Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    pockets

Default McCracken - Carter families

Greetings from New Zealand,

I'm looking for my great grandfather, David McCracken born 1859 Padstow, his father was James McCracken who married Phillipa Carter.
    David married Jessie Ann Inkster here in New Zealand. I have no idea when he migrated to NZ so any info of the above would be most appreciated.

I'm very new to this genealogy and have got hooked very quickly
    Thanks in advance
    Julianne

Scottie

Thumbs up James McCracken born Scotland married in Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by pockets
    Greetings from New Zealand,

I'm looking for my great grandfather, David McCracken born 1859 Padstow, his father was James McCracken who married Phillipa Carter.
    Julianne
    Hello Julianne,
    I can tell you that James McCracken was not born in Padstow. He was a Mariner born in Scotland. I believe Philippa Carter to be the daughter of William Baron Carter and Maria Langdon married 22 sep 1814 in St Mawgan. Most of their children were born in St Columb Minor but Philippa says she was born St Mawgan or Padstow in the censuses. I can take the Langdons back to about 1720 in St Columb Major. William Baron Carter was also a Mariner and was dead by 1851 so I have been unable to find his birthplace as yet.

James and Philippa had 4 children in Padstow all baptised as Bible Christians.

Scottie

Thumbs up James McCracken's children

Part 2

The children were Janet born 1855 Padstow christened 28 Oct 1858 on St Ervan Bible Christian Circuit married a man called Anderson and had a son born 1878 in Padstow. She was in London in 1881

Mary was born in 1856 and baptised with Janet. She married a Thomas Boulter and was also in London in 1881

James was born 1858 and christened on the same date as the girls. I have no sighting of him after 1861

David was born in 1859 and baptised 8 Jul 1859 on the St Ervan Bible Christian Circuit. He was still in Padstow in 1871 with his Mother but was not with her in 1881. She was in London by then. I hope this helps a little

Scottie

Thumbs up William Baron Carter of St Endellion

Hello again,
    I have found William Baron Carter born 1794 in St Endellion to Thomas Carter and Susanna Baron married 18 Aug 1793 in Altarnun. He was the eldest son and there were ten children in all.

pockets

Thumbs up McCracken

woohoo you are good!!!
    What a wonderful introduction to your site. I thought you might like to know that James McCracken apparently jumped ship somewhere along the way and ended up down under.
    thanks again and I will be in touch again soon I'm sure
    J

pockets

EEEEK!! apologies for that last statement as it was David who apparently jumped ship.
    David McCracken is my GG Grandfather who is the one who jumped ship here. He married Jessie Ann Inkster who came to NZ on the 'Star of China' in 1875.
    They had 5 children of which one is my grandmother Elizabeth McCracken who married William Wallace Gibson.
    Thanks again
    cheers
    Julianne

debco

Question Other Carters at Padstow

I'm intrigued by the posts to date and happen to have some Carters of my own in the Padstow area. Thomas Carter was born about 1801 in Cornwall. He states Port Isaac on the 1851 census, but lives in Padstow much of his adult life. He was a shipwright and married a Mary Ann Geach. They had three daughters, Mary, Ann and Georgianna befor Mary died. He then remarried a Jenifer (not sure of surname) before he too passed on in 1857. I don't know who his parents would be. Any ideas where I might try looking? Thomas and Mary are buried at Padstow as are Mary's parents. I realize Port Isaac isn't terribly far from Padstow, but just wondering if there are any parish records in existence.

Debbie

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Debco

Marriage for Thomas Carter and Mary Ann Geach 22-10-1833 Bodmin Cornwall.

LDS/IGI batch no M20021752 sheet 00 source call no 0236546

debco

Talking Thomas Carter Marriage

Thanks. I already had the marriage record from the IGI. Sadly there are several Thomas Carters born around 1801 in the area and I'm looking for corroboration of his identity. Currently it appears that his parents may be a Thomas Carter and Susannah at St. Endellion. (IGI again - 29 Dec 1799) Would really like to find someone else working this line, but will wait and see what turns up.
    Debbie

Scottie

Thumbs up News on Thomas Carter born 1799 St Endellion

Quote Originally Posted by debco
    Would really like to find someone else working this line, but will wait and see what turns up.
    Debbie
    Hi Debbie,
    I turned up. His second wife was Jenifer Veal born 1804 in St Columb Major and he married her on 8 Feb 1843 in St Breock. She was the widow of Richard King Thomas whom she had married on 22 Sep 1833 in Chelsea. Thomas Carter then died on 9 Dec 1857 in Padstow. Thomas's parents were Thomas Carter and Susanna Billing married 18 Aug 1793 in Altarnun and he was one of 10 children. Susanna was the daughter of Samuel Billing & Elizabeth Stribley married 15 Dec 1770 in Tintagel by license. She was first married to a William Baron and there is a child christened Elizabeth Baron who I suspect may have been Thomas Carter's as William Baron was dead long before the christening. The marriage to William Baron was 6 Oct 1790 in St Endellion and William Baron was buried 29 Oct 1791 in St Endellion.

Thomas Carter born 1799 left a will which can be obtained from the Bodmin Probate Office.
    Last edited by Scottie; 04-10-2006 at 11:54 AM. Reason: additional info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast