Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi Clare
    A couple from your neck of the woods. Raymond Mays, the racing car driver and the man behind the ERA and the BRM was my third cousin once removed. Also for a long time I thought that through our common ancestor, William Shilcock, we were related by marriage to Matthew Flinders. In one of his letters he talks of his "Aunty Shilcock" who died from falling from her horse. There still may be a link, but if there is it goes back a few more generations.
    Peter
    Last edited by peter nicholl; 11-01-2006 at 7:56 PM. Reason: from seems better than "of"
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Burrow Digger

I have actually just discovered another one

Last week I thought I would check out a fellow named Edward Bentall Collis from Essex who married my grandmothers sister.

I found two things -
    One was a website with the entire family tree back to the 1600s

And the second was a convicted murderer!!!
    This Samuel Collis turned out to be Edward Bentall Collis's uncle.

I would like to say thank you to Ann Brock who was very generous in locating these two websites for me.

I wasnt expecting to find anything much, and I'm kind of jealous coz NOTHING like this ever happened in my tree.
    Edward Collis is not related to me (except by marriage) although his grandchildren are my second cousins.

BTW Ann, Bert turned out to be a very nice chap.

Burrow Digger
    Last edited by Burrow Digger; 22-01-2006 at 1:10 AM.

My father's cousin, Mai JONES, wrote the music for the unofficial Welsh national anthem "We'll Keep a Welcome in the Hillsides".

Now here's the thing she was called Gladys May JONES when she was born and in the 1901 census but I cannot find the correct birth certificate for her - over 30 quid spent so far - and I have this vague memory of my father saying that he had discovered that she was adopted although he never said how he knew this.

there is also the vague family story that my grandmother's family were related to someone called Anthony HOPE who apparently invented the post office or perhaps it was postage stamps or even post boxes. Hmmm there's a subject for a rainy afternoon.
    Ann
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

AnnB

Quote Originally Posted by Burrow Digger
    BTW Ann, Bert turned out to be a very nice chap.

Burrow Digger
    Glad to hear it BD, and pleased to have helped. If only our Collis's were as happy to be found - even with a murderer included

Best wishes
    Ann

ziksby

Default Robert E Lee

Sheleen mentioned Robert E Lee. I have the real one in my tree, very distantly related as follows.....
    Peter Jones (b.1819), the brother of my great great grand father converted to Mormonism and emigrated to the States in 1844. He married Mary Lee Bland in Utah. She came from Kentucky. My genealogy software says that ....
    Mary Lee Bland`s grandfather`s cousin`s grandson is Robert `E`Lee.

In addition and also on the Mormon theme, I find that my great grandfather`s cousin`s wife`s father was John Taylor - 3rd President of the Church of Latter Day Saints. The cousin was Daniel Harrington, nephew of the above Peter Jones.

joette

Keep hoping, but there may be a connection & how appropriate on his birthday a connection between Rabbie Burns & my Grandfather's Uncle James Scott.Still trying to work it out & as Rabbie was a "one" for the ladies may be a long trawl.
    Having said that I understand that he always held his hands up when paternity was questioned & admitted the possibility & provided financially where possible & needed.

norfolk white

Talking

Whilst carrying out research on my mother's line I found that her g.g.grandmother was called Mary Brownrigg born 1813 at Whitbeck, Cumberland (christened 17 May 1813 also at Whitbeck).

Then, looking up my father line I found that his great grandfather was called James Brownrigg born 1826 at Annaside near Whitbeck and was christened 5 November 1826.

Mary Brownrigg's parents were called John Brownrigg and Sarah Tyson.
    James Brownrigg's parents were called John Brownrigg and Sarah Tyson

John and Sarah had 13 children, Mary was the eldest and James was child number seven. Between Mary and the youngest child (Hannah) there was 27 years and between Mary and James there was 13 years.

So, not only are my parents husband and wife but also 3rd cousins once removed and not only am I my parents' son but also 3rd cousin twice removed to my father and 4th cousin to my mother.
    Last edited by norfolk white; 25-01-2006 at 10:38 PM.

JohnMorrisonIOM

Question Infamous Relative.

In doing my research on my Grandmother, I came acroos this one.
    It's a mouthful, My GG Aunt's Husband's Grandmother' first husband, apparently killed his first wife with a red hot poker.... AND got away with it!!
    Still trying to track down the details.
    His name was John Cowx, bn around 1780 in Cumberland but moved to Ballaugh in the Isle of Man.
    I haven't yet managed to find out the name of the wife he is supposed to have killed.
    Last edited by JohnMorrisonIOM; 24-02-2006 at 5:12 PM. Reason: Speeling mistake

GillC

My only claim to fame as far as my ancestors is - my Grandfathers great uncle is a Yorkshire Cricketer called George Ulyett. He played in the "Ashes" game, with W G Grace, that was so bad it caused the ashes to be. In fact he was the highest english run scorer on the test.
    He was also porported to be the cricketer to have created the "yorker ball" - because of his unusual bowling technique.
    So if anyone else is related to him - they may well be related to me............ cool eh

Ledganteast

I got part of my family tree written in 1904 from a maritime museum at the top it states "descendants of Gallant Hampton of historic fame" I have never found out who on earth he was or what he was famous for.Which I guess makes him not very famous at all!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast