Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jennifer Brobst

Wink Pinkstones of Tiverton

Sailor,
    How is your husband related to William Pinkstone if you don't mind me asking. We are very distantly related.
    Thanks.

Sailor

Default Pinkstones

Hi Jennifer,
    We have spent hours recently trying to sort out this very complex family who intermarried with the Rowcliffe's also of Tiverton! Although not of any direct relationship, only slight family connections, William Pinkstone b. 1790 was my husband's 4x great grandmother's youngest brother's father in law!

ie. William & Ann's (Cowling) daughter Charlotte married William Rowcliffe Jnr.
    William Jnr's parents were William Turner Rowcliffe & Eliza Sellick.
    One of their daughters was Charlotte Maria Rowcliffe who married Thomas Darch Pinksone. Charlotte & Thomas's 2x great grandaughter was my husband's Mother, Margaret Pinkstone.

So, William Rowcliffe Jnr & his sister Charlotte Maria Rowcliffe both married into the Pinkstone family!!
    Regards'
    Margaret Holt

Junior

hi Jennifer,
    I am also researching the PINKSTONEs of Tiverton. My GGG grandfather was George PINKSTON (1804-1861) He was the son of Abraham PINKSTONE and Mary BERRY. He married Betsy Helen HEARN, and was a Congregational Minister in North Petherton, Somerset. He and Betsy plus 7 children emigrated to South Australia in 1849. He died in Adelaide in 1861.

Cheers

Junior

MarkPinkstone

Default What's in a name

I have been researching the Pinkstones in Australia, so if anyone in interested drop me a line at
    mark[AT]contact-hk[DOT]com
    I have made a note in my Ancestry page to wit:

Charles, the first Pinkstone to land in Australia, was the son of Robert Pingstone (Tiverston, Devon). In the 1822 Muster he was listed as Charles Pinkerton. It is believed the family originated from the hamlet of Pinxton, Derbyshire and over the centuries migrated to south England to Devon. The Pinxtons lived on the edge of Nothingham Forest where they were gamekeepers. This is borne out by the family Coat of Arms (aka Blazon-of-Arms) from the House of Heraldry (Inverness, Scotland) to wit: "Gules, three piles engrailed argent,meeting in point,each charged with as many pellets. The crest is a pine tree between two pine cones. The Motto is 'Plant On'".

Additional information about this story
    Description added by Mark Pinkstone
    Date
    Attached to Charles Pinkstone (1796 - 1871)

So over he centuries the name has been bastardised to become Pinkstone.
    Food for thought.
    Last edited by MarkJ; 28-07-2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Email address edited to deter spammers

MarkPinkstone

I have a Sarah Pinkstone in my family tree. Born in 1930, she was the daughter Charles Pinkston (from Tiverton, but went through a name change enroute - from Pingston to Pinkston) and Sarah Fidden. But this Sarah Pinkstone was born in Australia. So I don't know if this helps. I also have a note in this forum about the Pinkstones/Pingstons/pixtons in Derby.

MarkPinkstone

Do you have any idea who was the father of William Pingstone?
    thanks
    Mark Pinkstone

steveh37

Hi I don't want to muddy the water here but I to have a Pinkstone in my family tree he wed into it. He is Jem Pinkstone (1883- 1959) born in Tiverton Died in Canada. He wed Emma L Rambridge In December 1904 in Plymouth, Devonshire and they emigrated to Canada in 1910 His Father was Samuel Pinkstone (1857-1888) and his mother was Eva Fry (1856- 1896) they were both born and died in the Tiverton area. Samuels father was Thomas Darck Pinkstone (1824-1867) his mother was Charlotte Marie Rowcliffe ((abt 1828) was the eldest of 9)) they wed in 1850 in Tiverton area. and they had 6 Children I believe. there are 8 Public Members trees you can view on Axxxxxxy.

MarkPinkstone

Hi Carrie,
    Pinkstone, Pingston are the same. Pingston was the original and due to bad handwriting etc it eventually became Pinkstone.

MarkPinkstone

Anyone know the children of William Pinkstone. I'm trying to find the father of John Pinkston c 1760 -1796
    thanks
    mark

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Carrie,

Sarah Pinkstone is my Great-Great Grandmother. She moved, as you say, to Derby and there she married a John Winfield, who became a silk mill owner. I read that the mill owners in Derby funded some of the mills in Devon. Also, Sarah's father, Robert, had a draper's shop in Tiverton, so maybe he had contacts in Derby. I can't find anything about Sarah's sister, once she moved to Derby.

Best of wishes,
    Mary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12