Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

thank you Alma, I had seen this line somewhere along the way but I wasn't sure it was the right family either, my brother remembers visiting a siste of my grandad Daisy back in the 80's or 90's and we believe she was born in 1913, the daisy on this list would have been born in 1891, thank you for looking :-)

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB@1964 View Post
    thank you Alma, I had seen this line somewhere along the way but I wasn't sure it was the right family either, my brother remembers visiting a siste of my grandad Daisy back in the 80's or 90's and we believe she was born in 1913, the daisy on this list would have been born in 1891, thank you for looking :-)
    I wonder if your grandad's sister was named after her father's sister? However, that wouldn't explain why your g.grandfather would be named Albert John on Ernest's marriage certificate and John James on his own marriage certificate, and census returns, unless a mistake was made on Ernest's marriage certificate, it does happen.
    Alma

I'm back on the case. Working on another possibility and if it seems feasible I'll post the findings. Fingers crossed, Donna.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I'm back on the case. Working on another possibility and if it seems feasible I'll post the findings. Fingers crossed, Donna.
    Well, that came to nothing, sorry. I'll keep trying.
    Alma

evening, just a quick question, how would I find out what regimentof the Army Ernest was in, all the sites I loon on want a regiment at least, not sure where to look, appreciate if able to give me a pointer :-)

Hi Donna,

If you subscribe to Ancestry you'll find Ernest's service records there. Just enter Ernest Mitchell (no middle name) and for place of birth enter Faversham.

His Regiment: Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex) Regiment
    Regimental Number 962
    Alma

you are amazing Alma, thank u so much :-)

Surely this HAS to be Ernest in 1891. His name is misspelled and his age indexed as 5 but there's a black line through age masking it and it could easily be an 8. Father's name and Ernest's place of birth tally with other records found and mentioned on the thread.

Keppington Hill, Lower Hadres RG12; Piece: 704; Folio: 95; Page: 6;
    Albert J Mitchell 26, farm servant, ag. lab, Rye
    Edith E Mitchell 25, (I can't decipher her POB but it's in Kent)
    Earnest W J Mitchell 5, Stelling Minnis
    Arthur W Mitchell 4, Upper Hadres
    Edith J Mitchell 6/12, Lower Hadres
    Alfred R Clayson 20
    William J Devers 21, boarder
    William Hayslep 18, boarder
    Alma

What do you think of this, Donna, for Ernests birth? Hadres is where the above family were living in 1891 and Hadres was in the Bridge registration district. It is a couple of years out though, but it's not at all unusual for folks back then to not remember their birth year, people didn't focus on birthdays. Note the surname spelling.

MITCHEL, ERNEST WALTER JOHN, Mother's Maiden Name WATERS
    GRO Reference: 1884 D Quarter in BRIDGE Volume 02A Page 815
    Alma

I think we're getting somewhere now.

1901, East Peckham, RG13; Piece: 744; Folio: 138; Page: 11
    Albert Mitchel 38, carter on farm, Rye
    Edith Mitchel 37, Stilling
    Earnest Mitchel 19, ag. horse? Canterbury??
    Albert Mitchel 15, Hadres
    George Mitchel 13, Hadres
    Thomas Mitchel 9, Hadres
    Bertie Mitchel 7, Rye
    Cissie Mitchel 6, Rye
    Charles Mitchel 4, ?????
    Edith Mitchel 2, ????
    Joseph Waters 71, boarder, widower (Edith's father?) Peckham or Petham

Edith aged 6 months in 1891 died in 1892.
    Deaths Dec 1892, E. Ashford 2a 456
    Mitchell Edith Elizabeth J, age 2

Name: Edith Elizabeth Jane Mitchell
    Burial Date: 26 Dec 1892
    Burial Place: Broughton-Aluph, Kent, England
    Alma

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast