PDA

View Full Version : William Thomas Reid/Read c 1860 Madley

KatieB
26-11-2005, 9:56 PM
Im looking for Re*d's in Madley my husbands great grandfather was born in Herefordshire 1860-1863 (he only aged 7 yrs between 1890-1901), and specified Madley on the 1901 census, acording to his marriage certificate his father was William Reid a farmer decesed (1890).
I have hit a brick wall as I can't find a birth record in the indexs or a likley match in any census before 1891 when he was living in Brynmawr in Breconshire Wales and 1901 in Aston Warwickshire.
He was an engine driver in coal mines in Brynmawr and for Warwickshire Counicle in the public baths.
Anyone with any ideas on where I could look next?

janbooth
27-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Hello Katie,

Don't know how much help this will be, or whether it will turn out to be a red herring. I looked through the 1851/61/71 census records of Madley for any READ/REIDs. There were none in 1851 and none in 1871, but in 1861 there was this:

PRO Ref: RG9/1822, folio 37, p7
Schedule 30, Bullstall

William READ Head Mar 25 ? Maker Herefordshire Woolhope
Ann do Wife Mar 17 do Madley

I can't find either of them on the 1871 via Ancestry, but there is the Death registration of a William Read in Dec qtr 1865 at Hereford reg district (which covers Madley) and also a Marriage registration in March qtr 1866 of an Ann J Read to a Charles Sharp again in Hereford reg district. Perhaps your best bet would be to check the parish registers of Madley (available from your nearest LDS Family History Centre) to see if there is baptismal record of your William jnr. Have you just checked Free BMD for his birth registration, which is not fully complete, or have you looked on 1837 online which contains all birth registrations but is a pay to view site. It shouldn't cost too much to check for his birth and could be well worth while. Good luck with the search.

Janet.

KatieB
28-11-2005, 8:28 AM
I have been on 1837 and checked 1857-1863 with no luck under both spellings Read and Reid.

I have struggled with the census as well All the William REids with William as a father have had a brother Thomas which rules them out as my William used was know as Thomas when the family moved to Aston!