PDA

View Full Version : Coleman - Brighton, Sussex

Lynda Cunningham
18-11-2005, 9:40 AM
Hi

I am trying to help a friend in Australia.
While she has stacks of information about what happened to her chap once he was down under, she knows very little about him or his family before he was done for stealing a rabbit.
Skin of said rabbit was produced in court 2 weeks later, and immediately recognised by the owner :rolleyes:

Transportation record:
John COLEMAN
Year: 1835
Birth Place: Sussex
State: NSW
Ship: England 2

He lived in Brighton, and his father's name was William Coleman.
His mother's name is thought to have been Lucy or Ann

Any contributions gratefully received - thank you

best wishes
Lynda

Jane M
18-11-2005, 3:40 PM
Hi Lynda,
I've had a look through Familysearch for a likely baptism of this poor little guy, but nothing seems glaringly obvious. Of the three I found, this was the only John Coleman with a father, William....baptised 23/2/1814 Rustington, Sussex s/o William & Hannah.....5 years too early & Rustington is some ways along the south coast from Brighton.
Checked the Sussex Marriage Index for marriages of his parents. This is what I found for marriages between a William Coleman and a Lucy or Ann;

Archdeaconry of Chichester Marriage Licence,10 Oct 1803:
William COLEMAN, Lancing (sev yrs) b 19+ wcom Sarah COLEMAN widow of Lancing
Lucy RIDDLE, s Goring (sev yrs) 18+ wcom Jude (sic) RIDDLE of Goring labourer

Goring, West Sussex, 11 Oct 1803:
William COLEMAN, Lancing
Lucy RIDDLES, (Lic)

wcom=with consent of mother

Place: Ewhurst, East Sussex, 31 Jul 1806:
William COLEMAN, Brede
Lucy NICHOLAS

Ewhurst is in the SE of Sussex on the Kent border.

No marriage of a William Coleman to an Ann of the right period in Sussex.

Is there any more details of the offence, where/when it happened?

Jane

Lynda Cunningham
18-11-2005, 4:23 PM
Hi Jane

Thanks very much for taking the time, nothing leaps out does it, but you never know ???
Apparently there is a newspaper article about the case, and I'm waiting on the details.
So please - watch this space, I need the help of friends

Thanks again & best wishes
Lynda

Jane M
18-11-2005, 5:43 PM
Two heads are better than one, as they say, Lynda:) so I am watching this space.
We have an approximate DOB of 1819 for John. If we can find out where this all took place, that will give us a starting point.
The couple, William & Lucy who married in Ewhurst seem to have stayed there as I noticed baptisms on the IGI for,
James 1806
Silvya 1808
Elizabeth 1811
Edward Nicholas 1813
William Nicholas 1817
All Ewhurst & the two boys being given a second name which appears to be in reference to their mother's maiden name.
Just looked through the 1851 for Colemans in Brighton, quite a few but nothing that stands out.
Perhaps the article might shed some light,

jane

Jane M
18-11-2005, 6:41 PM
Lynda, seems he was granted his freedom in 1846

Search Index to Certificates of Freedom, 1823-69
Query: Surname = 'coleman%' , Firstname = 'john%' , Vessel = 'England%' , Year = '1835%' Order by Surname,Firstname

[Page 1 of 1]SurnameFirstnameAliasVesselYearCFNoDateSRRefFilmRe marksCOLEMANJohnEngland183543/113418 Jul 18434/43831014TL 39/2029

Lynda Cunningham
20-11-2005, 8:29 AM
Hi Jane
Thanks for that, but he only got 7 years:(

Sad to say that this doesn't much help in the search, but makes for interesting reading. From Brighton Patriot and Lewes Free Press 14th April 1835 [P.295 Lewes Quarter Session]

John Coleman was charged with stealing, at Brighton, on the 21st March last, one dead rabbit, the property of John Strivens.

Eliz.Strivens (wife to prosecutor); lives at Fulking, and attends Brighton market; was there last Saturday fortnight, the 21st of March, with three rabbits; went to the Clarence Hotel yard with her cart, and left it there; went away about half-past 8; missed the rabbit about 11 o'clock.-Henry Hughes deposed that he saw prisoner lurking about the cart; watched him, and saw him take the rabbit from the cart and put it under his frock; gave an alarm, when prisoner dropped the rabbit, which witness picked up and gave to the ostler of the yard.-James Dinnage, the ostler, produced the rabbit's skin, which Mrs.Strivens identified. Guilty
-Transported for 7 years.

Lynda Cunningham
20-11-2005, 8:35 AM
the Convict Indent doesn't tell much else -

No. 35-2194, John Coleman, 16, Can't read or write. Protestant, Single,
County Sussex, Stealing Rabbits, Sussex quarter sessions. 6 April, 1835.
Sentence 7 years. 14 days & flogged. Height 5ft. 1 1/2 inches. Complexion
Ruddy, Hair brown, eyes brown.
Physical description - Scar left eyebrow. Scar under each eye, Scar under
outer corner of right eye. 12 scars in center of forehead. Mark of boil on
chest. Initials M.H.J.C.F.R. on inside of lower right arm. Woman on upper,
Bird & J. Coleman on lower left arm. Blue mark on back of left hand and a
ring on middle finger of same.

Sounds awful doesn't it? However he seemed to live a very law abiding life once he settled in Australia, and the Freemasons erected a very ornate gravestone honouring him after he died (at about 56 years of age)

I sense a |banghead| approaching. Back to the drawing board ?

Thanks for your interest & help |hug|

best wishes
Lynda

Jane M
20-11-2005, 3:15 PM
Crikey Lynda, what a story!!! Poor guy didn't even get to eat it as he dropped it. As well as being flogged, to get a 7 year transportation sentence! That's a real case of the punishment not fitting the crime! (I should have said his freedom was granted in 1843 which is 7/8 years & probably a formality)

How do you know his father was William? Did he ever mention brothers or sisters?
Jane

Lynda Cunningham
28-11-2005, 7:17 PM
Hello Jane :)

Thanks for that. It may be that extra information could be gleaned from criminal records in the Sussex Record Office? I have references for his trials, but unfortunately I'm not in a position to do the searching.
Hopefully SKS here visits the RO from time-to-time, and will be able to help with my Australian friend's quest?

1.Sussex Q.Sessions Jan.6 1835, case 2,Doc Ref.1835 no. 810-acquitted.
2. SXQS April 7 1835, Case 1, ref. 1855 no. 828, offence larceny dead rabbit, transported 7 years.
3. Lewes SSX midsummer quarter sessions,1833, case 11, no. 816.

best wishes
Lynda

PS. re William - I'm receiving info from my friend in dribs & drabs, and waiting on a reply to that same question. I am also 'told' that John was living with his mother in Orange Row when he was sentenced in 1835, a pretty grim area I believe?