Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gloria

Default GUYANs in Aberdeen

I'm a new member who happened upon this forum after a Google search on the name GUYAN.

My grandmother's family were GUYANs from the Footdee in Aberdeen and prior to that from Nigg.

Anybody else out there researching this family name?

Regards
    Gloria

Charlottie93

Default Guyan Family

Hi I am researching the Guyan family history to. My great grandfather came from Aberrdeen in Scotland he married Margarat Lathon and had John, Cynthia and my grandmother Dorothy I know he came from Abeerdeen and I know they owned a Trawleer and I think there family originated from France during the Middle ages it was 1920 when my Great grandfather moved to Sunderland in county durham his name was James Robert Guyan

JulieT

Default Guyan

Guyans and Caies, historical origins:
    I am interested in any information you may have on the Guyans originating from France in the middle ages. I am also interested in the Caie line. I have found both Guyans and Caies in genealogical records in France dating from the 1500s, but I have not been able to find any information linking them with the Guyans and Caies in Aberdeen/Nigg/Torry. These are very unusual names. It must be possible to trace their origins.

Guyans and Caies in my family:
    My third great grandfather was George Caie (b. 1823). His mother Jean Guyan (b. 1803 Nigg), and father Alexander Caie (b. 1799 Nigg) were married in 1822.

George Caie (b. 1823) married Margaret Philip (b. 1816) in 1840 in Nigg. Their eldest daughter, Mary Caie (b. 1841) moved to Dartmouth, Devon, sometime before 1861, where she lived with her mother's brother's family (George Philip of Philip & Son shipbuilders in Dartmouth). Mary Caie married Robert Widdicombe, shipwright in Dartmouth. They moved with their family to Brisbane, Australia in 1884.

kind regards
    Julie

Sidney Weiss

Default Caies and Philips

Hello JulieT, I'm very interested in your post about Caie and Widdicombe.

I Think we may be distantly related, Is your Mum's name Cyane? I'm Mark (or now Sidney Weiss) son of Jan Cooke your mum's cousin.

Im very interested in any further info you may have uncovered esp about Mary Caie living with the Philips in Dartmouth.

Hope to hear from you soon

Kind regards
    Sid

cjmk

Hi there, new to this particular site and came across this post.

William Guyan, born around 1800, was my 4 x Great Grandfather. He married Isabella Baxter and had two children - Ann (b.1821) and Alexander (b.1827).

William was employed as a pilot at the harbour.

If any of this is familiar, then please get in touch and see if we can share further information.

Craig

Hawk

These posts are quite old, so hope you pick this up. I discovered a possible spouse for my 2 X Great Uncle Alexander Cameron, maybe married GEMIMA GUYAN in St Nicholas, Aberdeen 27 Aug 1875. I have absolutely no proof this is my Uncle Alex, but I've listed it as a possibility. At this point its all I have!

Hawk

guyan1

Hello i am a guyan living in aberdeen we originally came from foot dee in aberdeen and were know as the piddlie guyans i believe we did originate in brittany in france and were part of the herring fleet and settled in footdee. I too am interested in finding out more on the guyans in aberdeen.

Goldilocks

Quote Originally Posted by cjmk View Post
    Hi there, new to this particular site and came across this post.

William Guyan, born around 1800, was my 4 x Great Grandfather. He married Isabella Baxter and had two children - Ann (b.1821) and Alexander (b.1827).

William was employed as a pilot at the harbour.

If any of this is familiar, then please get in touch and see if we can share further information.

Craig
    My great grandfather was an Alexander Guyan. He married Christina Mitchell in 1854 in St Nicholas, Aberdeen. He died at sea possibly in the early 1870s. I haven't managed to trace his birth or his parents, so would be interested if you think this could be the same person.

mscalex

Hi all, my first foray into genealogy and I stumbled on this thread.

I was reading some documents sent to my mother by a cousin in Aberdeen and it looks like I am also a descendant of Alexander Caie & Jane Guyan, (married Oct 26 1922).

I have the basic information only of how we get from Caie/Guyan to me (Alex Smith Born Aberdeen 1947 emigrated to Australia 1961) and will be happy to send details to those who want it.

JulieT, looks like we have something in common, with our forebears being brother and sister. How did you go with the French connection, I'd interested in learning more.

FYI My document says: Ann Caie Daughter of Alexander Caie & Jane (not Jean) Guyan, I'm assuming George was Ann's brother.

Welcome to British Genealogy

Jane and Jean (and indeed Janet) can be interchangeable in 19th century (and earlier) Scotland...

This thread seems to be made up of old and newer posts registering interests. In case anyone is interested in taking their search further, please take a look at the "sticky" threads I've left at the top of the General Scottish Family History forum. Scottish genealogy is pretty simple back to 1855 as the certificates are informative - they are at Scotlands People HERE. You do have to start an account with them and pay a small fee to download the certificates, but in return you get instant information and good service when needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast