Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I found this, could it be the same Samuel, the sentence is 6 months on both records, does your record say what Samuel stole?

Wrexham Advertiser 23 October 1875 reports Samuel Spencer (alias Croxon) 19, labourer, stealing at Whitchurch 16 Oct 1875, leather and copper, pleaded guilty and to two previous convictions 6 months imprisonment and 2 years police supervision.

And an earlier conviction.

19 March 1869 - Shrewsbury Chronicle - Samuel Spencer, alias Croxon, 12, stealing 18 Jan 1869 Whitchurch 13 boxes of matches, also pleaded guilty to a previous conviction 1866. 3 weeks imprisonment and reformatory for 5 years.
    Thanks for the really useful info Alma - in particular the Wrexham Advertiser article for October 1875 where Samuel is listed as 19 years of age. The sentence and supervision matches the Trial record apart from the age. I am inclined to go with my instinct here - I think the Trial record is an incorrect translation of the original doc. All the other articles you mention fit into the age profile of our Samuel Spencer alias Croxon. On a related matter I have found a death registration for a Thomas Spencer in Whitchurch dated 1865. I have good reason to believe he was the husband of Ann Croxon. The picture that is emerging for me looks like this...

Thomas Spencer and Ann Croxon were engaged to be married in July 1855, probably as a result of Ann being pregnant (Samuel). Though the Banns were first read 10th June 1855 the marriage did not proceed. Samuel was born in Q3 1855 ( I found what I believe is his birth registration and ordered the certificate). He was registered as Croxon. Ann Croxon then married Thomas Croxon in 1862. By then, if Thomas was living with Ann and Samuel it becomes understandable that Samuel is learning he is Croxon but Spencer. I cannot find a record in the 1861 census for such a household, so it is equally possible that Samuel is only seeing his father when he visits Ann. I cannot find an 1861 census record for Ann and Samuel living by themselves so this will remain a mystery for now. But from 1862 they are together. Tragically Thomas dies within a few years. Samuel is 10 years old and now without a breadwinner. By the age of 11 in 1866 you have found a record of him committing a crime, possibly out of desperation. He goes into the Salford and Manchester Reformatory School for 5 years. This is confirmed in the 1871 census where we find him aged 15. October 1875 we have him as 19 and in the newspapers as a criminal living with his mum. 1881 census and he is now in prison, 24, having married Betsy Sands in June 1877.

Getting there

G

Settling in

The case is also reported in Whitchurch Herald 23 October 1875 where they name him as Samuel Spencer who was living with his mother in Yardington. He was charged with breaking into Mr Evans warehouse and stealing 2lbs of leather and 4s 2d in coppers. Sentenced to 6 months imprisonment and 2 years police supervision
    Interesting possibility here - Yardington is the location of the Alms Houses of St Alkmunds Church - could explain that Ann was in a destitute situation living as a widow with a troublesome son.

Settling in

The same Samuel?

Wellington Journal 09 April 1881
    Samuel Spencer 24, labourer, embezzled 3s 4d from his master at Whitchurch. A long list of previous convictions, sentenced to 5 years penal servitude.
    Me again Hope you don't mind my dogged determination to solve this. I wanted to find out whether you are accessing the newspapers via the BNA online or some other source?

Thanks

Settling in

Another interesting turn of events in the life of Ann Spencer (Croxon). I have just discovered that within months of the death of Thomas Spencer in 1865 there was a marriage in Whitchurch between Ann Spencer (Croxon)and a James Bagley. When I looked up James Bagley and Ann Bagley in the 1871 census I find them in Whitchurch together with an 11 year old daughter Margaret. My maths suggests this child either belongs to James from a different relationship as she is too old to have come from the Spencer Bagley marriage, or else the 11 year old was the child of Ann Bagley (Spencer (Croxon)). I looked for an 11 year old born to James Bagley in or around 1859 and found nothing. I looked for an 11 year old born to Ann Croxon (predates Ann's marriage to Thomas Spencer in 1862) and sure enough there is she is in the Free BMD. Margaret Croxon, sister of Samuel Croxon. That we find Ann Croxon living with her daughter-in-law Betsy Croxon in 1881 suggests that by that time James Bagley was no longer around.

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by whytebyker View Post
    Thanks for the really useful info Alma - in particular the Wrexham Advertiser article for October 1875 where Samuel is listed as 19 years of age. The sentence and supervision matches the Trial record apart from the age. I am inclined to go with my instinct here - I think the Trial record is an incorrect translation of the original doc. All the other articles you mention fit into the age profile of our Samuel Spencer alias Croxon. On a related matter I have found a death registration for a Thomas Spencer in Whitchurch dated 1865. I have good reason to believe he was the husband of Ann Croxon. The picture that is emerging for me looks like this...

Thomas Spencer and Ann Croxon were engaged to be married in July 1855, probably as a result of Ann being pregnant (Samuel). Though the Banns were first read 10th June 1855 the marriage did not proceed. Samuel was born in Q3 1855 ( I found what I believe is his birth registration and ordered the certificate). He was registered as Croxon. Ann Croxon then married Thomas Croxon in 1862. By then, if Thomas was living with Ann and Samuel it becomes understandable that Samuel is learning he is Croxon but Spencer. I cannot find a record in the 1861 census for such a household, so it is equally possible that Samuel is only seeing his father when he visits Ann. I cannot find an 1861 census record for Ann and Samuel living by themselves so this will remain a mystery for now. But from 1862 they are together. Tragically Thomas dies within a few years. Samuel is 10 years old and now without a breadwinner. By the age of 11 in 1866 you have found a record of him committing a crime, possibly out of desperation. He goes into the Salford and Manchester Reformatory School for 5 years. This is confirmed in the 1871 census where we find him aged 15. October 1875 we have him as 19 and in the newspapers as a criminal living with his mum. 1881 census and he is now in prison, 24, having married Betsy Sands in June 1877.

Getting there

G
    I made an error in para 2 line 5. Should read "Ann Croxon the married Thomas Spencer"

Quote Originally Posted by whytebyker View Post
    Me again Hope you don't mind my dogged determination to solve this. I wanted to find out whether you are accessing the newspapers via the BNA online or some other source?

Thanks
    I don't mind at all, Gavin

I have access to newspapers via my public library's online database which is for library members only and Find my Past's 'British Newspapers'
    Alma

in 1865 there was a marriage in Whitchurch between Ann Spencer (Croxon)and a James Bagley.
    A good find, Gavin.

Here are the full details.

Parish Church, Whitchurch, Oct 8th 1865.
    James Bagley, full age, bachelor, labourer, of Green End, father James Brown Bagley, labourer.
    Ann Spencer, full age, widow, Green End, father John Croxon, labourer
    Witnesses: Daniel Slawson and Ann Chesters.

Margaret's birth registration is without a Mother's maiden name entered, so probably an illegitimate birth.
    Alma

Settling in

Hi Alma - thanks for this - I missed that you had responded. The info you supplied is very informative. How did you obtain the info? I am keen to learn more about genealogy as it is developing into a favourite pastime.

All the best

Gavin

Settling in

Today I received a copy of the birth certificate of Samuel Croxon, born 18th August 1855, Whitchurch. No father is recorded. Mother is Ann Croxon. Residential address given is Paradise Street, Green End, Whitchurch

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345