moore Place, Merchant.
    These 2 entries were adjacent to one another. Also, the baptisms were carried out by Thos. Hill, Curate of Crosby. All the other baptisms were performed by J. Pulford, Curate [of St Peter's].

Marriage at St Peter's, 8 July 1816, by licence, between Thomas Jackson of the parish of Liverpool, Merchant, and Catharine Ashton, widow of the same parish. Ceremony performed by Thomas Hill, Curate of Great Crosby.
    Witnesses: Sarah Hill, Geo. Brown, Michl. Jaillet, Dor.y Charnley [probably short for Dorothy].
    There are usually only 2 witnesses to a marriage.

Wirral

Baptisms also at St Peter's, Liverpool to Thomas & Catherine , Pleasant St, Merchant:

Rhoda Catherine 13 Sep 1819
    George Christian 12 Sep 1822

All the entries in the IGI for later than this are born to a different couple (he is a labourer & they live in Clement St).

Liverpool Trade Directories to follow.

Default JACKSON FAMILY LIVERPOOL

Hi all,

It is some years since I last logged into this site, and while I have been doing some research on my family history I have not made much progress. It seems to be quite difficult working from South Africa without access to some of the tools available to UK residents. I keep drawing a blank on a particular paternal ancestor and have not been able to go further back in the line. Perhaps there is someone on this site who has done some research on my family or could assist or advise in some way?

I am fairly sure I have traced my paternal male line back to one THOMAS JACKSON, who was married to CATHERINE ASHTON (born CORLETT) on 8 July 1816 (St Peter's Church?). They seem to have had three children - THOMAS CORLETT JACKSON (christened ST Peter's Church 12 June 1817), RHODA CATHERINE JACKSON (Born 13 September 1819) and GEORGE CHRISTIAN JACKSON (Born 12 September 1822).

I think THOMAS JACKSON might have had a brother WILLIAM JACKSON, who was married to ELIZA HAMMILL on 13 July 1814. They seem to had had at least three children - JOHN JACKSON (christened St Peter's Church 29 November 1814), SARAH JACKSON (christened St Peter's Church 12 June 1817) and ELIZA JANE JACKSON (christened St Peter's Church 2 April 1819).

Although I am also interested in following up on collateral lines, my main interest lies in taking the paternal line back as far as possible.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Martin Jackson

Anyone out there researching Jacksons?

Hello all. Anyone researching Jacksons probably from Liverpool?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast