abelard

Question Norton/Stockton-on-Tees Quakers 1690-1730

I am looking for the minutes from the Norton/Stockton Monthly Meeting. I have the BMD information but need the additional information that should be in the other minutes. I'm researching Blackstone Ingledue who m. Margert Pattison (Patterson) c1719. Both sets of parents are thought to be dead and Blackstone's aunt, Elizabeth Smith gave approval. Is Elizabeth the wife of Caleb Smith? Is she the Elizabeth Ingledue who shows up in Pennsylvannia probate court about 1746 by way of a reference to the orphaned children of Blackston Ingledue? Thank you for your time, Karon Ingledue

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by abelard View Post
    I am looking for the minutes from the Norton/Stockton Monthly Meeting. I have the BMD information but need the additional information that should be in the other minutes. I'm researching Blackstone Ingledue who m. Margert Pattison (Patterson) c1719. Both sets of parents are thought to be dead and Blackstone's aunt, Elizabeth Smith gave approval. Is Elizabeth the wife of Caleb Smith? Is she the Elizabeth Ingledue who shows up in Pennsylvannia probate court about 1746 by way of a reference to the orphaned children of Blackston Ingledue? Thank you for your time, Karon Ingledue
    Hi Karon,
    I'm not sure if the following is relevant to your enquiry.
    Caleb Smith I (1679-1728) married Elizabeth Ingledew, daughter of Leonard and Elizabeth. They had a son, Caleb II, born 1699.
    Caleb I had a brother William (1665-1729), who married Frances Pattison (1674-1699)
    I see you posed your question eleven years ago! If you have further information on these Smiths I would be very interested to hear from you.
    Gyles Cooper

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Gyles Cooper View Post
    Hi Karon,
    I'm not sure if the following is relevant to your enquiry.
    Caleb Smith I (1679-1728) married Elizabeth Ingledew, daughter of Leonard and Elizabeth. They had a son, Caleb II, born 1699.
    Caleb I had a brother William (1665-1729), who married Frances Pattison (1674-1699)
    I see you posed your question eleven years ago! If you have further information on these Smiths I would be very interested to hear from you.
    Gyles Cooper
    Gyles

I found this thread when looking for something else, but I think I have some information that may be useful to both you and Karon (to the extent she is still watching this... or even if you are).

Before starting, I would like to know your basis for stating that the Elizabeth Ingledew who was married to Caleb Smith was the daughter of Leonard and Elizabeth Ingledew.

I believe that is in error.

I believe that the Elizabeth Ingledew who married Caleb Smith was the daughter of William Ingledew (1656-1698) and Alice Blackstone (1664-1696/97).

Substantiating this belief is a rather long document, a collection of images of pages from a 10 March 1730/31 lawsuit against Elizabeth Ingledew who had inherited parts of the estate of her father, William Ingledew, when he died in 1698. I will paste below the descriptive text of this information and the links to its source, but the gist of the claim is this:

William Ingledew supposedly invested money in the South Sea Company for the benefit of one Magnus Howeson who, like William Ingledew, was also a mariner. Now... in 1731... comes the widow and daughter of Magnus Howeson, 33 years after the death of William Ingledew, suing the daughter of William Ingledew (Elizabeth) and her children, with the apparent intent of recovering their allegedly ill-gotten inheritance. There are some other defendants, but the main ones are Elizabeth Smith (née Ingledew) and her progeny.

I have not made any attempt to "translate" the 73-page document (it is in English, and fairly legible, but will take some time to get it done), so I do not know if it reflects the judgment in the case, but the handwriting changes halfway through, so I am hopeful.

The main point is that all the children of Elizabeth Smith match with names I had seen before AND Caleb Smith (the first, identified as deceased, which coincides with your detail of death in 1728), is identified as the son-in-law of William Ingledew.

Right now, it is hard to say what became of this lawsuit, but it does not seem it was a catastrophic hit to the finances of the family of Elizabeth Smith because, as Karon pointed out, when Elizabeth Smith died in 1746, she willed a substantial sum of money for the benefit the children of her brother, Blackstone Ingledue. I have a copy of Elizabeth's father's will from 1698 and it is very clear that he willed her the liquidated value of his interests in ships and his shipping business(es). So it all adds up.

Anyway, I am wondering your thoughts on this and how it can be that Elizabeth Ingledew was daughter of a Leonard and Elizabeth.

Thanks in advance.

Mark Hunnibell

P.S. The info you provide on Caleb Smith I's brother William being married to Frances Pattison is interesting, if accurate. This is because Elizabeth's brother, Blackstone Ingledue (I am using the surname spelling as it is found in most records in the USA), married Margaret Pattison (1699-1725) in 1719. Seems virtually certain Frances and Margaret are related... or a very odd coincidence.
    SOURCE: https://uh.edu/waalt/index.php/C78_1731

Date: 10 March 1731

Subject Matter: Estate of William Ingledew decd, and debts due to the estate of Magnus Howeson, including money due to Magnus Howeson which William Ingledew had invested in the South Sea Company in his own name.

Parties: Samuel Harris clerk executor of Susannah Howeson widow, relict, and administratrix of Magnus Howeson mariner and also administratrix of said Magnus Howeson unadministered by said Susannah Howeson in her lifetime; and Mathew Tindale gentleman executor of Susannah Howeson the younger spinster daughter of said Magnus Howeson by said Susannah Howeson his said wife v. Elizabeth Ingledew and Ellis Gamble executors of John Ingledew; Caleb Smith; Elizabeth Smith; Ingledew Smith; Sarah Smith spinster; Marmaduke Storr & Hannah his wife, which said Caleb Smith, Elizabeth Smith, Sarah Smith, Ingledew Smith, and Hannah Storr are the children of William Ingledew's brother in law Caleb Smith; George Douthwaite; David Douthwaite; John Davison; William Trotter; Jeremiah Wakelin; Sir Richard Hopkins knight; John King; Henry Rames; and Elizabeth widow and relict of said Caleb Smith.

Roll/Case_No.: C78/1859, no. 6

Images: https://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT7/C78/C7...9/IMG_0394.htm)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

By the way, Gyles, the notion that Caleb II was the son of Caleb I and Elizabeth Ingledew is problematic. While Caleb was born in 1679 and could have fathered a son in 1699, Elizabeth Ingledew was only six years old in 1699. I have a SARAH as the mother of Caleb II (but have no more info than that). That info comes from some Friends Meeting records in the Public Records Office image #50 in RG6/1362.
    Last edited by MarkHunnibell; 01-02-2020 at 11:02 PM. Reason: revise review of source of info