Colin Rowledge

Default Tracing a family that originated in Finland

Between 1848 and 1857, 5 children were born and baptised in Finland. The parents were Alexander Auguste Ahlstedt and Johanna Vilhelmina Lothman [evidence from LDS files for children's baptisms]

2 children came to England and have been documented and researched.

I am interested in the 3 children that remained in Finland along with their parents. The 3 children are:
    Alexandra Adolfina Alexandersson - bapt. January 27, 1850, Rauma, Turku-Pori, Finland
    Sofia Frederica Alexandersson - bapt. December 20, 1853, Uusikaupunki, Turku-Pori, Finland
    Beda Lovisa Alexandersson - bapt. September 15, 1857, Uusikaupunki, Turku-Pori, Finland

Any help at all is appreciated.

Colin

Jan1954

Crumbs, Colin!

The only thing that I can suggest is this CD to get you started.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Crumbs, Colin!

The only thing that I can suggest is this CD to get you started.
    The C.D. might prove helpful if Bo can respond and tell me a bit more.

Yes Jan, I do ask 'em, don't I?

Colin

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

cyndislist.com then click on F for Finland has lots of links to Finnish sites.
    Pam

Fiona67

Hi Colin
    Familysearch has some records......don't know if you have seen this one.....it is an extracted record
    Alexander Ahlstedt Birth 12 June 1821
    Christening: 19 June 1821 Suomalainen Seurakunta, Turku, Turku Pori, Finland
    Parents: Anders Ahlstedt & Anna Christina Mattsdr

Regards
    Fiona

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona67 View Post
    Hi Colin
    Familysearch has some records......don't know if you have seen this one.....it is an extracted record
    Alexander Ahlstedt Birth 12 June 1821
    Christening: 19 June 1821 Suomalainen Seurakunta, Turku, Turku Pori, Finland
    Parents: Anders Ahlstedt & Anna Christina Mattsdr

Regards
    Fiona
    This may well be the right one as the brth in 1821 would makr him aged 26 in 1847 when the 1st child born to Aleander and Johannah was baptised. The problem I am having with the site you and Pam have alluded to is that I cannot find a marriage in the coumtries listed.

Maybe I am just half-asleep .

Colin

Richard1955

Where on earth do you find these Colin ?

Have you tried googling the names Colin? There's plenty !

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1955 View Post
    Where on earth do you find these Colin ?

Have you tried googling the names Colin? There's plenty !
    Hi Richard
    Don't blame me -- it's not my fault -- if there is any fault, it lies with my granduncle. He married an Ahlstedt girl - the 1st daughter of a man who was later convicted of bigamy

Colin

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    This may well be the right one as the brth in 1821 would makr him aged 26 in 1847 when the 1st child born to Aleander and Johannah was baptised. The problem I am having with the site you and Pam have alluded to is that I cannot find a marriage in the countries listed.

Maybe I am just half-asleep . Colin
    I presume that you mean country as in Finland?
    As far I can using find out using google 'Suomalainen Seurakunta' means Finnish parish.
    Turku is the parish/town, and Turku Pori is the county.
    Reading further, there is a link which says it was part of Sweden from 1634-1809, though as that's before the dates you're currently looking at, I wouldn't worry too much about that at the moment. Though, it might just be worth entering Sweden as the country, instead of Finland, when searching for the marriage.

What does concern me is that you seem to think that you should automatically be able to find details of the marriage on the internet. (That's the impression I get anyway.) Frankly, I work on the basis that if I find details of any event on the internet it's (almost) a miracle, as I'm sure that for every transcription there must be literally thousands (tens? hundreds of thousands?) of entries which have not been transcribed.

In your position, I would scour cyndislist to find a Finnish Genealogical Society or a similar body, and ask them for some pointers in how to begin research for Finland.
    Pam

kaysii

Hi Colin, I think I gave you information on locating online a family history society in Finland that is digitising parish records online before https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...l=1#post414626

Was it of any use? Even if the records you may be after are not digitised, but there is also a forum you can use there and a lot more experts on Finland there. Kaysii