Liza

Question Seeking Williams From Glasgow

I am trying to trace the descendants of my great grandparents Owen and Winifred Williams (originally from Anglesey in Wales) who moved north to Glasgow with the copper industry in the 1850s and went on to have ten children- John Thomas, Owen, Winifred, Thomas, Annie, Rowland, Elizabeth, Mary, William and Hugh. The family stayed initially in Garngad and later in Meadowpark Street, Dennistoun. I am Elizabeth's granddaughter and would love to trace the descendants of her brothers and sisters.
    We also know that great grandfather Owen had brothers Rowland, John and Thomas who moved north to Glasgow in the mid 1800s. John married Winifred's sister Catherine. It would be wonderful to trace the family from these lines.Please get in touch. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Wirral

Hi Liza

Welcome to the forum. We also have WILLIAMS from Anglesey in our line, also JONES from there, but they moved to Liverpool. If your WILLIAMS were copper miners then there is a good chance they were from the Amlwch area as that is where there was the big copper mine. Have you seen the excellent site for Amlwch by Neil Summers? https://www.amlwchdata.co.uk/select.htm
    There are transcriptions for many of the censuses for Amlwch 1801, 1841, 1851, 1861, 1881, 1891. And no, that is not a misprint, it does have the 1801 census for Amlwch!
    Do you already have the family in the censuses? Any birth or marriage certificates?

Liza

Default Reply to Wirral

Many thanks for your reply. Yes, I have been on Neil Summers site many times because as you rightly guess my great grandmother was from Amlych and my great grandfather from nearby Pengorffwysfa. However, I have found tracing the Williams line a bit difficult - rather like looking for a needle in a haystack. Interestingly, there are also Jones ancestors : GGrandfather Owen's parents were Thomas Williams married to Elizabeth Jones (no dates I'm afraid) and GGrandmother Winifred's parents were John Williams married to Ann Jones (born 1826). Any tie up to your Williams and Joneses? Kind regards.

Wirral

We have got really stuck with Margaret Jones, born 1863 in Amlwch, father William Jones, mariner. The names are so common that we haven't been able to pin down which one she is. The first definite sighting is at her 1st marriage in 1883 to William Ellis in Liverpool. She subsequently married twice more, to Martin Edwin Anderson in 1895 & then to John Williams in 1904. We have her 3 marriage certificates, the 1891 & 1901 censuses & a possible 1881 census entry (as a servant in Liverpool). We also have copies of the family details from the "Ellis Family Bible" that was passed down through the Ellis line. But we haven't got her birth certificate.

I'll have to go to the Anglesey Records Office & plough through all the church records. Maybe a job for better weather!

Do you have any dates for your family?