PDA

View Full Version : Dilhorne - Salt family

JudithMP
20-10-2004, 9:11 PM
Is anyone looking at the Salt family in Dilhorne? I am descended from Herbert Salt, who was born there around 1833. I have managed to trace the family quite a long way back, but am always looking for new info!

Linda Bailey
21-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Hi
Do your Salt's include those who were connected with the Royal Oak in Dilhorne?
My interests in that area are the Shelley's who were connected with a number of pubs in that area, and on the headstone of one - John Shelley of "Copshurst" Lightwood, Late of "Royal Oak" Dilhorne, died Dec 21st 1929 aged 66 years.
I know that one Sam Shelley married into the Cope family who were running the Roe Buck Inn in Checkley. I was wondering if they also married any in the Salt family?

Thanks Linda

Pamela Hall
28-10-2004, 1:33 AM
I'm looking at the Salt family of Dilhorne Judith. Have we already been in contact?

Pam
Fenton

JudithMP
01-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Hi Linda.
My family were the Salt's connected with the Royal Oak among others - most of the pubs in the area, in fact! However, I don't have any links listed with any Shelley's, I'm afraid. Sorry I can't help there.
Judith

Hi
Do your Salt's include those who were connected with the Royal Oak in Dilhorne?
My interests in that area are the Shelley's who were connected with a number of pubs in that area, and on the headstone of one - John Shelley of "Copshurst" Lightwood, Late of "Royal Oak" Dilhorne, died Dec 21st 1929 aged 66 years.
I know that one Sam Shelley married into the Cope family who were running the Roe Buck Inn in Checkley. I was wondering if they also married any in the Salt family?

Thanks Linda

Sylvia
02-11-2004, 6:15 AM
Judith

I have an Emma Louise Salt who married William Henry Gotham at Christ Church, Fenton in 1888. Emma was living in Adelaide Street at the time but I do not know anything more about her. Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Sylvia

JudithMP
02-11-2004, 1:45 PM
Sylvia,
Thanks for your posting. Unfortunately I haven't come across Emma Louise at all. Thank you for contacting me, anyway.
All the best,
Judith

Judith

I have an Emma Louise Salt who married William Henry Gotham at Christ Church, Fenton in 1888. Emma was living in Adelaide Street at the time but I do not know anything more about her. Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Sylvia

JonathanCarter
24-10-2006, 10:44 PM
SALT
Can anyone link up the SALT family of Alrewas Staffs (Philp SALT bap 18 Oct 1747 so Thomas & Elizabeth SALT) to the SALT family of Dilhorne/Trentham Staffs- possibly to Joseph SALT B 1695 father of John Thomas & Joseph? (is that the same Thomas?)
I greatly like the idea of being linked with The Royal Oak- is it a pub?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Jonathan

JonathanCarter
24-10-2006, 10:46 PM
Forgot to say that with regard to the Dilhorne SALT's, I have a link going back to Thomas Salt B. 1560

SBSFamilyhistory
12-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Judith

Best wishes

Sylvia

I have salt's from the stoke on trent/uttoxeter area

Sue

David Cail
21-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Hi Judith, Not sure if you are able to help, as l notice that your request is dated back to 2004, but if you are able to help, would be great. I have a John Salt b:1780 in Cheadle, Staffordshire, England - d: 1850 Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England who married Ellen Tipper b: 1788 Cheadle, Staffordshire, England - d: 1856 Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England on the 7 Dec 1806 in St.Gile's Cheadle, Staffordshire, England. They had 10 children who were all born in Stoke-on-Trent. I am connected to the Family through the Tipper side of the family.

christanel
21-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Hello David and welcome to Brit-Gen
Judith and Linda are no longer members of Brit-Gen so will not receive notification of your post. The other posters are still members and if they retain the same email addresses then they may receive notification of your post and reply to your message.

If you would like help from other Brit-Gen members re your Salt/Tipper family then you could place a new post with the details you have and what you are hoping to find.

Good luck

Christanel

David Cail
22-09-2013, 7:40 AM
Hi Jonathan, Not sure if you are able to help me, as l notice that your request is dated back to 2006, but if you are able to help, would be great. I have a John Salt b:1780 in Cheadle, Staffordshire, England - d: 1850 Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England who married Ellen Tipper b: 1788 Cheadle, Staffordshire, England - d: 1856 Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England on the 7 Dec 1806 in St.Gile's Cheadle, Staffordshire, England. They had 10 children who were all born in Stoke-on-Trent. I am connected to the Family through the Tipper side of the family.

Zen Rabbit
22-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Hi David
I have Finneys in my family from Wootton in Staffordshire, not far from Cheadle, but in my researches I have have come across an awful lot of Salts from that area. From what I can tell the family arose out of salt mining in the area and beyond. Local connections seem to be mostly through the Davenport family who owned lands and salt works in Staffordshire, Warwickshire and Cheshire. Salts figure largely in the manorial records and my Finneys married some of them. Where in Stoke did John Salt die? As the Finneys moved to Stoke (Longton & Fenton) and so did some Salts. I have an Ann Finney who married a Ralph Salt in Ellastone in 1769 and they had a son John (amongst other children) christened in 1779, though as far as I can tell he stayed in Wootton as a farmer.