Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default WW1 WO Casualty Lists & Publications Help!

My great uncle George Johnson was 'killed in action' on 10th May 1915, in France.

He was a Private in the 4th battalion King's Liverpool Regiment and his service number was 8103 (sometimes shown as 3/8103).

I am looking to find out the published record of his death, which I believe was via War Office Casualty Lists and also newspapers?

I have looked on Find my Past, but unfortunately their records only seem to start in 1917.

I would be grateful if anyone could advise me where and how to find these records and also the best way to 'search' in order to achieve best results. For example George died on 10th May 1915 - does anyone know how long it would take before his death would be shown in publication/s?

Thank you

Lin

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Are you hoping/expecting to see in the report anything other than his name, number and regiment, because if so you will be disappointed. That's usually all the detail there is.

If you put 'casualty lists WW1' into a search engine you get lots of results, one of which is https://www.
    longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/casualty-lists/

The index in The Genealogist says G Johnson, number, 1st Battalion Liverpool Regiment, and adds that the daily list date is 14 June 1915 and report received date is 28 May 1915.

The Times Digital Archive may be available for free, online, at your local library (you'll need a library card to access it). I have allegedly tried publication dates of 14 and 15 June 1915, without success.
    You could also try the 'big' local papers, copies of which should be available at either Merseyside libraries or archives. It looks as if you need to search between about 27 May to 16 June.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

By the way, I didn't mean to imply that you are wrong to want to find a record, however small it is. (I'm the sad person who is going through the local newspapers, recording all the angling results that name my grandfather. From the biggest catch to the smallest, to just taking part in a match. )

Just wanted to warn you that there might not be much detail in that record.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I could not find him on the CWGC until I stopped trying George and limited the search to G. (thanks Pam).
    It then says Private G Johnson 8103, 4 Btn The King's (Liverpool Regt), died 10 May 1915, buried Lacouture.
    For full cemetery details see HERE. There is more data at the bottom of that page.
    Especially in WW1, they switched battalions as the need arose. He was one of many soldiers exhumed from a temporary wartime grave and reburied in an organised cemetery after the war. Info about that is on one of the cards at the bottom of the page referenced above. There is no mention of family or a special message.

I am going to move this thread to the WW1 section where it may attract more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Are you hoping/expecting to see in the report anything other than his name, number and regiment, because if so you will be disappointed. That's usually all the detail there is.

The index in The Genealogist says G Johnson, number, 1st Battalion Liverpool Regiment, and adds that the daily list date is 14 June 1815 and report received date is 28 May 1915.
    Suspecting possible OCR misread I began checking the Times from 10 May but fortunately re-checked thread and saw your note about the Genealogist. So, able to home in on specific edition! Diolch.

Pam, spot on on both accounts re. paucity of info in these lists and where to be found. As it turned out the entry could not be found under name or number ie. OCR misread. So I "read" the 14 May edition of The Times and found -

LANCASHIRE AND YORKSHIRE LOSSES
    UNDER DATE May 28
    Killed
    Liverpool Regt. 1st Bn - ...:Johnson 10465 A;: Johnson 8103 G: Kennedy..."

Couple of items on FMP including CWG.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Knowledgeable and helpful

This is the same person as in this thread, isn't it?https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...W1-France-Help

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post

If you put 'casualty lists WW1' into a search engine you get lots of results, one of which is https://www.
    longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/casualty-lists/

The index in The Genealogist says G Johnson, number, 1st Battalion Liverpool Regiment, and adds that the daily list date is 14 June 1815 and report received date is 28 May 1915.

The Times Digital Archive may be available for free, online, at your local library (you'll need a library card to access it). I have allegedly tried publication dates of 14 and 15 June 1915, without success.
    You could also try the 'big' local papers, copies of which should be available at either Merseyside libraries or archives. It looks as if you need to search between about 27 May to 16 June.
    Re#2 and #3. I am just expecting to see his name, number and regiment - I am trying to tie up loose ends, so that I have George's full records from Attestation up to and including the publications recording his death.

I will look into the longtrail address that you have given me.

I am not subscribed to The Genealogist, George was definitely in the 4th Battalion and is shown in war diaries (4th Battalion) as having died on May 10th 1915. I wonder if this is a different G Johnson shown as 1st Battalion.
    I am subscribed to Find my Past and Ancestry - can I search those sites to find a daily list date? If so, please let me know how.

Would you please also let me know what I should search for when looking at The Times Digital Archive.
    Thank you for your help Pam.

Starting to feel at home

Re #4 Thank you Lesley for information and also moving thread to a better place.

Starting to feel at home

Re #6 Yes, it is the same person. I thought I was doing the right thing starting a new thread as my question was about newspaper publications (I am still new to all of this!)

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Suspecting possible OCR misread I began checking the Times from 10 May but fortunately re-checked thread and saw your note about the Genealogist. So, able to home in on specific edition! Diolch.

Pam, spot on on both accounts re. paucity of info in these lists and where to be found. As it turned out the entry could not be found under name or number ie. OCR misread. So I "read" the 14 May edition of The Times and found -

LANCASHIRE AND YORKSHIRE LOSSES
    UNDER DATE May 28
    Killed
    Liverpool Regt. 1st Bn - ...:Johnson 10465 A;: Johnson 8103 G: Kennedy..."

Couple of items on FMP including CWG.
    Re #5 Thank you Pam and helachau.
    I have read the CWG reference, thank you. What are the other couple of items you refer to on FMP please.

When you say you "read" the 14th May edition of The Times (did you mean 14th June, as you say losses shown under date May 28th?)... are you able to read the whole newspaper to find details or do I need to state specific criteria? I am sorry if I sound naive, but I am. It is just that I have tried search criteria without any results for George, I can't even seem to find The Times newspaper - any further help is much appreciated.
    I am encouraged with all of the information provided tonight, I just need to find out how to get to The Times for the 14th May or 14th June 1915!
    Thanks again to all forum members for your help.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast