Default Corinna Hill = George Stone Oakley

Sadly I have another relative who I am having trouble finding, and would like your expert advice please.

I have a George Stone Oakley as marrying a Corinna Hill in 1904 in Edmonton, London, but can I find her as being
    born, NO. She appears on the 1911 census as a cook, not living with her husband George, as sadly, he is in the workhouse and died that same year.

Corinna says in the census that she was born in peartree, Derby, near Normanton, but I would be grateful for any help trying to find her parents.

The last resort would be to buy the marriage certificate and se if a Father is mentioned, and then look for him in another census?

Corinna Oakley lives until 1953 in Finsbury Park, London.

Where am I going wrong? Help required pleased.

Many thanks for any help received.

Carol

Brick wall demolition expert!

The marriage register shows the name of the woman at the time she married. So if she had been married before then the register would her married name.

If you then get a copy of her marriage certificate it would describe her as e.g. widow, or formerly the wife of xyz.

If she knew her father he would be listed.

I came across another reason why women's surnames do not match their biological father's name on the marriage certificate. One of my great aunts, born Roberts, was adopted when her biological parents died and she was a toddler. This predates official adoptions. Her adoptive mother gave her name to my great aunt. So on censuses she appears as Jones. When she married in the mid 1920s the register shows her as Jones, and she is listed as such on her marriage certificate, her "condition" is spinster, and her father is listed as Roberts (deceased).

So I think you have to purchase her marriage certificate.

The only Corinna I can find born right place and of right age is Corinna Fox.

Births Sep 1862
    FOX Corinna Derby 7b 395

I see her on the 1871 census in Litchurch, Derbyshire with her parents and siblings Piece3573 Folio71 Page number40

By 1881 the family have moved to Birmingham Piece2970 Folio129 Page number33. The 1881 gives different birth places but I'm sure it's the same family.

After that I lose her, perhaps she married a Mr Hill before George Stone Oakley. As Megan suggested you do need to buy her 1904 marriage cert
    Alma

I've just seen Corinna's probate, widow died 7th Jan 1953 in Finsbury Park London.

Now, here's the interesting bit. Probate Birmingham to William FOX retired railwayman.
    Alma

There is a Corrina Stone Oakley on the 1921 census birth year 1863 in Derbyshire, Living in Islington. This sounds like her but I can only see the transcript not the original image. No others are listed as with her.

Corrina was also admitted to the London workhouse on the 30 September 1911 birth year 1863. Occupation - cook
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

What a sad tale.

18 June 1894 - Lincolnshire Echo

At the London South Western Police Court on Saturday Corinna Fox, 30, charged with having attempted to commit suicide in the long pond at Clapham Common, rescued by a gentleman. She told the Constable she wished she'd been left alone, she would have been dead by then. she was sick of her life as was unable to get a living on account of a facial deformity. Discharged and given directions to be taken to the workhouse
    Alma

Question

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    What a sad tale.

18 June 1894 - Lincolnshire Echo

At the London South Western Police Court on Saturday Corinna Fox, 30, charged with having attempted to commit suicide in the long pond at Clapham Common, rescued by a gentleman. She told the Constable she wished she'd been left alone, she would have been dead by then. she was sick of her life as was unable to get a living on account of a facial deformity. Discharged and given directions to be taken to the workhouse
    Hi Alma,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and the research you have done. If I had been looking, where and how would I have known to look for the sad tale you found on Corinna?
    Carol

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    There is a Corrina Stone Oakley on the 1921 census birth year 1863 in Derbyshire, Living in Islington. This sounds like her but I can only see the transcript not the original image. No others are listed as with her.

Corrina was also admitted to the London workhouse on the 30 September 1911 birth year 1863. Occupation - cook
    Christina
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carolp View Post
    Hi Alma,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and the research you have done. If I had been looking, where and how would I have known to look for the sad tale you found on Corinna?
    Carol
    Hi Carol, I have access to British Newspapers online, both via FMP and my local library. Many local libraries offer access to those with a library card, check yours to see if they do, it's a very useful resource.
    Alma