Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    debco

Smile Thomas Carter

Thank you so much for the information. It is invaluable. I will get in touch with the Bodmin Probate office and see what I can find in the will.

I'm curious as to what you might know about the Wilsons of Padstow or the Day family. The information I have goes back to George Wilson marrying Martha Day 20 Feb 1798 at Padstow. My information indicates they had three children christened at Padstow(from a parish record transcription film - 1600-1812 baptisms, burials), John Day Wilson, George Wilson, and Peter Day Wilson. There was another child, Esther born to George and a Patty Wilson in 1805. Do you know if Martha died? The Wilson family seems somewhat of a mystery beyond George. I haven't been able to locate definite parents for him in Cornwall, and old family records have given Edward Day and Martha Peter as Martha Day's parents which I suspect is wishful thinking as she would have been about 30 years younger than her twin siblings Peter and Edward. I'm sure I've been missing something in one of the parishes around Padstow (St. Ervan,St. Columb Minor, etc.). The Wilsons were mariners by trade, while the Days seem to have been gentry. I'm stumped as to how Martha Day relates to all the Days I've located at Padstow. If you have any clue, I'd love to know.

I don't think I can thank you enough for the information on the Carters. It is a precious gift. Thank you so much for the time spent tracking the information down. Research always takes me so much longer on this side of the ocean and to have you connect all the dots in one fell swoop is overwhelming.

Debbie

Scottie

Hi Debbie,
    I have answered this in our private email but forgot to say that Patty would not be a second wife. In my opinion it was a pet name for Martha. I have not done the burials however so cannot be certain. I must confess that I am very dilatory about transcribing burials

debco

Smile Patty/Martha

Not to worry. I spent so much time corroborating and organizing the information you sent me, that I've been informed by the family that I need to take a break for a few days from genealogy (teenagers!). Anyway, I suspect you may be right about the Patty thing. There were an awful lot of Marys and Marthas around England back then. Perhaps just one way to keep them straight. Thanks so much again.
    Debbie

cboulter

Hello, I don't know if you are still looking for family connections but I think this may help.
    Phillipa (McCraken) Carter was my Great,Great Grandmother, her daughter married Thomas Boulter (Great Grandfather)from Bristol. Their son George Boulter (Grand Father born1881) married Alice ?? their Son Sidney George Boulter was my father.

I hope this is OK

Colin Boulter

Jan1954

Hello Colin - welcome to Brit-Gen,

Unfortunately, Julianne (Pockets) has not visited the forum for nearly 3 years. However, she is still a member and, if you click on her user-name, a drop-down menu appears. Two of the options are to send a private message or an email.

Good luck,

Mark_Sandford

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Hi Debbie,
    I turned up. His second wife was Jenifer Veal born 1804 in St Columb Major and he married her on 8 Feb 1843 in St Breock. She was the widow of Richard King Thomas whom she had married on 22 Sep 1833 in Chelsea. Thomas Carter then died on 9 Dec 1857 in Padstow. Thomas's parents were Thomas Carter and Susanna Billing married 18 Aug 1793 in Altarnun and he was one of 10 children. Susanna was the daughter of Samuel Billing & Elizabeth Stribley married 15 Dec 1770 in Tintagel by license. She was first married to a William Baron and there is a child christened Elizabeth Baron who I suspect may have been Thomas Carter's as William Baron was dead long before the christening. The marriage to William Baron was 6 Oct 1790 in St Endellion and William Baron was buried 29 Oct 1791 in St Endellion.

Thomas Carter born 1799 left a will which can be obtained from the Bodmin Probate Office.
    Hi
    I have an interest in the Carters (through William Baron Carter & his wife Maria Langdon) and their connection to Padstow shipping. If this thread is still 'alive' I'd like to make contact ...

debco

Have been away from this particular line for a while, but if you want to tell me what you're looking for I can have a look and see how far we got with this particular line. I know the Billings line goes further back for sure. You can contact me via email if you wish at debico373 AT gmail DOT com
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 25-01-2015 at 5:11 PM. Reason: Email address disguised to deter spammers.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi I have the headstone transcription for Mary Ann Carter which may help you:- Sacred to the memory of Mary Ann Carter the wife of Thomas Carter of this town/ Master Shipbuilder , and daughter of John Geach and Mary his wife/ who died 26th March 1840 aged 35 years./Also to the memory of John Carter the infant child of Tomas aforesaid who died aged 3 years./ Also Susan Carter the infant child and Mary Ann Carter the ? day of May 1837 aged 3 days. The Headstone for Thomas :- In sacred memory of Thomas Carter of this town./ Shipbuilder who departed this life 9th December 1857 aged 58 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12