Thread: WYTHE family

bluesapphire

Smile WYTHE family

Dear all,

I have been looking for any blood relatives on my father's side. We are descended from Joseph Wythe, who emigrated from Manchester in the 1840's. Our family was originally from the Droitwich area, and I have traced our line back to Geoffrey Wythe (1250-?1362+) and his wife, Felicity. In our family line are these surnames of wives: Wyche, More, Jordan, Fincher, Smith, Price, Crockett, Chamberlain, and McHenry.

If you are researching any of these names, or are a Wythe, PLEASE e-mail me and I will be glad to share what I know. I have more information on these names, and I would very much like to get in contact with members of any of the Wythe family who may still be in Worchestershire.

Birth places for my direct ancestors include Droitwich, Hanbury, Himbleton, and Old Swinford. I have some information on ancestors that were buried at St. Peter de Witton in Droitwich.

I am also trying to discover our blood relationship to George Wythe, who signed the (American) Declaration of Independence. Since the Droitwich area is the home of the only Wythe family in England, I am confident that we will find such a relationship. I have traced George Wythe back to immigrants to America in the early 1600's, however, since he had no direct descendants that survived, it has been challenging to trace his ancestry. The family resemblance of George Wythe in both looks and personality to several of my close male relatives is striking. And since George Wythe was an extremely influential leader, it would be nice to think that I was related to him. (He was mentor to Jefferson and Madison.)

To all those who are looking for relatives in Worchestershire, Good Luck! I am sure that far back in the mists of time, many of us are related. Perhaps, three or four thousand years ago, an ancestor of all of us fished on the banks of the Severn!

ziksby

Default Are any of these yours?

I'm not related to Wythe, but thought you might not have seen all these names.

The WYTHES named below are taken from my copy of Littlebury's Worcester Directory 1903

Wythes, George W,grocer and tea dealer, High Street, Droitwich

Wythes, John, draper, High Street, Droitwich.

Wythes, Mrs G. Worcester Road, Droitwich

Wythes, Miss Mary, Tagwell Road, Droitwich

Wythes, Thomas H, grocer, High Street, Droitwich

Wythes, Frederick John, farmer, North Piddle

Wythes, Joseph, Commandery farm, Crowle.

Wythes, Thomas H. farmer, Dunhampstead, Himbleton

I also have all the current WYTHES on the UK-info CD 2002

I can email that direct if you wish.

bluesapphire

Default WYTHE family

Dear Mr. Ziksby,

Thank you! I have seen some of the names you list, but not all of them. I would very much appreciate any information you have. on current Wythes You can reply to this post and it will be flagged in my own e-mail, as you probably know (it's new to me). My regular e-mail address is [email protected]

Thanks again!

Mrs. Romi Wythe Elnagar

ziksby

Default Glimpses of Himbleton

Hi Romi
    I've also emailed you seperately with a scan, but you may like to know that in the above named book, there are a number of Wythes references, including a tombstone inscription c 1600s and reference to Wythes around 1900 who played for the Himbleton Cricket Club. The book belongs to my son; the limited edition (100) hardback. There is a softback version, but I'm not sure it is still available. It was published locally.

SCRITTI

Smile Crocketts & Wythes

Hi
    I don't have any info on the Wythes at all - but I am researching the Crocketts of Salwarpe, Droitwich, Himbleton, Tibberton, Crowle and Bromsgrove going back to 1682 so any info you have would be much appreciated. My Grandmother was a Crockett, hence the interest!
    Hope to hear from you soon
    Lesley

Default Crocketts of Crowle/Tibberton

Hello,
    I too, have Crockett ancestors, William Crockett c1789 Crowle whose father may have been called Job but that's not confirmed. He married Elizabeth Randle and moved to Tibberton. Their children were Mary Ann, Sarah (my ancestor) Diana, William and Eliza.
    Any connection?
    Agness

SCRITTI

Default Crocketts

Hi Agness,
    it would appear that we are related. Your William was ch 6/3/1789 Bromsgrove, son of Job Crockett and Mary. Job ch 17/6/1753 Crowle was the son of Francis Crockett and Mary Bradford.
    Francis was the son of William Crockett and Joane Spencer ch 14/6/1714 Salwarpe.
    My connection is through Francis and Mary's son Francis ch 9/1/1740 Crowle who Married Elizabeth Oxford, through their son Job ch 10/9/1775 Bromsgrove who married Martha Eades. They had Sarah ch 17/4/1814 Bromsgrove who married Thomas Tranter but before their marriage Sarah had Mary Tranter Crockett ch ch 23/2/1834 who had Francis Thomas Crockett prior to her marriage with George Mugg (George Mugg is Francis's father). Francis m Emily Wood and had John Crockett m g grandfather.

Our common ancestor would be Francis Crockett 1714 who is my ggggggg grandfather. Do you want to swap trees? you can get me on scritti1 at hotmail.com.!

Hello, I am descended from John and Isabell (More) Wythe, whose monument is at St. Peter’s church in Droitwich. Would love to correspond and exchange information.

Default Wythe Descendant in the USA

Hello, I am a descendant of John and Isabell (More) Wythe, whose monument is at St. Peter’s church in Droitwich. I am descended from their daughter, Eleanor, who married Robert Collier. Their descendant (my ancestor), George Maris, became a Quaker and emigrated with his wife and children to North America (Pennsylvania) aboard the Bristol Comfort in 1683. George’s daughter, Elizabeth, married John Mendenhall (formerly Mildenhall) in Chester County, Pennsylvania in 1685.

With two sisters, John and his brother Benjamin Mendenhall came to Pennsylvania in the early 1680s. There have been thousands of known descendants of John and Benjamin in North America, and I am part of the Mendenhall Family Association (MFA) here in the USA. We are on Facebook, and our website is at www.mendenhall.org . Lately I have been focusing on the historical context for the two Wythe monuments at St. Peter’s church - but would love to know more about the Wythe family’s deep ancestral roots. Hoping to hear from you, Dan McEver, USA.
    Last edited by Daniel; 16-05-2023 at 2:59 PM. Reason: To improve my post