fplum

Cool de Plombstede from Normandy

This message is very similar to the last. Yes I read the item about the 20 families. However here is what I have got.

"The name Plumstead is derived from Plomb, a commune in Normandy, near the ancient town of Avranches, and the Saxon word Staede, signifying house or residence, farmhouse; hence Plombstede signified a householder in the commune of Plomb. The family was of Norman origin and the name was de Plombstede and de Plumstede for many generations. The de Plumstedes came to England with William the conqueror and settled in Norfolk and Kent, where three parishes yet bear their name."

Sources: The Plumstead Chronicles by Eugene Devereux Philadelphia 1887
    Pennsylvania Founding Families 1681-1911

Does anybody have additional information on this family either in Normandy or early settlement in Kent or Norfolk?

Thanks for any help

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by fplum
    "The name Plumstead is derived from Plomb, a commune in Normandy, near the ancient town of Avranches, and the Saxon word Staede,Sources: The Plumstead Chronicles by Eugene Devereux Philadelphia 1887. Pennsylvania Founding Families 1681-1911
    I've answered a question about this some time ago - sorry I can't remember when or where. The previous query quoted the same book.

The Plumsteads in Norfolk and Kent predate the invasion by William the Bastard.

The name is pure Old English and simply means, 'The place of the Plum trees.' ( Plumestede ).

The claimed connection to France for the place name is spurious, and I suspect was included to to present a 'better' history. Failure to grasp this basic fact places suspicion on anything else written in the book.

The surname PLUMSTEAD could have originated anywhere and it would be wrong to associate it specifically with any place now called Plumstead.

Geoffers