Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sharron

I never had a definite connection between Samuel and my lot. At the time I 'collected' him, it was early on in my researches and everybody connected to Whitchurch was connected to me, which is why I put him in my database. Now, however, there are quite a number of Whitchurch Croxons who are probably connected, but I don't know how, so don't currently have them in my database. My tree stems from Prees, though it does meander a bit as I've developed the tree sideways.

But, it is the presence on the 1891 of Ann Spencer, mother of Samuel, aged 72, born Prees which makes me think there is a connection.

The IGI has the family with the surname Croxon. And I have an Ann Croxon born in 1819 (so 72 in 1891), born in Prees.

And Ann Croxon, born 1819 in Prees is sister to my great great grandfather Richard, born 1821.

(all of which reminds me of that comedy series Soap!)

Wirral

The IGI has a Samuel Croxton christened 1839 at Prees, mother Ann Croxon. As this is an "LDS member submission" rather than one extracted from the church records, it might just be cobbled together from the censuses. Or it could be an illegitimate son of Ann. Looks like you'll just have to wait until you can see the records at the records office. If he is illegitimate, then there may be bastardy records, or applications for poor relief. It might be worthwhile finding out in advance of your trip to the records office whether they are available, so that you have more time on the day.

Wirral

I don't know whether this will make things clearer or muddy the waters even more.

On freeBMD there is a marriage for Anne CROXON, Wem, vol 18 page 204. Wem district covers Prees. There is no-one else listed on the page, so it looks like it has not been fully transcribed. But, if you check the actual entry you will see that the transcriber has made a mistake & the page number is clearly 284, not 204. Putting the correct details into freeBMD you come up with some other names, including a Richard SANDS.
    So could this be where the SANDS name comes into the equation?

Sharron

I hate it that not all of the IGI is available all the time

But this game is like playing a giant game of pairs, isn't it? Your mention of poor relief is ringing bells with me. There is a lady in Essex, name of Chris Levey who is doing a single-name study and I'm sure she's sent me something about an Ann Croxon being on poor relief. I have lots of Croxons called Ann, though!

(And I'm now trawling through the 1851 for Prees, page by page and have found some Spencers in Prees )
    Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2007 at 2:53 PM.

Cradley

Wink

Hi Sharron

Betsy Sands is my first cousin twice removed. She does appear on the 1861 census, aged 1, when she is living with her parents, Thomas and Eliza, and her 10-year old brother Isaac in a cottage in Cotton, near Wem. Parents are on their own in 1871 but it is not unknown for an 11 year old to be a live-in servant so I could easily have missed her.

John

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

My husband is a croxon and I have back to 1600's but it is mostly in Essex if there is anything you would like me to check just send a message.
    aussiemaree

Settling in

Default Croxon - Spencer resolved?!

Hi - this evening I took a punt at seeing if there was any material online relating to a puzzle I have been working on - the Croxon Spencer puzzle... To my amazement I found your message here - a long time has passed by since you posted but hopefully we may be able to communicate.

Where to begin...

My grandfather, John Charles Rogers, of Morda, Oswestry, had an adopted brother, Wilfred Rogers. Through my research I discovered that Wilfred was born out of wedlock to one of John's aunts, Louisa Rogers. She was young and so gave Wilfred up to be raised by John's parents. Louisa Rogers went on to marry a chap from Whitchurch, Thomas Croxon. She had two children with him but then sadly passed away aged 40.

Ancestry.co.uk keeps pointing me to his father, one Samuel Spencer (according to ancestry.co.uk this chap served quite a bit of time in prison). I couldn't grasp why their surnames were different.

Coincidentally Whitchurch had another Louisa Croxon living in the town. She died in 1918. I accidentally ordered her death certificate instead of my Louisa Croxon. It turned out that the Louisa who died in 1918 died from Spanish Flu, and also lost her brother five days later as well as her husband of two months, Sidney Croxon. When I traced her husband's father he is none other than Samuel Croxon. I believe that Sidney Croxon was the brother of Thomas Croxon.

But what about the Spencer link. Well I found an article about soldiers from Whitchurch who served in the Great War. The website article tells the story of Thomas Croxon, also known as Thomas Spencer. Here is a quote "Thomas Harry Spencer, born 1 November 1878 in Whitchurch, Shropshire and baptised 31 January 1879 at St Alkmund`s Parish Church, Whitchurch. He was also known as Thomas Harry Croxon."

