swiggin74

Default John Charles Markee BS born Switzerland or Italy- Total Brick wall!!

Hello,

My GG Grandfather was John Charles Markee bn 1850 in Switzerland a British Subject (this has also been spelt Marakee on his marriage cert). He married Mary Ann Kilroy on 13/7/1874, in the Roman Catholic Chapel in Wolverhampton, Staffordshire.
    The first time that I can find him on the census is in 1891, this is where it is stated that he was bn in Switzerland a British Subject. He is living in Lawyers Fields, Wolverhampton and is a railway labourer. In 1881 his children are living with their grandparents, James and Mary Kilroy, in the same house in Lawyers Fields. However John Charles and his wife are not there. I can find no record of them elsewhere. Maybe he was working on the railways??
    On his marriage cert his father is shown as Joseph Marakee, stone mason.
    I have been on the national archives and searched for naturalisation records for John Charles, but have drawn a blank. Has anyone got any idea how I can find out where he was born, when he entered the UK and indeed just get beyond this brick wall?!
    Many Thanks
    Sam.

Geoffers

The index to Consular births are included on 1837 online.

TNA hold records for British births in Geneva 1850-1934 in FO778/13-22

Not a lot else immediately springs to mind

Geoffers
    Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2007 at 2:36 PM.

swiggin74

How do I use national archives? Do I have to search in person? When I search the online records I draw a blank for Markee.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by swiggin74
    How do I use national archives? Do I have to search in person? When I search the online records I draw a blank for Markee.
    Not all records held by TNA are indexed individually online. You will need to go there in person to search the source mentioned.

Geoffers

swiggin74

I suppose I would need to book in?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by swiggin74
    I suppose I would need to book in?
    You just turn up with sufficient ID to be issued with a reader's ticket.
    See TNA's web-site for detailed information
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm

Geoffers