Starting to feel at home

Default Newlyn & Box families in N.S.W

Edward NEWLYN (1857-1890), his wife Elizabeth (nee GALE) (1861-1916) and two year old daughter Annie (1881-1895) arrived in Sydney in 1893 on board Dharwar. Edward & Elizabeth were both born in Powerstock, Dorset.

Edward & Elizabeth had two more children, Mary (1885-1949) born Brisbane Water, died Rochdale, and Edward (1887-1956) born Mount Clare, Brisbane Water and died Little Bay.

Mary married Theodore BOX in 1908 and they had five children, Thelma c 1910, Edna c 1912, Edward c 1914 and Clive c 1916. The other child, a son, died before 1949 and I have no other details.

Edward junior married Gertrude May CHESTER 18th Jan 1911 and they also had five children. On Edward death cert in 1956 it give three dead sons and two living daughters. The daughter are Doris c 1913 and Marjorie c 1922. The dead sons I have found are William died 1911, James died 1923 and Edward died 1939.

Sorry to be longwinded, but I hope someone knows these names and can help. Edward senior was my great grandmother's brother and I would love to make contact with these families.

Regards

Pauline Luck

Rubygirl47

Hi Pauline,
    I know it is a long time since you put this post up but first time I have come across it.
    You may already know some of this information now.
    Mary and theo's son Malcolm was in the RAAF and he was KIA 17 April 1944.
    You can find his information on the WW2 nominal roll for Australia.
    Also google him under Malcolm Box Rockdale NSW [I think and found the a photo of the 53rd Squadron, with a piece at the bottom that mentions his name and that of another Australia who was killed on the same night as the ones in the photo]
    My great Aunt - Eliza Stanley was Theodore Boxes Mother. I don't really know the family, just finding snippets of info by googling.
    hope you receive this.
    best wishes
    Lola - Rubygirl47

Starting to feel at home

Wow...as you say, it is a long time since I posted and, as you can see, you are my first reply. Thank you very much. I have just come back from holiday so am buried by washing, ironing etc. but I will look into the info you have provided and see where it leads me. Once again, thank you very uch

Pauline

Result!

Welcome to the forum Rubygirl

This is a really good example of why you should always alert the forum to any change of e-mail address, even if you don't visit the forum regularly. Sometimes results can come years later, thanks to Google, but posters are then notified by e-mail that a response has been made.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Rubygirl47

Hi Pauline,
    I was truly amazed to get a such a quick response - and overnight my sister found the following death notice from the Sydney Morning Herald, I am sending it now, and you can look when you have time.I also have a question about Edward Seniors death - just when you get time - you have him dying in 1890 which cannot be correct- seeing as he went to Australia in 1893 - maybe a typo on your part, I only Just noticed it this morning when entering it to my family tree. I am still trying to find his death and that of little annie on the NSW BDM site, Carol found Edwards marriage, but it was incorrect on the system, which we have found before. Newlyn, Edward - June 14 1956 at Prince Henry Hospital late of 71A Auburn St Sutherland dearly loved husband of Gertrude May Newlyn, beloved father of William (deceased) Doris (Mrs Miller) Edward (deceased) James (deceased) and Marjorie (Mrs Bellis) father in law of Alf and Len, loving grandfather of Jocelyn and Terry and great grandfather of Christopher and Peter Aged 68 years. At rest. See Saturday's Herald for funeral notice.

Source: SMH June 15 1956 page 26
    no rush, you are still trying to catch up with being away, but I was so excited to get your email this morning. I was amazed that no one else has been in touch after almost 5 years of you posting the message. I don't want to put my email up on here for everyone to see, so will just have to be in touch via this site.
    thanks again
    cheers
    Lola

Starting to feel at home

Hi Lola

I have the death cert for Edward Newlyn and also his will. He died on the 20th Oct 1890 in Victoria, Australia. He and his wife, Elizabeth, and daughter, Annie, arrived in Sydney, NSW in 1883 on the 'Dharwar'. The link is as follows
    https://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1883/10/008dha.htm

Annie died in 1895 in NSW aged 14. I have her death cert and also the death cert of Edward Newlyn in June 1956. Thank you for the source of the obit notice.

Which Edward Newlyn are you trying to find the marriage for? Senior married in the UK....and I just happen to have that cert as well!

Look forward to hearing from you again.

Pauline

Rubygirl47

Hi Pauline,
    My apologies - I haven't looked at the Victorian BDM - The family must have gone there, and I didn't think of that - shows you have to "think outside the square" and thanks for clearing up the family came in 1883 NOT 1893 - that is why I was puzzled.
    [typo on your initial information].
    My apologies again I thought NSW BDM had the information wrong for Edward's marriage, but when I checked it was his death.
    and I have looked up the funeral notices which I will try and attach for you on here.
    NEWLYN Family and Friends of Mr and Mrs E NEWLYN Mr and Mrs A R MILLER Miss M NEWLYN Mrs BOX and FAMILY of Amclifle Mr and Mrs A A WOOD of Kogarah Miss A CHESTER and Miss ZOE CUTCLIFFE are kindly Invited to attend the Funeral of their beloved SON BROTHER NEPHEW and COUSIN Edward (Teddy) Newlyn, to leave his late residence The Boulevarde Sutherland THIS SATURDAY afternoon service commencing at 2pm for Church of England cemetery Woronora
    NEWLYN - The Relatives and Friends of Mr and Mrs O M CUTCLIFFE and Miss ZOE CUTCLIFTE are kindly invited to attend the Funeral of their esteemed FRIEND Edward (Teddy) NEWLYN For particulars see family notice
    WOOD COFFILL LIMITED
    Source – SMH Saturday 2 December 1939 page 15
    Did not see a death notice - in that paper. Did you know you can probably look up the Woronora Cemtery - not sure it will give you any more information but the cemetery is on line.
    Also found the funeral notice of Gertrude May CHester's mother - I wasn't looking for it, but came across it.
    CHESTER.-The Relatives and Friends of Mr. and
    CHESTER.-The Relatives and Friends of Mr. and Mrs. E. NEWLYN and FAMILY, of The Boulevarde, Sutherland, Miss A. S, CHESTER, of Stanmore, are kindly invited to attend the Funeral of their beloved MOTHER, MOTHER-IN-LAW. and GRANDMOTHER, Elizabeth Chester; to arrive for Interment In the Church of England portion of Woronora Cemetery, THIS (Monday) AFTERNOON, At 3 oclock

Source- SMH Monday 30 August 1937 page 7
    all for now. IF you live in the UK it is probably way past your bedtime. I am in New Zealand and it is 11am on Saturday 26th.
    take care
    bye for now
    Lola
    PS Thanks for the offer of the certificates, but at this stage I won't take you up on the offer. Pleased that you have Edwards death certificate and will - great you were able to find them. hope some of this helps you.

Hello
    How good that you have made contact after all this time.

If you wish to exchange records, images etc you can send a private message (pm) by clicking on the member's user name and choosing private mesage from the drop down menu. That way you can exchange email addresses which will make it easier to send copies of documents.

Good luck

Christanel
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

ennael

Default Will- NEWLYN

Hi,

Will for Edward NEWLYN 1890 digitised and available for viewing online at:

https://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=54

Leanne

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Leanne...that is useful to know. I do have a copy of Edward Newlyn's will but there might be others on the site that I am interested in.

Regards

Pauline