I have since discovered that in the ancestry records Samuel Spencer is listed as married to a woman named Beatrice. Similarly, Samuel Croxon is married to Betsy. As you have seen, their birth dates and other information is shared. There clearly is a significant mystery at play here.

I am so keen to find out whether you have further information on this and if you use ancestry.co.uk then I can share my tree and research with you.

All the best

Gavin Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Sharron View Post
    Here's a family that has been puzzling me for years and I had hoped to find when I subscribed to Ancestry, but no such luck.

According to the IGI, Samuel Croxon and his wife Betsy baptised three daughters in Whitchurch: Ada Eliza in 1885, Ethel Sarah in 1887, and Gladys in 1894. Now, I know how unreliable the IGI can be, but all of the births have been found on Free BMD.

With regards to Samuel and Betsy, I have found an entry on Free BMD which includes a Samuel Croxon and a Betsy Sands, but the entry is incomplete. It is in 1877, Whitchurch (which makes me wonder if there are more children!).

However, I have been unable to find any trace of them on any census return. Fair enough, they may have been mistranscribed in the index, but if the Betsy Sands who was born in the Wem district in 1859 is my Betsy, then why can I find no trace of her, or Samuel, who I assume is going to be of similar age, on any census return? Similarly, the children.

Were they all wiped out by a cataclysmic episode akin to that which took out the dinosaurs? It's possible. However, an Ada Eliza Croxon got married in 1902. Is she mine?

Does anybody have any pointers/idea/clue before I start buying certificates?

(PS I don't get paid until the 20th of the month!)

Hello Gavin, and welcome to British Genealogy Forums where we hope you enjoy your time with us.

Sharron who started this thread is no longer a member so it is unlikely she'll answer your post, however, we have other members who will be willing to try and help you sort out the Spencers, Croxon's and Sand's.

I've had a quick read of the thread and it is certainly a tangled web! I'll give it a go myself, these types of queries are good for keeping my brain alive

If you have any more information which would help with the search please post the details, any info from BMD certificates you may have would be great.
    Alma

Phew! It takes some mental gymnastics to sort out. Here are my findings so far.

Marriages Dec 1909, Whitchurch, S. 6a 1494
    Thomas Croxon/Louisa Rogers

I didn't find a Thomas and louisa Croxon on the 1911 census but did find a Spencer Croxon and wife Louisa living Whitchurch which led me to your tree on Ancestry, so I presume this is the right census. It is odd that Louisa's husband appears to have married as Thomas Croxon but is Spencer Croxon on the 1911 census and appears to have been known as Thomas Spencer on previous censuses.

If we assume Thomas Spencer/Croxon's parents are Samuel and Betsy and his siblings include Ada, Ethel and Gladys then it seems Betsy's maiden name was SANDS.

Birth registrations

CROXSON, THOMAS HARRY, Mother's maiden name SANDS
    GRO Reference: 1878 D Quarter in WHITCHURCH Volume 06A Page 775

CROXSON, ADA, MMN SANDS
    GRO Reference: 1885 M Quarter in WHITCHURCH Volume 06A Page 753

CROXSON, ETHEL SARAH, MMN SANDS
    GRO Reference: 1887 S Quarter in WHITCHURCH Volume 06A Page 731

CROXON, GLADYS, MMN SANDS
    GRO Reference: 1894 M Quarter in WHITCHURCH Volume 06A Page 715

I haven't checked the birth registrations for Samuel and Betsy's other children.

There's a corresponding marriage

Marriages Jun 1877 Whitchurch, S. 6a 1381
    Samuel Croxon/Betsey or Betsy Sands.
    Alma

Marriages Jun 1877 Whitchurch, S. 6a 1381
    Samuel Croxon/Betsey or Betsy Sands.
    Courtesy of Find my Past.

Parish Church Whitchurch, June 11th 1877.

Samuel Croxon, 21, labourer, no father's name entered.
    Betsy Sands, 20, father Thomas Sands labourer.
    Witnesses Samuel Griffiths and ??????? Dudley.

Birth reg.
    CROXON, SAMUEL (no MMN which usually indicates an illegitimate birth) -
    GRO Reference: 1855 S Quarter in WHITCHURCH Volume 06A Page 609
    Alma

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast