PDA

View Full Version : Ramsay Wardlaw McFarlane

joette
21-11-2005, 1:04 PM
Seeking descendants of Ramsay & his wife Helen/Ellen Robb.He was born Midlothian 1833 & is the son of Duncan McFarlane/Jannet Veitch.
I am trying to establish if Jannet is the sister/aunt of my ancestor John Veitch son of John Veitch & Elisabeth Tait.
Ramsay had siblings Agnes,Elisabeth & I think John.Elisabeth is with John Veitch,his 2nd wife Janet Liddle,his daughter Helen(daughter of 1st wife Ann Craik)& her newly married husband John Scott in the 1841 Census.Living nearby is Ramsay with his parents/siblings.
I know he went to Australia after his marriage in 1856.He was a Mason on his Marriage Certificate. I want to establish if his parents/siblings went too.
Any help appreciated as I have no knowledge of the Austalian systems of family history.I dont know where in Aussie they went.

ChristineR
24-11-2005, 1:19 PM
This is the only cd I have - appears they must have went to Victoria

Digger - Death Index. Victoria 1921-1985

Surname: MCFARLANE
Given Names: Duncan
Father: Mcfarlane Ramsay
Mother: Unknown UNKNOWN
Death Place: BWK (Brunswick)
Age Code:
Year: 1931
Reg Number: 8253
Event: D

Surname: BISHOP
Given Names: Helen
Father: Mcfarlane Ramsay Wardlow
Mother: Helen UNKNOWN
Death Place: M PONDS
Age Code:
Year: 1943
Reg Number: 7036

Surname: JOHNSON
Given Names: Annie Pagan
Father: Mcfarlane Ramsay
Mother: Helen ROBB
Death Place: M PONDS (Moonee Ponds)
Age Code:
Year: 1945
Reg Number: 1487

(cont)

ChristineR
24-11-2005, 1:22 PM
Digger - Death Index. Victoria 1921-1985 (Australia)

Given Names: Jas
Father: Ramsay Wardlaw
Death Place: MELB E (Melbourne East)
Age Code:
Year: 1926
Reg Number: 6576

Given Names: William
Father: Ramsy Wardlo
Death Place: SWAN (not sure what this place is)
Age Code:
Year: 1957
Reg Number: 22965

Given Names: Minnie
Father: Ramsay
Death Place: PARK (Parkville)
Age Code:
Year: 1958
Reg Number: 6825

Given Names: Ramsay James
Father: James Ramsay
Mother: Olive Elizabeth HART
Death Place: HEID (Heidelberg)
Age Code:
Year: 1971
Reg Number: 11751

The places of death are the registration places.

Christine

ChristineR
24-11-2005, 1:42 PM
Someone on the forum may have the other index cds - If Jannet did die in Australia, a death certifcate is only as good as the information known by the informant. If you are lucky, the index will give the names you expect.

The indexes are searchable online, for a fee (.99c per page of results) - also you can download an image of certificates ($A17.50) This is a perfectly safe site, you are only charged for what you view, and the minimum spend you have to put in for your credit card is just so you are prompted if you go over the amount you set yourself to spend. It is a good idea to read the searching hints before you start as it is very exacting - I haven't used it for ages, but John did not bring up Jno, George doesn't bring up Geo as well.

http://online.justice.vic.gov.au/servlet/bdm_home

Or, if no one comes up with the other index info here, post your query on one of the message boards - the Australia wide one would be best.

Christine
Australia

Mata hari
20-03-2012, 8:58 PM
Hi from New Zealand
Regrettably I can add very little or nothing to your research as I too am looking for links on this family along with another researcher in Scotland.
My line is actually Ketchen but crosses into the Veitch line which is just so convoluted I could scream. I started with John Veitch who married Christina Little in 1843, and this line is proven. His death at Taquair says his father is John Veitch and mother ? Cowan, though I can find no evidence of the Cowan connection. I have found John Veitch and Janet (Liddell) at Mount Lothian in 1841 who I think is the father of John c 1821 + Little and done some research into this Census listing which is how I have ended up connecting to you. I have the death of John + Liddell who says his father is John, what a (surprise) and his mother is Elizabeth Tait. Do you have any idea of the Banns dates for Craik and Liddell ?
My ggg grandfather worked for the Wardlaw Ramsays and was buried by them at Carrington. There is also Pagen as a middle name on one of the early Ketchen lines. I will look up some of my old records and Monumental inscriptions which have been such a help in the past.
Veitche's came to NZ along with one of my Ketchen lines, and there are descendants still here, though they have not been of any help and know very little unfortunately. Mind you I can understand anyone giving up on this line of research. I have been round the houses so to speak and have as many questions as answers.
Have you used the choustonf2s site. He is related to the Veitche's and has a wealth of data. It is not always 100% but he is open to correction and does not guarantee the correctness.

I have only just started back on my research as we had visitors all January and my daughter and grandchildren only left for home in Australia on the 6th, then of course last year was mostly taken up with the earthquake and associated matter, which is very much still ongoing. We will be out of our house for 4 to 6 weeks in the near future if we can find somewhere to go. I will take some of my research but it will be very limited.

I have been to Scotland 5 times but have so much Scottish ancestry I could probably go another 5 and still not have it all sorted.
I look forward to hearing from you and will keep you informed of my findings.
Cheers
Janet

joette
21-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Hi Mati Hari I have PM you but before I read the post.Thanks Christine for the info on the Australian entries.
I have established that Janet McFarlane is John's sister.
I don't know when Ann Craik & John were married but know it was in Eddlestone where Helen & her sister Janet were born(c1809 & 1819) Presume there were other children but none I can prove.
I have not found any children for John & Janet do you mean John was born Liddle but his Father was John? John died in Glencorse in 1860.Janet Liddell must have been a good stepmum to Helen as she named her only daughter Janet Liddell Scott.
I wondered where the Ramsay Wardlaw name came from!
Elizabeth Tait was John's mother named as Betsy daughter of Peter Tait on her marriage entry(Edinburgh) as John's Father who was Betsy husband was a drover the children(ten that I could prove) are born in different Parishes but Janet(McFarlane) & John were both born Crawfordjohn Lanarkshire although as the horse travels not that far from Eddlestone & Peebles where Betsy was born.