PDA

View Full Version : W32/Sober virus warning

Rod Neep
24-11-2005, 7:28 AM
A variant of W32/Sober.gen@MM, !W32/Sober@MM!M681 (W32/Sober@MMM681) is another mass-mailing
worm hiding inside a spam email attachment. When run, the virus displays
a fake error message, infects the host computer then sends itself to
stolen email addresses. Note: VirusScan users with the latest DAT file
are protected from this threat.

What should I look for?

SUBJECT: Examples: Registration Confirmation; Paris Hilton &
Nicole Richie; hi, ive a new mail address
BODY: Example: hey its me, my old address dont work at time.
i dont know why?! in the last days ive got some mails. i' think thaz
your mails but im not sure!

Steve Garnham
13-09-2006, 3:27 PM
Rod

Here are some links BG members may find useful:

http://www.microsoft.com/spyware

Go to this link & click on "More Security Software" (on the right-hand side of the page)

-go to Spyware (on the right-hand side of the page), & download Ad-AdwareSE, Spybot & Windows Defender (Beta2) - install

Whenever you run these programs, click "Check for updates" first. All programs are free of charge.

http://www.securitytango.com

- an information site that is very good - look under "Let's Dance" for advice & downloads on how to clean & protect your PC

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox

-download the web browser & use it whenever you are doing banking/financial transactions.

Regards

Steve Garnham

BeeE586
13-09-2006, 4:29 PM
I admit to being somewhat thick when it comes to understanding the finer points of computing, and you have got me worried.

I am on AOL and have McAfee virus protection. I also have Firewall, Spyware, a frequently upgraded customized spam list - I thought I was safe. I never open anything in the spam trap that I do not recognize (a genuine e-mail does sometimes slip through if it contains a particular word), just delete the lot unopened, as I do any e-mail that looks at all dodgy.

I run computer check up every week and get regular messages regarding virus scan updates, spyware searches, but no error messages.

Now it would seem from reading the current posts that I may not be fully covered - that maybe I need belt AND braces in the form of other protection programmes.

Please, will someone advise me, in words of no more than three letters that an idiot can understand, what else I should do ?

Eileen

MarkJ
13-09-2006, 4:44 PM
Sounds like you are working safely there Eileen :)
My recommendations when I worked as a Host with AOL were -
Firewall
Spyware protection - both Spybot S&D and AdAware
Anti Virus program - and keep it updated at least weekly, preferably more often
If possible, a trojan remover, though this is not common for most people and most of the common ones are spotted by the AV and spyware detecting programs.

Your comments show you are working safely - removing spam without opening it, keeping up to date etc.

AOL, surprisingly to many people, actually avoids a lot of spam by the way it works - non standard mail client for example. Like most ISPs now, they also scan for viruses and remove a majority of those, plus spam, at source.

For those using Internet Explorer, I would recommend looking at Firefox instead as a safer browser.
Likewise, I would suggest Thunderbird as a mail client as a safer alternative to Outlook Express.
AOLs mail client, as mentioned, is fairly safe to start with.

Mark

busyglen
13-09-2006, 6:25 PM
Eileen, I don't think you can do any more than you are. We are both on AOL, and I have Norton instead of McAfee, but that is the only difference. I occasionally get a notification that a Trojan has attempted to access my pc, but touch wood, things seem to run very well.

As Mark says, you are doing the right things, and let's face it, we can never be sure that something won't slip through, whatever we do.

Carry on enjoying your computing! :)

Glenys

Mike_E
13-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Get an Apple Mac, don't get so many virus infections or attempts on that OS.

Mike

BeeE586
14-09-2006, 12:40 AM
To Mark and Glenys

Thank you both for putting my mind at rest - I did hope that I was doing everything right. I suppose it is a bit like home or car security, if someone is determined to break in they will do so whatever precautions you take. As you say, Glenys, we do the best we can and live in hopes. I have been computing for 23 years - it is the internet that is comparatively new.

Eileen