robbiep

Smile Petries from Forfar, Glamis and Forfar

Merry Christmas

I am a new member of this forum and thought I would post details I have about my family tree.

Robert Petrie: born at Glamis, Angus 11 July 1833. Married Betsy Stark in 1860 and came out to settle in Canterbury in the same year.

Father: Alexander Petrie - there were two Alexanders born in 1801 and unable to say which is Alexander's parents because they were not named on his death certificate.

Died in Dundee 28 December 1863

Mother: Barbara Gibson - born 1801 - daughter of Robert Gibson and Isabella Milne or Mill. Died 1 October in Dundee

Robert's siblings:

Elizabeth Petrie: -born Forfar- 26 October 1823 - married Samuel Mortimer

James Petrie: - born Forfar - 27 November 1825 - married Jane Joss - one of their descendants immigrated to America - have contact here

William Petrie: - born Forfar - 18 May 1828 - married Hannah Guthrie

Isobella (Isobel) Petrie: - born Forfar - 13 February 1831 - married Peter Duncan

Robert Petrie:

Alexander Petrie: - (Robert's twin) born Glamis - 11 July 1833

David Petrie: - born Glamis - 6 August 1835

John Guthrie Petrie: - born Glamis -9 May 1838 - married Jane Calder

Charles Petrie: - born Glamis - 13 November 1840 - married Isabella Banks

Thomas Petrie: - born Glamis - 25 December 1844 - married Ann McNicoll

George Guthrie Petrie: - born Glamis - 31 May 1847

Kind regards

Robert Petrie
    New Zealand

Wirral

Hi Robert

My father was from Forfar & his mother was a PETER whose family were originally from Kirriemuir. There is probably a link somewhere between the names PETRIE & PETER, lost in the distant past. I used to go to the library at Forfar which has the local records, but haven't been for a year or so. As Dad died this year, we are unlikely to go again now.
    Have you seen the Angus Folk Museum at Glamis, owned by the National Trust for Scotland? It's possible that might have info on your family.

Joe Duffy

Wow! That is a whole heap of new facts for me, thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
    Isobella (Isobel) Petrie: - born Forfar - 13 February 1831 - married Peter Duncan
    Isabella Petrie and Peter Duncan had thirteen children. One of them, the youngest, James Petrie Duncan was my great grandfather. I posted a photo of him and his wife on this here forum just last week.
    Hope you're all well in New Zealand!

Regards,
    Joe

MarkJ

The original poster has not been on the forum since the start of 2006, so your reply may not be seen.
    However, I notice that Robert does have a contact set up in his profile, so perhaps it may be worthwhile seeing if you can get in touch that way.

Mark

Annie 11

Hi Jo
    My husband great grandfather was Robert Davidson Petrie and his father was Charles Henderson Petrie who was married to Isabella Banks they are both Burried at Pahiatua New Zealand, Charles died in Auckland on September 11 1931 and Isabella died at Pahiatua 11 May 1909 they are buried with a daughter Flora Gibson Petrie. from the looks of it our family lines are the same. so any information would be greatly appreciated Annie 11

Annie 11

Hi Robert
    We are in Wellington NZ my husbands line comes from Charles Henderson Petrie are you still working on this family Annie 11

Joe Duffy

Hello Annie,
    Good to hear from you, you're only the second person that I share common ancestors with that has contacted me in the year I've been researching. All I know about the Petries is what I learned from the original post in this thread and also from a Craig Petrie's tree on that well known site that begins with an "A". If you search for Craig Petrie on that site you can view his public tree with the Petrie line. You're a closer relation to him than me so you may have better luck contacting him than I did - I didn't get a reply.

Annie 11

Thanks Jo. Have not joined that site yet did some years ago and go nowhere. I have a family tree site On Geni. Petrie tree here most are still lving down the South Island. My mother in laws mother Amy was left to bring up a large family when both her parents died. Could I have permission to use your photo on this site. Annie