Lubbock
21-07-2020, 3:58 PM
Hi hello
My name is James I’ve just recently started collecting
And yes it is addictive .��
I’m at a loss as to how to research
Recipients of medals in my collection.
I joined forces research but it just gives basic information

I’m looking for a Crimean war individual by the the name of William Morris on the rim of his Sebastopol clasp Crimea medal It’s says 1st Dragoon guards.
There are two William Morris on has the number 1495 .
I’m just looking for some history on him and how do I get a copy of his army service papers
Hope someone can give me some pointers
Kind regards
James.

christanel
21-07-2020, 7:58 PM
Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums James
The first place I looked for information on how to research the Crimean war was The National Archives site. I used the red menu button then chose 'C' for Crimean war. Eventually I got to this.
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-muster-rolls-pay-lists-1730-1898/

which leads to For more information on soldiers’ records from this period see our guide to British Army soldiers up to 1913. https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-soldiers-up-to-1913/

I have also moved your post to a thread of its own in the Crimean War forum and given it the title William Morris 1st Dragoons

Christina

Lubbock
21-07-2020, 9:25 PM
Why thank you Christina
Very kind of you I'll check it out
Kind regards
James

Peter Goodey
22-07-2020, 8:04 AM
He's listed as a medal recipient in National Archives series WO100 but that doesn't tell you any more than you already know.

He's listed in the 1851 "British Army, Worldwide Index" in Dublin in the 1st (The King's) Regiment Of Dragoon Guards but not in the 1841 or 1861.

If he died in service or wasn't in the army long enough to be discharged to pension, no service record may have survived.

Lubbock
22-07-2020, 12:43 PM
Thank you for your assistance
Greatly appreciated.

Lubbock
22-07-2020, 1:59 PM
He's listed as a medal recipient in National Archives series WO100 but that doesn't tell you any more than you already know.

He's listed in the 1851 "British Army, Worldwide Index" in Dublin in the 1st (The King's) Regiment Of Dragoon Guards but not in the 1841 or 1861.

If he died in service or wasn't in the army long enough to be discharged to pension, no service record may have survived.

Hello peter
The only William Morris I can see
In Wo100/374 is recorded at the battle of Balaklava.
Not sure it’s the William I’m looking for.
Can’t see a service number With the one at Balaklava nice if it was him
Have you any suggestions where I can go next
Kind regards
James

Peter Goodey
22-07-2020, 2:54 PM
I just looked at the version on Ancestry. I found him in WO100/24 (Crimea...General & Line Cavalry)

Lubbock
22-07-2020, 3:34 PM
Thank you again
Can access his records for free on Ancestry
Or is it a paying site
Kind regards
James.

Lubbock
22-07-2020, 5:53 PM
Hi peter
I’m on ancestry UK
I can’t seem to access his service record
All I’ve managed is to see his name on a list
I’d line to know his date of birth and where he was born
Kind regards
James

Peter Goodey
23-07-2020, 8:02 AM
Have you read the guides that Christina mentioned? Lots of pointers there.

Also, for this sort of period, the only service records that survived (on the whole) are for men who were discharged to pension. That excludes men who weren't in the army for very long and those that died in service.

Lubbock
23-07-2020, 6:19 PM
Have you read the guides that Christina mentioned? Lots of pointers there.

Also, for this sort of period, the only service records that survived (on the whole) are for men who were discharged to pension. That excludes men who weren't in the army for very long and those that died in service.

Ok Will do
Kind regards
James

Lubbock
11-08-2020, 6:12 PM
Hi
Can’t seen to unearth any further information regarding William Morris
Tried a few research sites but only very basics are available
Don’t know if he died in service or remained in his unit
Taking part in further campaigns.

Would it be worthwhile hiring a researcher and is it expensive ?
Kind regards
James