Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Is this the baptism of a foundling?

This is taken from a parish register from Pembrokeshire dated 1799. Do people think that this was a foundling / abandoned child and was "Poll" the name she was given?

pennydog

That is how I would read it - sad. You think they could have called her Polly, which is a far more feminine name.

RobinC

In what respect would they class a child as "unknown"?

Famous for offering help & advice

It is sad.....
    Must have been a workhouse? I see the one above was illegitimate . By abandoned my guess the mother couldn't care for her so left her somewhere. I have seen several when trolling through the CityArk registers and often they indicate where the child was found as well. I wonder whose ancestors they became?

Sue.

pennydog

Quote Originally Posted by susan-y View Post
    I wonder whose ancestors they became? Sue.

When trawling through the census a while ago I did see an entry for the 'place of birth' as.... found under a bush, glad he was not mine!

Quote Originally Posted by pennydog View Post
    When trawling through the census a while ago I did see an entry for the 'place of birth' as.... found under a bush, glad he was not mine!
    Isn't that often how most trees start? Its the next generation back that would be a problem

Sue

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by susan-y View Post
    Isn't that often how most trees start? Its the next generation back that would be a problem

Sue
    And Sue....you and I both know it happens too often here in Toronto. Remember the baby abandoned in a stairwell and it was one of the coldest nights of the year (minus 20C or worse). If you didn't see the follow-up, the worthless parents moved back to Jamaica with yet another child and the neighbours knew what happened up here and totally shunned them. I believe someone came in and removed the remaining child. Justice is a lot swifter and harsher in Jamaica than it is up here.

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    In what respect would they class a child as "unknown"?
    Probably because they didn't know whether it was abandoned by someone who was married or whether it was illegitimate.

You may find this news article from today interesting. I wonder if they had "baby boxes" in England?
    https://www.
    cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/05/06/f-angel-cradle-baby-box-faq.html

Sue