Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Ledganteast

That is an incredible link.

"His sister Mary, "worn down to a state of extreme nervous misery by attention to needlework by day and to her mother at night", was seized with acute mania and stabbed her mother to the heart with a table knife. With the help of friends he succeeded in obtaining his sister's release from what would otherwise have been lifelong imprisonment, on the condition that he take personal responsibility for her safekeeping."
    Last edited by Ledganteast; 23-06-2006 at 4:11 AM.

shasfern

Hi Clare, this may be of interest to you on both the infamous and Shaw fronts. I was adopted - but my birth father was Frederick Charles paul Shaw born 1927 in Plumstead (believed also to have been adopted so no birth records), died 1964 in Lambeth Prison. He was tried and convicted at the Old Bailey for producing the 1st 'Ladies Directory'. Quite a conversation piece!!!
    Sharon.

Pegasus

Wink

Not 'Proven' (Yet!)

But, My Maternal Grandfather was 6 Generations removed from John & James Hardman of Allerton Hall (one of them, [I can never remember which] was married to the Daughter of a Major of Liverpool (Cockshut).

The tale of 'Great Expections' was Inspired by the Hardman/Allerton Hall Mystery!

Both John & James died within a few Years of each other, their children having died (or been Murdered) before their passing, so their Estate (which was Quite Large even by Todays Standards) was left to anyone that could Prove Descent from a Common Ancestor ( Heirs in Common or Heirs Appartant)!

My Grandfather was aproached by distant cousins (who wanted His Help to Prove Their Claim), He would'nt even let them 'Accross the Threshhold' & told them "I want Nothing to Do with 'It', There is Blood on That Money".

What He Knew (but Never told them) was that there had Already been an Act of Parliament passed (at the request of Liverpool City Council, which Held Most of the Freeholds & Leases of the Hardman Properties/Lands) to Bar ANY Further Claimants to the Hardman Estate!

P.S.

If Fate had'nt been so Cruel I might have been born in a 4-poster Bed in a Panelled Room (with a Silver Spoon in my Mouth!).

irisrose

Default Famous Macaulays/Babingtons

My list is endless here are some of the famous people in my tree.
    Lord Thomas Babington Macaulay and his Father Zachary both buried in Poets Corner Westminster Abbey.
    Sir Charles Trevelyan
    Sir Aulay Macaulay
    Sir James Parker Smith
    Head Masters of Harrow, Rugby and Repton Schools.
    Ursula Darwin Great Grandaughter of Charles Darwin married one of my distant relatives.
    Last edited by irisrose; 30-06-2006 at 3:48 PM.

RichardMarcJ

My great-grandma's sister's husband was the nephew of George Bernard Shaw.

chopendoz

Default Nothing special

In my family there are no outstanding relatives - apart from a couple of bigamists, a prostitute and an uncle who wrote a book about UFO's. Of course, Lloyd George knew my mother!

GeoffD

Quote Originally Posted by chopendoz
    In my family there are no outstanding relatives ... and an uncle who wrote a book about UFO's.
    Hmmmmm .... not Richard T*mb***g by any chance?

JeanetteH

Yes I have . . . I was surprised to discover a while back that I am a distant cousin of the Duchess of Gloucester . . . through my Danish great-grandfather. Not strictly "British genealogy" I know, but sort of in an indirect kind of way.

Searching for descendants of your ancestor's siblings can be very rewarding - you never know who you might have a connection to!

Jeanette
    Brisbane, Qld

GeoffD

I am privy to a tree (from a distant cousin many times removed) which contains some old Pommy geezer named PLANTAGENET, Henry (III) and his delightful (?) offspring, Edward I "Longshanks" and, of course, the latter's fancy Spanish in-laws.

Delving further, I also find someone called William, born October, 1024 in Normandy. He did a bit of conquering in 1066, I am told. His pa-in-law was Baudoin V, but I've got a quicker way to get to that family - my great-uncle Harry married one of 'em.

Following the lines down from these worthies is a wonderful lesson in the 'decline of the nobility', with eventual marriages into humble fisherfolk families of West Penwith. Ain't genealogy grand?
    Last edited by GeoffD; 06-10-2006 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Too early in the morning to be totally coherent

JeanetteH

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD
    I am privy to a tree (from a distant cousin many times removed) which contains some old Pommy geezer named PLANTAGENET, Henry (III) and his delightful (?) offspring, Edward I "Longshanks" and, of course, the latter's fancy Spanish in-laws.

Delving further, I also find someone called William, born October, 1024 in Normandy. He did a bit of conquering in 1066, I am told. His pa-in-law was Baudoin V, but I've got a quicker way to get to that family - my great-uncle Harry married one of 'em.

Following the lines down from these worthies is a wonderful lesson in the 'decline of the nobility', with eventual marriages into humble fisherfolk families of West Penwith. Ain't genealogy grand?
    LOL! I suppose it all depends on what one finds "exciting".

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast