Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default SARA DAWSON - VICTORIA BARRACKS

Hi,

I am trying to fully identify a Sara Dawson who married a Frederick James Dougan at St Malachy's Church, Belfast, on 24 November 1917.

Her marriage record lists her address as 'Victorias Barracks'.

Can anybody provide me with any background as to why a presumably young girl (age not yet determined) would be living at Victoria Barracks? Would this suggest she came from a military family who were living at the barracks? Do you know if families were able to live at the barracks?

Also, does anybody know of any resource giving access to records of the Victoria Barracks? Is it possible to search for a Dawson family residing there around 1917?

So many questions!

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,

David

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by David Hutch View Post
    Hi,

I am trying to fully identify a Sara Dawson who married a Frederick James Dougan at St Malachy's Church, Belfast, on 24 November 1917.

Her marriage record lists her address as 'Victorias Barracks'.

Can anybody provide me with any background as to why a presumably young girl (age not yet determined) would be living at Victoria Barracks? Would this suggest she came from a military family who were living at the barracks? Do you know if families were able to live at the barracks?

Also, does anybody know of any resource giving access to records of the Victoria Barracks? Is it possible to search for a Dawson family residing there around 1917?

So many questions!

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,

David
    There is a lot on the internet about Victoria Barracks, Belfast. Also there is another thread on this forum. Search for Vic. Barracks and hopefully, you will find it.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    There is a lot on the internet about Victoria Barracks, Belfast. Also there is another thread on this forum. Search for Vic. Barracks and hopefully, you will find it.
    There's at least two threads, though this first one says nothing helpful.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...t=Vic+Barracks

A couple of posts in this thread, posts #15 onwards in this thread are a little more helpful.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...rracks-Belfast

Were either of those the one you found, Sue?

Coincidentally, I was going to ask about the 'marriage record' for Sara and Frederick.

David - do you mean you have a copy of the marriage certificate - either from the Civil Registrar or from the church, or is it just a transcription of the main details?
    The actual certificate should tell you Sara's father's name and occupation, as well as her occupation if she had one. Those details could why her address was the barracks, so if you haven't got a copy of the certificate I would suggest getting one is top priority. I can't see that a copy is available online, so I have everything crossed that Elwyn (our Irish expert) sees this and can advise on how to get a copy from the civil authorities, because I allegedly looked but without success. (Irish genealogy is not my strong point. )

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Brick wall demolition expert!

This might help for record searching
    https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles...nd-its-records

The absence of Sara's occupation from the initial post made me suspect it was not present on the cert - it would be very useful if present. The Barracks included the Victoria Barracks Hospital which included both army and civilian patients. Hence the nursing profession in the frame. Also the VAD Corps associated with the hospital but I'm not clear how this workedie. local volunteers living at home or housed in the barracks.
    Checked Irishgenealogy but could not find the marriage. Also, the parish registers for St Malachy's do not extend to 1917.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post

A couple of posts in this thread, posts #15 onwards in this thread are a little more helpful.

I found the 80688 thread.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post

Coincidentally, I was going to ask about the 'marriage record' for Sara and Frederick.

David - do you mean you have a copy of the marriage certificate - either from the Civil Registrar or from the church, or is it just a transcription of the main details?
    The actual certificate should tell you Sara's father's name and occupation, as well as her occupation if she had one. Those details could why her address was the barracks, so if you haven't got a copy of the certificate I would suggest getting one is top priority. I can't see that a copy is available online, so I have everything crossed that Elwyn (our Irish expert) sees this and can advise on how to get a copy from the civil authorities, because I allegedly looked but without success. (Irish genealogy is not my strong point. )

Pam
    Thanks Pam.

I have been unable to locate any marriage record for Frederick Dougan and Sara Dawson on GRONI or Irish Genealogy. I had to contact St Malachy's Church personally and they have sent me a form containing the information. Her parents are listed as Michael and Elizabeth (nee Monaghan), witnesses were Thomas Dougan (Fred's brother) and Teresa Dawson (presumably related to Sara). Unfortunately, no ages are listed, nor is her father's occupation, although it states both her mother and father were deceased at that time (1917). The only other information provided is that the bride resided at Victoria Barracks.

At this stage, I have been unable to identify a Sara Dawson who had parents Michael and Elizabeth (nee Monaghan). I did find a Sarah from County Sligo who had a Michael and Bridget (nee Monaghan)as her parents but, without her age being listed, and with the mother called Elizabeth, I cannot be sure I am onto the right girl.

Hence my queries re Victoria Barracks. I was hoping that may provide another avenue of enquiry.

I have written back to St Malachy's to see if they will send me a photo of the original record, and to confirm the mother's name, but have not yet heard back.

David

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    This might help for record searching
    https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles...nd-its-records
    Thanks Megan. I have already tried GRONI but, for some reason, the marriage record is not there. See my reply to Pam.

RTegards,

David

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    The absence of Sara's occupation from the initial post made me suspect it was not present on the cert - it would be very useful if present. The Barracks included the Victoria Barracks Hospital which included both army and civilian patients. Hence the nursing profession in the frame. Also the VAD Corps associated with the hospital but I'm not clear how this workedie. local volunteers living at home or housed in the barracks.
    Checked Irishgenealogy but could not find the marriage. Also, the parish registers for St Malachy's do not extend to 1917.
    Thanks for that helachau. Unfortunately, the occupation of Frederick and Sara are not listed. See my reply to Pam for a bit more info.

Thanks for the info re Victoria Barracks. That is interesting.

Famous for offering help & advice

Possibly a coincidence!

78 Eliza Street (Cromac, Antrim)

Dougan Thomas 30 Male Head of Family
    Dougan Bridget 32 Female Wife
    Dawson Mary 40 Female Sister in Law - single
    Dawson Sarah A 30 Female Sister in Law - single
    Dawson Teresa Agnes 11 Female Niece

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast