Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Arthur Wadsworth and his siblings

My 2X Gt.-grandfather was Apprenticed to Arthur Wadsworth in April 1846 until he reached the age of 21 which would have occurred on 9 August 1851. Arthur was a Maker of Surgical Trusses.

Arthur was born abt 1818 and had at least 3 older sisters.

In the 1841 census held 6 June 1841, the 4 were living together in St. George, Camberwell - Piece 1052, Book 4, Folio 55, Page 11. Arthur is indicated as age 24 and Occupation was an Undertaker. His 3 sisters ranging in age from 26 to 29 were all unmarried and possibly worked with Arthur. The place of residence was indicated as Cottage Green.

In the 1851 census - Piece 1530, Folio 293, Page 3 - Arthur is now the head of household and has 2 of his sisters ansd indicates all were born in Kingsland, Middlesex. This I believe is not correct as in later census records as well as being confirmed by baptism records they were all born in Shoreditch. In the residence as well was his Apprentice. The occupations of all are Surgical Instrument Makers and the residence was 8 Bell Yard.

I have the 3 sisters in future census records. I cannot find Arthur after the 1851 census, so where is he?

As a matter of interest, my 2X Gt.-grandfather doesn't appear to have followed in his masters footsteps. In the 1861 census and throughout the rest of his life, his occupation was listed as a Mesenger.

Colin

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi Colin, I've been having a browse, found baptisms if thses family are correct.:
    Arthur John son of Arthur & CharlotteFilder a cheesemaker of Kingsland Rd.b.12 Oct 1817
    Maria . 1815..Eliza. 1813 parents & addressas above.

Two trees on ancestry with sibling info as you have, also a wife & child with mention of Arthur being 'married' 1851. Haven't found marriage to Amelia Hibbert nor birth reg' of child 'ellen' in London 1846. One tree mentions probate on death of Amelia to Lawyer for Ellen now married & living in Australia- 1899.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Oct 7th.1865 Ellen Wadsworth 19,of 27 cow cross st., dtr of Arthur Wadsworth 'surgical instrument maker' married Thomas Piper26 coach wheelwright son of Thomas Piper a gardener. Wit's Shirley Hibberd & Sarah Hibberd
    Parish church of St James Clerkenwell.
    Present 1861-71 censuses.

Have you tried directories for Mr. Wadsworth?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Colin Rowledge

Looking at the death of Amelia Wadsworth 11 April 1888 of 22 Cornwall Street, Fulham is obviously the mother of Ellen who married Thomas Piper.

Looking at the only census record that seems to fit is the 1871 - RG10, Piece 487, Folio 17, Page 27 - Household schedule #189. Can someone take a look and transcribe for me the occupation of said Amelia?

Thanks
    Colin

malcolm99

Colin the correct ref is Piece 417
    Amelia’s occupation is: “Superintendent of Work Rooms in the Surgical profession”

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    In the 1851 census - Piece 1530, Folio 293, Page 3 - Arthur is now the head of household and has 2 of his sisters ansd indicates all were born in Kingsland, Middlesex. This I believe is not correct as in later census records as well as being confirmed by baptism records they were all born in Shoreditch.
    Colin
    I should think Kingsland is probably correct Colin. It's only a mile or so directly north of Shoreditch.

Colin Rowledge

In the 1851 census - Piece 1530, Folio 293, Page 3 - Arthur is now the head of household and has 2 of his sisters ansd indicates all were born in Kingsland, Middlesex. This I believe is not correct as in later census records as well as being confirmed by baptism records they were all born in Shoreditch. In the residence as well was his Apprentice. The occupations of all are Surgical Instrument Makers and the residence was 8 Bell Yard.

Colin
    Arthur John is definitely correct in 1851. His occupation matches and he has the Apprentice with him at 8 Bell Yard. He is enumerated as Married but his 'wife'? is not enumerated as a resident. Her name is Amelia - maiden surname Hibbert or Hebberd .

Others as well as I cannot locate a marriage.

A 'daughter' of this marriage was named Ellen. From her marriage certificate, Ellen Wadsworth, age 19 and a spinster marries Thomas Piper age 26 and a bachelor. The witnesses are named as Hibberd and are possibly related to Amelia her mother. The marriage was on 7 October 1856. The address at time of marriage was 27 Cow Cross Street, which between 1851 and 1861 was the home of a family by the name of Goater, who over the years prior to and after this date had numerous lodgers/boarders residing with them. In the 1871 census, Ellen, Thomas and their 4 month old son John are living Willow Cottages, St. John Hampstead.
    Then they disappear until Amelia Wadsworth dies 11 April 1888 and Probate is granted to her daughter - now a resident of Australia - on 4 February 1889.

In all the years from Amelia's birth - abt 1815 - to her death, the only piece I've found is from the the 1871 census [which is noted above in a post - that as a lodger and a widow - she was living in St.Giles without, Cripplegateand that her place of was Butley, Hampshire. Her occupation would appear to be consistent with that of her late 'husband'

There is no trace of her 'husband' after 1851.

I've searched under the furniture and behind the cushions on sofas, settees and under the beds but cannot find the missing pieces of this puzzle. I now throw on here with hope and thanks in advance.

Colin

malcolm99

Colin - for 1881 try RG11 Piece 517 fol.75 p.4. Surname Wadswith.

Census in care of TNA

Colin Rowledge

Thanks malcolm - one more piece added to Amelia so have her from 1871 until her death.

I've searched under the furniture and behind the cushions on sofas, settees and under the beds but cannot find the missing pieces of this puzzle. I now throw on here with hope and thanks in advance.

Colin
    As for what I found under cushions etc.

$1.35 in cash
    3 'dog ends'
    1 ear ring - not mine nor my wife or daughter's [guess i'd better hide that] - thank my lucky stars it was under the mattress!!

Colin

malcolm99

In all the years from Amelia's birth - abt 1815 - to her death, the only piece I've found is from the the 1871 census [which is noted above in a post - that as a lodger and a widow - she was living in St.Giles without, Cripplegateand that her place of was Butley, Hampshire.
    Colin I'm pretty sure her place of birth is actually Bentley which is on the border of Surrey and Hampshire near Farnham. Funnily enough it's only a couple of miles as the crow flies from a village called Rowledge!

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post

Funnily enough it's only a couple of miles as the crow flies from a village called Rowledge!
    As a matter of interest, I know of that village. My late dad, did ask me to see if I could find out how the village got its name but have yet to do so.

Colin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast