PDA

View Full Version : Message from the FBI

Jackie Reilly
24-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Beware an email purporting to be from the FBI. It's alarming as it states that you've accessed at least 30 illegal sites and asks you to answer their questions. DON'T open the attachment.

Check out the official website of the FBI where they give details of the scam and say that they would never contact individuals in this way.

Jackie Reilly

Terry
24-11-2005, 1:56 PM
Also watch out for same thing supposedly from the CIA.

Patrisia
24-11-2005, 4:58 PM
I had half a dozen yesterday of that type, including three with a gov.uk suffix - so be careful!

davebland
25-11-2005, 1:35 PM
There is also one purporting to be from Barclays Bank

Jack Richards
25-11-2005, 2:03 PM
I suspect that I am like many of you in so far as I have recently received dozens of emails on my several email addresses purporting to come from Barclays Bank.

My problem is, not being too good with emails etc. I do not know how to stop their flow. My Eudora free version does not seem to allow me to block them and also on NTL - I admit defeat!

Regards

Jack

Dennis Harker
25-11-2005, 5:11 PM
Jack & Everyone,

Have a look at this link. As the website says Mailwasher will remain free for ever.

http://www.mailwasher.net/

I've been using it for three or four years and spam never gets to Outlook or my PC now because this program lets you sort it whilst it's still on the ISP servers. It can also be useful for checking your emails whilst out and about and not connected to your own ISP. You can set up any number of email accounts for Mailwasher to check and if you want to get really technical you can set up filters for it to automatically get rid of spam without your input.

I haven't seen the FBI and CIA emails mentioned above but there are a lot at the moment from 'Barclays' and 'Nigeria'. Viewing them on Mailwasher allows me to also have a chuckle at how poorly written and obvious some of them are - without them getting anywhere near my PC.

There are a few websites that will also list the latest spoofs and scams but I can't remember them for the moment.

Mark
25-11-2005, 7:54 PM
Another method is to filter the incoming mail into separate mailboxes for the list(s) you subscribe to etc, then almost everything else that remains in your InBox is junk ... and the delete key is great.

Set Eudora to not download linked images contained in mail.

Use common sense.

Eudora "paid" edition includes a junk filter which is pretty efficient.

Mark

Chasing Caseys
25-11-2005, 8:57 PM
I sent an email to someone yesterday and i got an instant reply re a mail asking me to fill in my name and also a number that was visable to me on the mail- a bit like when you get your security number for your credit card. This woman uses something called Choice Mail as she supposedly get tons of spam and then i suppose filters the ones she wants to reply to. If this is used as an everyday / everymail option i am sure a lot of people wouldnt bother to go through all the hassle. Do any of you use this sort of thing ?. As i have mentioned before i get very little spam as aol have this covered and puts unknown stuff in the spam folder and i then have the choice of whether i want to open it or delete it.

Terry
25-11-2005, 10:55 PM
I for one refuse to do anything about those sorts of messages. I've had people send me an OPC enquiry then when I reply their spam sorter expects me to fill in this form. NO way, if they're expecting a reply from me then they should add me to their white list or whatever and not expect me to ask permission to post a message in reply to their message.
In a freezing cold Torquay, where it snowed today (and it is a very rare occurence- last snow we had was last Christmas day):cool: