Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Whittingham Asylum records

My g grandfather, b1849 Bolton, is said to have been admitted to Whittingham asylum sometime in the early 1900's. The money to keep him there was from the sale of 4 houses he purchased on his return from Australia and Brazil! It was definitely after 1901 as he is in the census with his mother, in Bolton, then. Can anyone tell me whether there are records I can ask a UK rellie to physically access (I am in NZ) and where they might be?
    Thanks, Christina

Geoffers

If any records have survived they would probably be in the County Record Office. I'd suggest your relative contact them to see what they have (it varies from place to place), but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

Geoffers

Reputation beyond repute

Christina

National Archives website..."Search the Archives"..."Hospital Records Database" and take it from there.

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi Christina,

The records are held at the Lancashire Records Office (www.lancashire.gov.uk/education/record_office/ ) under Reference HRW. For example HRW/7 is the Register of Patients; Register of Admissions. LRO staff will, for a fee, extract details of records of patients born over 100 years ago and post them to the searcher.

HTH

Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Talking Whittingam

Thank you Peter, Peter and Geoffers for taking the time to give me some very helpful advice. I will act on it when I have a new computer monitor as at the moment anything on mine looks like one of the distorting mirrors at the fun fair.
    Christina

howwy_100

Exclamation Records Are Still At Whittingham Hospital

on a recent visit to whittingham asylum near preston, we found in a room thousands of overturned boxes with records of patients scatterd everywhere. im not sure why they are still there? I would have thought that by law they would have to be destroyed or taken away as they contan information that is very disturbing.

Why has nothing been taken away? everything is still there including rooms with clothes, books, hospital equipment etc.

Howwy

I read your message and was appalled. A quick look on google for a relevant authority to which I could complain and/or appraise them of the situation gives me ministers names but no email address apart from the cabinet office. The Preston Health authority appears to have many sites but for individual services. Maybe I should just send an email directly to Tony Blair's office. It is difficult when not living in the uk. Any one with any ideas for me?
    Christina

howwy_100

Lightbulb Christina

I would suggets you contact Lancashire County Council or mebe the Department of health (NHS) as they should have been the ones responsible for clearing everything up.

There must be someone that knows somewhere?

Even more suspect at Whittingham youre not allowed to take photographs even though the public footpath goes directly past the buildings and through the old gardens.

Default Whittingham records

Hi Howwy
    Taken me a while to get back to you - I haven't been at my peak for a few weeks. Mind you I don't think I'd recognise my peak if I fell over it. I will get on to both of the organisations you suggested and will let you know if anything eventuates. Thanks for your interest in this. Christina

Default Whittingham Asylum records

Hi Howwy
    whilst I was all fired up and in the mood yesterday I fired off emails to Lancashire County Council, the NHS in London and Tony Blair's office. Now to wait.
    Christina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast