PDA

View Full Version : George Hall, William Davy Cartwright

IreneH
20-10-2004, 1:07 AM
looking for information on George Hall belived to have been born in Lincolnshire around 1839/40. Came to NZ as a 18/19 year old............and that is all the info I have on the old codger in the UK. Anyone missing a George? The old prirate is my GGrandfather.
And William Davy Cartwright also Lincolnshire born around 1864. His father was a Henry Cartwright.
If anyone know anything about them or have ideas on how to track these two I'll be your friend for life!!

Irene

mick
21-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Hi irene
You may have this already but William Davy Cartwright was born in the March quarter 1864 in Caistor district Lincolnshire.
( volume 7a page 612)
Mick

IreneH
21-10-2004, 7:02 PM
Hi Mick,

You little humdinger!! I only had his birth date worked out from the year he died. That and his fathers name which I got have got mixed up with someone elses! William's father was also a George NOT Henry!!
Would it be possible for you to a little looking up for me please - being at the bottom of the world makes things a little difficult.

What I'd like is William's mother and siblings if he had any. briths and deaths - and his father's as well. And anything else you might find about the family.
Feel free to say NO!! But I would be ever so gratefully if you felt inclined.

Many thanks.

Irene

mick
23-10-2004, 9:17 AM
Hi Irene
I found records of Cartwrights and Davy's living in the Caistor district but no record of them marrying. Have also looked on the 1871, 1881, and 1891 census but no joy so far.Do you have any more info on George Cartwright that might help.
You may need to get Williams birth certificate as there is a chance he was illegitimate and his name changed after his mothers marriage.
Mick

IreneH
26-10-2004, 2:30 AM
Hi Mick,

Oops! Sorry. I didn't make myself too clear. William and his father George and I assume, the rest of the family immigrated to NZ around 1870. (I've worked this out from his death date. William lived in NZ for 65yrs) William would have been about 6yrs old at that stage. I'm hunting through immigant shipping passenger lists - no luck so far. I will be able to get his death certificate when I going up to Wellington (NZ) at the end of next month.That will give me who his mother was and hopefully where he was born (town) in Lincolnshire, and lots of other hopefully uesful info.
The only thing I have on at this stage George is his name. (Williams death certificate should give me a lot more info on him too). I have no idea about the rest of his family. William died in NZ in 1935 at the age of 71.
All of this is not not much help I know - but we get to meet such nice people when we are trying to find old bones.

I'm hoping to get a lot more info on George Hall as well in Wellington. William married Emily Bella Hall (George Hall's daughter) in 1887 in NZ. Emily was my Great Aunt

You've been a great help and I'll get back to you if I may after I've been to Wellington. Or if I find something at this end that sheds some more light on him/them.

Irene

kiwicatz
05-02-2015, 2:38 AM
Very interested in this post - I have lots of Cartwrights and lots of Davys in Lincs - would love you to sort out William Davy Cartwright and see if he fits in.

Jan

IreneH
08-02-2015, 7:55 PM
Hi Jan,

George Cartwright was born in Beelsy Lincolnshire and married Ann Davy. They had three kids William Davy, Betsy Ann and Charles. They left the UK for NZ in 1875. Betsy and Charles died aboard ship.
George Cartwright settled in Taranaki. Ann died about 2 - 3 years after they arrived. George never, as far as I can see, remarried.

George's father died before he was born, and was 6yrs old when his mother remarried a Tomlinson and had 3 more kids. Two of which also came to NZ.

Irene

kiwicatz
09-02-2015, 2:28 AM
Hello Irene
Can you tell me who George Cartwright's father was and when he was born? And do you know who Ann Davy's parents were? I am just trying to fit them in with the info I have. My main problem is even though plenty of Lincs relatives, I am hopeless at geography, and have never found a good map that shows all these places. Also, being in Australia. I have this Australian idea of distances and can't get my head around the distances in UK
Thank you
Jan

Pam Downes
09-02-2015, 4:43 AM
Ann Davy's baptism and her marriage to George Cartwright are both on FreeREG. http://www.freereg.org.uk/

Possible burials of Ann's father in 1843, and of George's father in 1836 are also on FreeREG.
Ditto, likely marriage of George's parents.

Basic details of the marriage of George's mother to John Tomlinson can be found in the Caistor spreadsheet, though there is a slight discrepancy as to whether her maiden name began with an H or an N.
http://mi.lincolnshiremarriages.org.uk/

I would agree that George's birthplace in 1851 does say Beelsby.
But in 1861 and 1871 it says Beesby. Different places, about twenty miles apart.
Bearing in mind the marriage place of his parents, and burial of his father, I reckon George was born in Beesby, more correctly known as Beesby in the Marsh. (It doesn't help that the parish churches in both places are dedicated to St Andrew. :smile5:)

Pam

Pam Downes
09-02-2015, 4:54 AM
Hello Irene
Can you tell me who George Cartwright's father was and when he was born? And do you know who Ann Davy's parents were? I am just trying to fit them in with the info I have. My main problem is even though plenty of Lincs relatives, I am hopeless at geography, and have never found a good map that shows all these places. Also, being in Australia. I have this Australian idea of distances and can't get my head around the distances in UK
Thank you
Jan

Even though UK distances are a lot shorter than in Australia (think of a number and divide by at least ten :smile5:) you're still unlikely to find a map which will show all the places in detail on your computer screen.
There are several online maps - I use Google maps as I can put in directions between one place and another which will give me an idea of the distance between them.

For parishes (though this is relevant to them in 1851 though they haven't altered all that much) http://maps.familysearch.org/
Handy as it shows adjacent parishes.

Pam

IreneH
09-02-2015, 6:02 PM
Hi Jan,

I haven't yet looked for the parents Mary Horton, so if you find them I'd love the info. Mary was definitely a Horton. I have son Charles's death Cert. and that states her name as Horton.
George Cartwright's father was James Cartwright married Mary Horton 1 Oct 1835 St Andrews Church. James died 5 Sept 1836. George was born 1836. Mary married John Tomlinson in 1840. George would have been 4yrs old not 6yrs. George married Ann Davy 1858, Ann was b. 1837 d. 1882 aged 45yrs. I need to dig more into this family. Again I have not yet hunted up Ann's parents. One of the thousand and one things to do when I retire 2 May 2016!!!

I'll dig up when George Cartwright died.

Irene