Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    pockets

Default Elizabeth Siddall

hi
    I'm looking for Elizabeth Siddall from South Shields. born around 1870, 2years either side as the writing is hard to read whether she was 23 or 25 when my grandfather was born. Elizabeth migrated to New Zealand but as yet to trace the shipping list for her.
    any sightings?
    thanks for your assistance
    Julianne

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Is this her family in 1881? (online Latterday Saints web site)

This is the only one that comes up born South Shields. If this is not her family then they may have all emigrated prior to the 1881 census.
    Household Record 1881 British Census
    Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
    Samuel B. SIDDALL Head M Male 44 Staverley Bridge, York, England Theatre Proprietor (Thea Serv)
    Julia A. SIDDALL Wife M Female 45 South Shields
    James SIDDALL Son U Male 22 Leeds, York, England Manager Of Theatre (Ther Serv)
    Adelaide SIDDALL Daur U Female 20 Leeds, York, England
    Amelia SIDDALL Daur U Female 18 South Shields
    Mary A. SIDDALL Daur U Female 15 South Shields
    Elizabeth SIDDALL Daur U Female 9 South Shields

Source Information:
    Dwelling Coronation St
    Census Place South Shields, Durham, England
    Family History Library Film 1342209
    Public Records Office Reference RG11
    Piece / Folio 5020 / 24
    Page Number 17

pockets

Thumbs up Elizabeth Siddall

Thank you, yes I think it must be her as my mum has mentioned about the theatre. this is soooo very exciting as this is my second posting today with great results. Now to find her marriage certificate. Thanks heaps again
    Julianne

Lancelot

Default Found Elizabeth Siddall.

Quote Originally Posted by pockets
    hi
    I'm looking for Elizabeth Siddall from South Shields. born around 1870, 2years either side as the writing is hard to read whether she was 23 or 25 when my grandfather was born. Elizabeth migrated to New Zealand but as yet to trace the shipping list for her.
    any sightings?
    thanks for your assistance
    Julianne
    The BMD shows Elizabeth Siddall born September quarter 1871 at South Shields.

mima

Default Elizabeth Siddall

Julianne,

Elizabeth's father, Samuel Broadbent Siddall, died at Kamo New Zealand on 4 Feb 1889.

I have other info on Samuel if you would like to email me direct.

Default new search Adelaide Siddall

Hi,

It's ten year later but I would like to react to this thread. I am searching for any information about Adelaide Siddall, the elder sister of Elisabeth. She married my grandfather, Jan Cornelis Küller on the 24th of november 1883 and divorced him on the 14 th of september, 1899. I am curious about her life afterwards & happy to receive any information about her background. Was she really an actress? Could you tell me more about the theatre, that belonged to her father, Samuel B Siddall? Did she migrate with the family to New-Zealand? Did she and my great-grandfather have children? Hope to hear from you. Thanks.

In an 1885 court case for damages (which he won) Samuel B Siddall is described as "... the owner of the George Hotel, North Shields, the Grand Theatre, Mill Dam, South Shields and the Princess Theatre, North Shields."

https://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/SouthShields.htm

Click on link and click on "The Grand Theatre & Cirque of Varieties"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Also click on "the Royal Alhambra Music hall"

In 1874 Samuel B Siddall, proprietor of the Alhambra Music Hall was in Court and fined £5 for putting on a show without a licence.

Just shows you can't win them all!

Also click on "North Shields Theatres" and check out "Siddall's Concert Hall"

Default Wonderful

Wow, delighted to discover these unexpected treasures in my.mail box. THANK YOU ever so much!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marie-Louise View Post
    Was she really an actress?
    On one occasion S B Siddall agreed to all four daughters appearing at Siddall's Grand Theatre & Cirque

"... Miss Polly Siddall, Soprano and Descriptive Vocalist; Miss Lizzie Siddall, the clever little burlesque Actress and Vocalist that can make you laugh; Sisters Amelia and Adelaide in a grand American Song and Dance Entertainment ... for this Night only, the Grand Duet entitled "Slavery Days" by Misses Polly and Lizzie Siddall ..." (Shields Daily Gazette, 22 Oct 1880)

The same paper,Nov 1892, reported Adelaide appearing in Amsterdam "... the honours of the evening were carried by this lady...", singing in English, German and French.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast