Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    There are these PERRING entries on the New Zealand BDM.

Death
    1907/9823 Perring Charlotte 60Y

Marriage
    1914/1544 Eliza Mary Perring to Henry Harley
    Looking for a burial for Charlotte PERRING, there is a record at the Waihi Public Cemetery. Go to this search page here.

Surname: PERRING
    Forenames: CHARLOTTE
    Marital Status: M
    Date of Death: 18/08/1907
    Cemetery: Waihi Public Cemetery
    Section:
    Block: B
    Lot: 274
    Denomination: Anglican Church

There is also a burial for an Elizabeth Mary Perring who was born in England, abt 1882. It is not the same Lot number but I do wonder if this is the daughter; but I would have though she would have been buried under the name HARLEY if she was the one who married Henry HARLEY in 1914.

Since I have no idea of where these places and cemeteries are in New Zealand I looked on Google maps.
    • Bay of Plenty (the port at which Charlotte PERRING and children arrived in 1894)
    • Waihi, where Charlotte PERRING was buried in 1907.
    • Archer Street, Masterton where William PERRING was buried in 1923.

The distance between Waihi and Masterton is considerable. Here is the map/distances in case you find it useful.

The census data for you.

1871: RG10; Piece: 1127; Folio: 52; Page: 18
    Chancey Court, Portsea, Portsmouth
    PERRING, William, head, 26, labourer, Castle Cary
    PERRING, Charlotte, wife, 26, Castle Cary
    PERRING, Eli, son, 7, ?
    PERRING, Ellen, dau, 3, Aldershot
    PERRING, Emily, dau, 1, Landford, Hampshire
    I wondered what happed to Eli PERRING. Since he was born before Charlotte LINTERN married William PERRING, he could be a child they had before marriage or possibly an illegitimate child of Charlotte (unless she was married previously.)

There are these census entries...

1891: RG12; Piece: 883; Folio 103; Page 14
    Hilsea Barracks, Hilsea Cosham Hants
    Wymering, Boarhunt, Hampshire
    PERRING, Eli, soldier, single, 26, gunner Royal Artillery, Ashford Kent

The census above says he's single but we can come back to that point later. Also listed in 1891 (unless we have two Eli PERRING's) ...

1891: RG12; Piece: 854; Folio 64; Page 30
    3 Walden Road, Portsea, Portsmouth
    PERRING, Eli, head, 26, soldier, Castle Bray Somersetshire
    PERRING, Edith, wife, 25, laundress, Castle Bray Somersetshire
    PERRING, Harriet R, dau, 2, Castle Bray Somersetshire
    PERRING, John H A, son, 1, Castle Bray Somersetshire

USING the LINTERN surname....

1901: RG13; Piece: 569; Folio: 61; Page: 17
    Brookhill Married Quarters, Brookhill Road Woolwich
    LINTEN, Eli, head, 38, Gunner Rl Garrn Arty, Ashford Kent
    LINTEN, Edith, wife, 36 Castle Carey Hanford Somersetshire
    LINTEN, Harriett Rose, dau, 12 Castle Carey Hanford Somersetshire
    LINTEN, John Henry Arthur, son, 11 Castle Carey Hanford Somersetshire
    LINTEN, Nora Eileen, dau, 4, Chatham Kent
    LINTEN, Kathleen Jane, dau, 3, Chatham Kent

(Census crown copyright, care of the TNA)

This could be his marriage...

Marriages Mar 1887 Wincanton 5C 653
    PORTER, Edith
    WEEKS, William
    LINTERN, Eli
    NASH, Emma

Further to the above, there is a military record for Eli PERRING born abt 1864 in Ashford, Kent. He attested to the Royal Artillery on 20 July 1883. He was discharged in 1904.

On image #5 he states he married Edith PORTER in 1887 at Castle Cary in Wincanton. On the same page, Edith is recorded as next of kin but crossed out below are the words father William, Smeaton nr Pontefract, labourer. Below this there is also an address in Preston, Lancashire.

So it would seem he used the surname PERRING when signing up to the RA, but used the surname LINTERN on his marriage to Edith.

You can view these records on the pay site findmypast but you would need to purchase some credits.

Eli and his family are being rather elusive in 1911. On his discharge he stated his intended residence was the 'Married Qtrs, The Camp, Woolwich', so I would have thought he would be in Greenwich/Woolwich in 1911, paricularly as it has this on his daughter's marriage...

Marriage at Plumstead Christ Church on 24 May 1913

Daniel Swanson, 28, bachelor, Sergt. A. V. Corps, 7. Married Quarters the Camps Woolwich, George Swanson, deceased
    Harriet Rosina Lintern, 26 (5?), spinster, 7Married Quarters the Camps Woolwich, Eli Lintern, Barrack Labourer.
    One of the witnesses was Nora Lintern

This could be his death record ...

Deaths Sep 1919 Woolwich 1d 908
    Lintern Eli
    Age 56

Marriage
    1908/4449 Louisa Perring to Charles Bertie Fittes
    Flitting back to the PERRINGs in New Zealand, I just noticed this birth record for a child of Louisa and Charles FITTES in the BDM index.

1910/16710 Fittes Charles William Lintern Louisa Charles Berhe

The middle name of LINTERN is interesting.

He died in 1993. See this burial record.

Shrigley

Hi Hank - 1891 Census, Rose Perring born 1872. Abode WoodHut, Diggle, Saddleworth, age 19.
    Born Portsmouth [as far as I can decipher].
    Parents William Perring and Charlotte.

I can't find them on any other Census.

Albert Lawton - what was his occupation ?
    What is his father's name on Alberts marriage certificate to Rose?
    All important clues when finding ancestors.
    Good Luck, Shrigley

hank

Hi shrigley,
    as you can tell i am a clomplete novice,i was barking up the wrong tree i found rose's marriage in saddleworth 9a 380,
    i automaticly thought they were in pairs in fact she had married a samuel checkley.
    thank you for your help hank.

lynzinoz

Hi Hank

I too am descended from William Thomas Perring & Charlotte Lintern. Just had a wonderful trawl through your thread and while I have most of the family mentioned there is some info I am glad to be able to add to my tree. Very sad to read the story of Sarah. My gt-gm Mary (aka Polly) was her younger sister, one of the ones who went to NZ. I have photos of Charlotte and of William, Charlotte, Mary & Louisa I would be happy to share and a letter from John to his grand-daughter in the 1950's. He went from NZ to Australia before returning to live in NZ until he died. It took me a while to find that Charles had gone to Canada until I found Emmily's birth record in Algoma. Some of the census info was hard to find because at some point the family changed their surname to Thomas. There is rumour in the family of some nefarious deed (perhaps murder) prompting the change. I have been told that Levi is the son of Charlotte prior to her marriage to William. When I have had a chance to digest the info I will post anything I have to add. ps Rose married Samuel Checkley in 1891 - 3 years after Sarah died in the train crash.
    Last edited by lynzinoz; 02-01-2012 at 2:02 AM. Reason: adding info

Paloma

Hi Hank

I'm working on NZ Perring, Harley, Fittes section at present. No relation, doing it for a friend in UK.

The Waihi Cemetery has a gravestone for Charlotte Perring and her daughters Elizabeth Mary Harley and Louise Markham Fittes. Also Charles William Lintren Fittes son of Louise. (Gravestone sighted)

Elizabeth Mary was married firstly to Urban Booth (as Mary Perring) in Auckland, NZ, 1902 and divorced 1911, married secondly Henry Hilton Booth (as Eliza Mary Perring) in 1914 in Waihi. I have only found one son, Henry Hilton Booth, born 1909 and two still births from the second marriage.

Information above from Archives NZ and BDM Gov NZ.

Will be in Waihi this weekend and will check out local library for availability of records.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast