PDA

View Full Version : Hobbies and Crafts at Cardiff International Arena

Ladkyis
04-11-2005, 12:53 AM
November 4th to November 6th there is a hobbies and Crafts fair at the Cardiff International Arena and the Federation of Family History Societies has a stand there - after all Family History is a hobby!

The stand will be manned by volunteers from Gwent and Glamorgan Family History Societies. there will not be huge amounts of local transcriptions and stuff available because the idea is to put Family History infront of hobbyists who haven't yet started to research.

This is because surveys have found that those people who do research their family history are inclined to be people who have other hobbies and interests.

If anyone from the area intends to visit the craft fair then come to the FFHS stand in the middle of the middle aisle and say hello to the short fat woman with glasses and a "what-am-I-doing-here" expression on her face and I will say hello back!

Ann Macey

Chasing Caseys
04-11-2005, 1:15 AM
Hi Ann

I wish i could be there to meet someone who i have sometimes responded to and have read some very funny replies from. I have sort of looked into my aunts family from Pengam and wish i could find out more as her mother was of mixed race and the only photos we have of the family her grandfathers face has been cut out. So it would be intersting for me to find out about the black imigrants to Wales and where they came from and the attitude towards them. My aunts mother died recently in her 90,s so i assume her parents married c 1915 ish. I have some great old photos of a mixed race lady and two children with names on the back but am none the wiser as the black side of the family as i am aware was never mentioned.
I am the only researching all branches of our family tree and i am frankly finding the "English" side harder than my full time job. |nopity|

Hope you have a good time and enjoy every minute of it !

Ladkyis
04-11-2005, 9:19 AM
this is a little convoluted but my ex daughter-in-law's grandfather came from Barbuda which is, apparently, a small island not far from Antiga. He married a girl from Pontypool around 1900 - 1910 they then moved to a rural area in Gwent where they brought up their children. They were the subject of a lot of racial ignorance and it was only the fact that the father was a very religious man and was a lay preacher that gave them the support of some chapel members.

I think the racism of the time was due to ignorance - in this day and age it is still the cause but can no longer be used to excuse.

Ann
ps Which Pengam? there were two one in Glamorgan and one on the other river bank in Monmouthshire. These are both now in Caerphilly borough and are one place - we likes to confuse people round yer.

TerryK
04-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Hi,
Didn`t Paul Robeson the black singer (Sandy of the river ) live in Cardiff and worked in the pit ? or have I got it all wrong again ?
Regards
Terry

Chasing Caseys
04-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Hi Ann

Sorry not realising there were two places of the same name. It was Pemperdairheol ? Pengam Glamorgan.

malcolm
05-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Please remember, this forum is for/about events - ok, hardly anyone uses it for that but they certainly won't be encouraged to do so if it's being used for general discussions.

By all means tell people about the event, about last year's event but that's all. General discussions should go to a more appropriate forum please.

[I'll delete these follow-up, off-topic discussions later in the weekend.]

= Malcolm.

Ladkyis
05-11-2005, 1:09 AM
Sorry Malcolm please could you move them to the Monmouthshire board? it's kind of about a Town there and I am interested in following up the mixed marriage thing because my daughter-in-law's grandfather came here with a brother.

Chasing Caseys
05-11-2005, 9:05 PM
My appologies also Malcom as i am the main culprit. It maybe a good idea then to "lock" the posts (like i have seen some others locked) after details of events are given to stop people like me who are unaware of the rules of this forum from starting a discusion |jedi|.