PDA

View Full Version : Who married James NUDD in 1793?

robinadexter
21-11-2005, 2:34 PM
My great-great grandmother Elizabeth NUDD (1796 - 1852) was born in Hickling, daughter of James NUDD and his wife Elizabeth.

LDS Ancestral File has the parents' marriage as 4 Feb 1793 and Elizabeth as nee SAUNDERS, born in Fressingfield Suffolk, the daughter of Thomas SAUNDERS and Elizabeth GENERY (though I do not know what evidence they have for this identification).
According to Pallot's marriage Index, James NUDD did indeed marry Elizabeth SAUNDERS in 1793.
SKS checked the parish record in Norwich Archive and confirmed SAUNDERS.

I had asked for this check, because information obtained from another researcher, after much consideration lead to the conclusion that Elizabeth's maiden name was ALEXANDER ....even though the parish register looked to have SAUNDERS.

Well, we all know about parish mistranscribing so, hoping to clarify the issue, I logged onto a NUDD-y site and pursued the Hickling entries. Here, I found James NUDD marrying (on 4 Feb 1793) an Elizabeth SAVORS or SAVIOURS (according to later baptisms - including one of a child born on 5 Feb 1793 and another in 1796 of a child who should be 'my' Elizabeth).

These records also include baptisms of the children of James NUDD and Elizabeth (late ALEXANDER), but no records of a marriage in these names. Also no apparent SAUNDERS/NUDD connexions.

So, now I am somewhat at a loss and it will be some time before I can get from Cumbria to Norwich to investigate for myself.

My question/request is: has anyone any positive information or advice on this subject? I can work out all the permutations on possible explanations, so I do not need any help with guess work, thanks!

Robina

Geoffers
21-11-2005, 3:21 PM
I'm afraid that Hickling is one of the parishes for which I don't have a copy of the registers, though if you're in the NFHS, it may be worth asking the help team at Kirby Hall. In the meantime, just a few thoughts.

Is there definitely just one James NUDD who married an Elizabeth, who was having children at this time? I ask because I came across a William low who married a Sarah, whose maiden name kept changing. Turned out there were three William Lows, each married to a Sarah, two of them were widowed and remarried to.....Sarah! Talk about a nightmare to sort out.

I have twice encountered examples where it appears a cleric has been interrupted whilst writing an entry in a register, when he continued he wrote down a surname from the previous entry (once it was the maiden name of the mother, t'other time it was the father's surname). These entries were later correctly entered in the Archdeacon's Transcripts.

If no one can assist, the NRO may be able to sell you copies of the register/ATs on fiches. This would be cheaper than travelling. Has the Parish Register Transcription Society published a transcription? http://www.prtsoc.org.uk/
Geoffers

robinadexter
22-11-2005, 12:25 AM
Aha, Geoffers, that is just what I'd like to know!
Hickling was (and for all I know, still is) awash with NUDDs. I have at least three candidates for James, not all born in Norfolk; not all equally convincing.

Like you, I have had problems with cousins/name-doppelgangers before, so I would not find it too hard to believe that three James NUDDs married three Elizabeths (SAUNDERS, ALEXANDER and SAVIOURS) apparently all on the same day but, if so, it is not as easy to think that even the most absent minded vicar could have recorded only one of those weddings. Yet, all my sources - even one researcher who was seeking to clarify Elizabeth's name, seem to have found just the ONE record of a James NUDD marrying in Hickling: i.e. to Elizabeth X on 4 Feb 1793. They just differ as to her surname. (Phillimore has SAUNDERS, by the way).
Even acknowledging the existence of the different 'original' sources, Bishop's transcripts, parish register, .... etc. it does seem stange that each of them seems to have recorded only one wedding of a James NUDD, on that date - but to a different woman each time. AND I have so far found no reference to another marriage date.
How one longs for an ancestor called - consistently -Hebblemyer Blongentrimp!
|banghead|
Cheers
Robina