PDA

View Full Version : Pope/Gane in Kent

Julie Oz
04-11-2005, 9:18 PM
Hi
I am trying to find information relating to my great, great grandmother, Elizabeth Pope. Elizabeth was born in Kent (C1820) and married John Pope. My great grandmother, Alice, was born in 1844 and married Henry Holland Ward.
I think Elizabeth may have been Elizabeth Gane before her marriage. There is an Elizabeth Gane who married a John Pope in 1843 and Alice's birth is 9 months later.
My dilemma is how to purchase Alice's birth certificate from here in Australia. This certificate would give me Alice's mother's maiden name and then I could be certain if I am on the right track.
Also, Elizabeth was widowed by 1861 and was the landlady of "The Grapes" in Southwark. Anyone heard of this pub?
I appreciate any help anyone can offer.
Cheers,
Julie

Wirral
04-11-2005, 9:42 PM
According to the 1851 census, Elizabeth was born in Ramsgate, Kent & Alice in Islington Middlesex (London) Ho107/1499 page 1 folio 144. Let me know if you need full details.

Chasing Caseys
04-11-2005, 10:12 PM
http://www.cryerfamilyhistory.btinternet.co.uk/location-southwark-old.htm has some old pictures old Southwark and the second from bottom picture mentions The Grapes but doesnt show it. A lot comes up in the search for this pub - i think it still exists or at least the name does ! ( havnt looked through all the results though). I havnt visited many pubs in this part of London ;)

Wirral
04-11-2005, 11:07 PM
There is a birth for Alice Elizabeth Pope, Islington register office, volume 3 page 255 (?), June quarter 1844. You can check the details at 1837 online. I am not certain of the page number as it was difficult to read. These are the GRO (General Register Office) details. You can buy the certificate online at www.gro.gov.uk
nb, overseas births are those of people who were born overseas, not people who are applying from overseas for a certificate. I think it costs £7/certificate including postage. Takes about 7-14 days to arrive.