PDA

View Full Version : Militia ballot lists

mick
23-11-2005, 12:25 PM
After running into a wall with my East Winch Claxton ancestors i have started to work outside the box a bit to try and make some headway.
Does anyone have access to the militia ballot lists for the East Winch area and could let me know if there are any Claxtons or Claxons mentioned.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Mick

Geoffers
23-11-2005, 1:23 PM
Does anyone have access to the militia ballot lists for the East Winch area and could let me know if there are any Claxtons or Claxons mentioned.The Gibson and Medleycott guide, 'Militia Lists and Musters 1757-1876' (publ FFHS ISBN 1 872094 02 3) notes the only Norfolk ballot lists surviving are for; 1759, Antingham, 1762 North Erpingham Hd (10 parishes), 1763 Beeston Regis, 1765 North Erpingham Hd. Some Musters and regimental returns survive, but none for the mid-18th century.

I can't find any more using http://www.a2a.org.uk/

Where are you stuck? There might be another way around things.

Geoffers

mick
23-11-2005, 2:01 PM
My gggg grandfather William Claxon (Claxton) married Jane Painter in East Winch in december 1793. He was born about 1766 but not in East Winch according to the parish records.
I was hoping that if Claxtons / Claxons / Claxans were mentioned in the musters , it might give me some indication if he had family in the village.
Mick

Geoffers
23-11-2005, 5:02 PM
If he moved to East Winch to marry - and his parish of origin is not given in the marriage register, I'd suggest trying the Land tax Returns 1798, an indexed transcript is held by the NFHS who privde lookups for members. Although he moved away, some of his family may still be shown in the parish/area where he was born.

Sheila Bell's 'Index to names in the Bishop's Transcripts from the diocese of Norwich' (publ NNGS 1986) is also very useful. There are in fact three books, one covering 1685-91, the second 1705 and the third 1715. The books record parishes where a surname is mentioned in the respective years. In 1715, ClAXTON, is noted in Alburgh, South Creake, Downham Market, Garveston, Mukbarton, Brisley, Lynn St.Margaret, Norwich St.Giles; CLACKSON is recorded in Carleton Forehoe, Downham Market, Baconsthorpe, Hemsby, Lynn St.Nicholas, Scarning, Norwich St.Martin at Oak

Geoffers

mick
23-11-2005, 7:40 PM
Thank you Geoffers.

You have given me plenty to get on with - the membership form for NFHS is filled in and ready to be posted in the morning. Do you know if it is possible to get Sheila Bell's index from the public library?
Mick

Geoffers
23-11-2005, 8:49 PM
Do you know if it is possible to get Sheila Bell's index from the public library?
Sorry, that I don't know; you can but try. If you're in the county, Norfolk Studies hold copies, as does the NFHS otherwise, I believe the SoG in London has them. If you're no where near either and completely stuck - ask as I have all three books. As they are no longer commercially available and so I'm not denying the author a sale, I could check them for you.

One other source you could try, if you have it, is the 1851 tri-county census transcript CD. Although well after your chap was born, again you may find that some of his family remained in their 'home' parish/area.

Geoffers

mick
24-11-2005, 7:31 AM
Thanks Geoffers

As the information i have on the wedding is second hand, i'll have a look at it first to check a)whether he is of East Winch parish, and b) if the other names on the record are meaningful. If he was out of parish. i can then start looking for settlement certificates..
Mick

Pam Downes
24-11-2005, 7:48 AM
Sheila Bell's 'Index to names in the Bishop's Transcripts from the diocese of Norwich' (publ NNGS 1986) is also very useful. There are in fact three books, one covering 1685-91, the second 1705 and the third 1715. The books record parishes where a surname is mentioned in the respective years.
I've just checked and can confirm that the SoG have all three books.
Pam Downes

Geoffers
24-11-2005, 8:32 AM
i can then start looking for settlement certificates..
Norfolk Record Office has a good online catalogue that is worth checking as to what is available for parishes.
http://nrocat.norfolk.gov.uk/dservea/Index.htm

Enter 'East Winch Parish Records' in the 1st field (any text).
Look to the bottom of the screen and where you see 'Combine words in field', select 'and'. - Then search.

You'll get at least one hit. Click on the number by the line that should read 'Parish Records of East Winch' - Then select the link, 'Click here to see this record in its hierarchical context'.

You'll get a full list of all records displayed for the parish of East Winch. I think this is a very useful way to display what is available for any parish as you can pick out documents that you may not otherwise have considered, or be aware of their existence.

Settlements and removals will be under 'Overseers of the poor'.
Geoffers