Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    strawberrymivvy

I have several Kezia(h)s in my tree, all from the North East of England, and pronounced as Peter said with the stress on the 2nd syllable.

One had a brother called "Jabez", another biblical name I believe, and I've always wondered how that was pronounced. I would be tempted to pronounce it with a "Spanish" J, but not sure that's correct.

It's funny how names come and go, but Keziah isn't a name you come across in living people - OK, someone will contradict me now! I love that Martha, Violet and so on are all coming back into fashion, but why don't we see names like Elsie or Edith or Joyce...

Our daughter (3) is called Molly, and we chose it as a family name, it's very unusual here in Canada but pretty popular in the UK I believe. And the number 1 name for girls over here is Emma, but I haven't met an Emma under 40 in the UK (I went to school with several).

mfwebb

I have a Kezia in my family tree -- a great aunt born 1872 died 1955 in Rotherham South Yorkshire. I never knew of her existence whilst she was alive but I have 2 second cousins who remember her vaguely. One says she was always referred to as "Cassie" the other says "Carrie". Both were surprised when I told them her proper name.

I have never known the proper pronunciation. I have adopted KEYS-ia but am equally at home with Kez-EYE-a.

All the best,

Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

I have a male HEZIKIAH born Newport Isle of Wight 1803

Loves to help with queries

Hi there,
    funny you should mention the name Joyce not being very populay now-a-days. My name is actually Joyce Anne, but it's only my old aunts that call me Joyce now. Jeddah.

Loves to help with queries

Hi Rove,
    see you live near Tulla airport. I used to live at Sunbury for over 20 years, but am now in Lakes Entrance. Shame you can't barrack for a decent team though!!! Go Melbourne Storm. All the best. Jeddah.

Elgrace

Hello All!
    I know this post is old yet I figured that someone might find this useful.
    Funny enough my name is Kezia. (Kes-eee-yah with more emphasis on the 1st syllable)
    From what I've studied is that my name is in The latter chapters of the book of Job in the bible.
    It's a pretty lengthy story but to sum it up, Job was a wealthy man, then lost everything he had, then was given back everything he had except everything was better. His new daughters were the most beautiful of the land, and one of those daughter's happened to be named Kezia.
    Since it occurs in the old testament I think it's safe to say that it has strong Hebrew origins.
    That's interesting that where you guys are from, it's a very uncommon name.
    Here in New York, I've come across people who are in their early 30's who as well as people in their 20's that are also Kezia's.
    Just thought I should share

sheenahamblett

I do not think the name Kezia is just from Dorset. I have a couple of Kezias from the East End of London. Cannot help with the meaning though.
    Regards, Sheena

Allan F Sparrow

It certainly was used in other counties than Dorset: I have seen it used in Suffolk, for example, in the 19th century: sometimes Kezia, sometimes Keziah. As it is biblical, it could have been used anywhere, but it was not as common as Mary or Elizabeth, which can also be found in the Bible!

The least common name that I have seen is Hazzelelponi Sparrow, so baptised in 1892 in Chesterfield, Derbyshire. If anybody can trace the origin of that one... well, good luck!

mfwebb

See my post #12 -- My great aunt Kezia was born in the Rotherham area of West (now South) Yorkshire in 1855. She was apparently known by the nickname "Cassie" or "Carrie".

Sandra Parker

[QUOTE=Peter Goodey;485753]I gather the usual pronunciation in England is/was to rhyme with Isiah (stress on the second syllable ie Kez-EYE-ah).

I know a current Kezia, she is a local MP. Pronounced Keez ee ah
    Sandra

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast