Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Settling in

Thanks for your input Pam - currently I only use ancestry.co.uk (worldwide subscription)and Free BMD for my research so am limited to a degree by the records they keep. I have yet to venture into using the FHC films - feels like another level altogether Will keep your instructions in mind when I move to that level - you have explained it well.

All the best

Gavin

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I'll leave this for now, if you can add anything of relevance that would be great, in particular census records for Ann Croxon/Spencer. Later, I'll take another look at census returns but I did invest a lot of time yesterday trying to find her with no luck but never say never. She has to be somewhere.

I may be confusing myself, (not difficult) but I think I found a record for an Ann Croxon/Thomas Spencer in 1855 alas I've tried to find it today but failed, it seemed to suggest they had a planned marriage which clearly didn't take place as they married in 1862.
    I concur that this marriage was on the cards in 1855 - the same year I believe Samuel Croxon was born - but was then postponed until 1862. I have ordered the birth certificate for Samuel Croxon born Q3 1855. It might list his birth as illegitimate and hopefully names his mum as Ann. Looks like his troubled start in life may have led to his wild years as a youngster.

Just out of interest, are you linked in some way to the Croxons?
    No, Gavin, the Croxon's are not linked to me.

I'm sorry I didn't get back here earlier but I was in bed very early last night as not feeling too good, I managed to sleep well and woke this morning feeling so much better and ready to face the day. I see Christanel and Pam have added some useful information

I'm going out for the day soon, if I get a chance this evening I'll take another look to see if I can add anything else.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    This one Alma? On ancestry but no image
    Ann Croxon
    Marriage Date - 10 June 1855
    Marriage Place - Whitchurch, Shropshire, England
    Spouse - Thomas Spencer
    FHL Film Number - 1702245
    Reference ID - item 5 p 55

On family search.org the transcripts says it is a marriage notice. Unfortunately the original image can only be viewed at a family history centre or affiliate library and they are closed at the moment.
    Christina
    Yes, that's the one, Christina. No wonder I couldn't find it as I was sure I'd originally seen it on FMP. I think it must be a banns record and for whatever reason one, or both called the marriage off.
    Alma

This one? Easy to find when you have done the spade work Alma.
    HO107 Piece 900 Book 12 Folio 54 Page 9
    Prees Heath Shropshire.
    Mary Pick(ril), (ert?) 60 (in occupation column says Widow but no occupation. Born in county? Yes
    Ann Croxen 25 no occupation. Yes (looks like an 'e' not an 'o' on the image
    Samuel Croxen 2 born in county? No
    John Furber 5 born in county? Yes. Further up the page is a Furber family

There is a transcript of a baptism at Prees,Shropshire 3 March 1816 for an Ann Croxon with only the mother , Mary Croxon named.
    Christina
    The 1841 census has another Ann Croxon living in Prees age 20 and looks to be marked down as required so could be born 1817 - 1821.
    Elizabeth Croxon age 55, Widow, Ann Croxon 20 and a Richard Croxon age 1 all born in county.
    HO107 piece 900 book 12 folio 15 page 23

One to be aware of?
    There is a baptism for a Richard Croxon or Wilkinson 5 May 1840 at Prees with the father John Wilkinson and mother Ann Croxon FHL Film Number: 503515, 506791
    Christina
    I think it most likely is the Ann 20, with Elizabeth 55, and Richard 1.

The reason being this is probably the other Ann Croxon

1851, Wem, HO107; Piece: 1995; Folio: 63; Page: 7
    Richard Walker 37, ag. lb. Shrewsbury
    Anne Walker 37, Prees
    Mary Walker 7, Dau, Wem.
    Thomas Walker, 4, son, Wem
    Annie Walker 8 Mo, Dau, Wem
    Samuel Croxton 11, visitor, Manchester

WALKER, ANN, Mother's maiden name CROFON [sic]
    GRO Reference: 1850 S Quarter in WEM AND WHITCHURCH Volume 18 Page 203

WALKER, THOMAS, Mother's maiden name CROXON
    GRO Reference: 1846 J Quarter in WEM AND WHITCHURCH Volume 18 Page 223

Samuel Croxton born abt. 1840 (Manchester) is also with the Walker family in 1861 where he's listed as Samuel Walker.

No Samuel born circa 1855 with them.
    Alma

The 1841 census has another Ann Croxon living in Prees age 20 and looks to be marked down as required so could be born 1817 - 1821.
    Elizabeth Croxon age 55, Widow, Ann Croxon 20 and a Richard Croxon age 1 all born in county.
    HO107 piece 900 book 12 folio 15 page 23

One to be aware of?
    There is a baptism for a Richard Croxon or Wilkinson 5 May 1840 at Prees with the father John Wilkinson and mother Ann Croxon FHL Film Number: 503515, 506791
    Christina
    I'm of the opinion this is the Ann Croxon we are looking for. I was hoping to find her in 1851 and possibly 1861 with her son Richard but no such luck.

Richard's baptism is on FMP in the original parish register here's how it's recorded

Baptism. 5th May 1840, Prees.
    Richard son of Ann Croxon, illegitimate son father John Wilkinson.

1851, HO107, Piece 1995, folio 33, page 4. Wem Union Workhouse.
    Richard Croxon 13, born Prees
    Alma

I had just begun to settle for him as the Spencer Croxon when I came across a Shrewsbury Trial record dated 18 October 1875 stating the sentence passed down to a "Samuel Spencer alias Croxon" is that he be imprisoned for 6 months for breaking into a warehouse. What is particularly interesting is that this 1875 entry states Samuel is 24 and married.
    I found this, could it be the same Samuel, the sentence is 6 months on both records, does your record say what Samuel stole?

Wrexham Advertiser 23 October 1875 reports Samuel Spencer (alias Croxon) 19, labourer, stealing at Whitchurch 16 Oct 1875, leather and copper, pleaded guilty and to two previous convictions 6 months imprisonment and 2 years police supervision.

And an earlier conviction.

19 March 1869 - Shrewsbury Chronicle - Samuel Spencer, alias Croxon, 12, stealing 18 Jan 1869 Whitchurch 13 boxes of matches, also pleaded guilty to a previous conviction 1866. 3 weeks imprisonment and reformatory for 5 years.
    Alma

The case is also reported in Whitchurch Herald 23 October 1875 where they name him as Samuel Spencer who was living with his mother in Yardington. He was charged with breaking into Mr Evans warehouse and stealing 2lbs of leather and 4s 2d in coppers. Sentenced to 6 months imprisonment and 2 years police supervision
    Alma

I have ordered the birth certificate for Samuel Croxon born Q3 1855. It might list his birth as illegitimate and hopefully names his mum as Ann.
    Wonderful, Gavin, don't forget to let us know what it reveals.
    Alma

The same Samuel?

Wellington Journal 09 April 1881
    Samuel Spencer 24, labourer, embezzled 3s 4d from his master at Whitchurch. A long list of previous convictions, sentenced to 5 years penal servitude.
    Alma

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast