PDA

View Full Version : 1804 Marriage : Holbeach / Gedney Hill

Sorcerer
03-11-2005, 10:14 PM
I have details of the marriage of my ancestor Thomas Dams - 27 Aug 1804 to Sarah Leatherland.
I am trying to locate his birthdate and place. Census checks tell me that he was born ca 1780 but birthplace not known.
I also have details of his burial - 1859 at All Saints, Holbeach.

Any advice as to my next step?

How would I go about getting a copy of Marriage document for the
wedding and how would I access to Banns Book or Marriage Licence?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Copper
03-11-2005, 11:13 PM
A visit to the Lincolnshire Archives site is a must

Once you find your way around this site you should be able to order a copy of the marriage entry. Marriage licence - these have not survived on the whole, as the couple needed to show the vicar the licence before they could be married. I don't think that anybody felt the need to keep them once they had served their purpose.

Banns - you could check out the Latter Day Saints site and search their catalogue and see if they have filmed the banns. You would then be able to search the film in an LDS family history centre.

http://www.familysearch.com/

It might be worth a visit to the Lincolnshire Family History Society web site to see what they have transcribed.

Geoff Everitt
03-11-2005, 11:20 PM
If you're NOT called Mike DAMS, you might find this interesting

http://wrathall.org/essex/forum/display_message.asp?mid=89

Pam Downes
04-11-2005, 12:14 AM
If you're NOT called Mike DAMS, you might find this interesting
http://wrathall.org/essex/forum/display_message.asp?mid=89
Now THAT, Mr Everitt, is one-upmanship in a big way.
|bowdown| |bowdown|

Pam Downes

Sorcerer
04-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Many thanks Copper and Geoff. I'm impressed with your detective work Geoff - thanks I am aware of this post.
I did check out British Fiche 6907633 (Gedney Hill L: Marriages A thru Z 1562-1858) at local LDS but could not find an entry.
Should I see if I can find an entry in Banns? Not sure how I would check this out via LDS - would I need a ref no etc? Or is there another way?

Geoff Everitt
04-11-2005, 2:06 PM
I'm not sure about this - Pam will correct me if I'm wrong - but I think Banns would show where he was resident at the time of marriage, rather than his origins.

Sorcerer
04-11-2005, 3:42 PM
This is the info that I have about my ancestor :

Thomas Dams : born 1780? - place not known - according to census.

Thomas Dames (sic) and Sarah Leatherland (both of this parish) married 27th August 1804 at Gedney Hill Chapel by Minister John Dinham in presence of William Norman. Banns published 2nd August 1804.

Thomas Dames (sic) buried at All Saints Church, Holbeach on 14th March 1859 age 79.

.....how do I now find further info about Thomas Dams / Dames - particularly his dob / place of birth?

Copper
04-11-2005, 8:57 PM
The banns for the marriage would probably have been called sometime between the three Sundays before the wedding to a few months before the wedding. If the banns have been filmed and are available at the LDS then you should search in that period. The banns will probably not tell you anything new as it states the name of the intended groom and his residence at this time and the same for the intended bride. It then gives the dates (3) that the banns were called.

If you have your man in 1841 does it say he was born in the County? If yes then all you can do is hope that was correct and trawl through the parish records looking for a baptism. You would have to start in the place where he married and then work your way out through the closest parishes. I started looking within a 5 mile radius and then a 10 mile radius, then I gave up with my Norfolk lot! You could check the parishes you found him in when you looked at the census, as many of mine married in the bride's parish and then went straight back to their own parish to live.

Wirral
04-11-2005, 9:07 PM
Unfortunately, in the 1841 census it says that Thomas Dams was born outside the county, although his wife was born inside it. The marriage entry should say what parish he was from.

Sorcerer
04-11-2005, 9:54 PM
Thanks for your comments Copper and Wirral.

The banns (2nd August 1804) say that both parties are of "this parish".
The marriage took place on 27th August 1804.

Will take a look at your link Wirrall. The map / area etc will be useful for me as of course I am not from that area being born and bred in South Wales.

LDS info / IGI Record :

Batch No : M028542
Dates :1562-1812
Source Call No : 0432502
Printout Call No 6907633
Type : Film

Copper
04-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Hmm the marriage entry will say where he was living at the time of marriage. This need not be anywhere near where he was born. Some of mine were both of the parish when they married but I am not sure that was the case. People could just move into a place for a few weeks before the marriage and that appears to have been good enough.

Copper
04-11-2005, 10:12 PM
I have just read all of your postings again. When you say that they married in the Chapel does that mean not in the parish church?

I have found a Dams entry on Curious Fox - is that yours? As Thomas was not born in the county you could start with the Thomas bpt in White Notley, Essex. You need to check the parish records to see if he died young and if not did he vanish ie move away? Essex FHS have done some transcriptions so they might have covered the census you need. You need to try and find out if that Thomas is in Essex in 1841.

Sorcerer
05-11-2005, 1:27 AM
Info I received from Lincolnshire Archive Heritage said

"...married in this Chapel by Banns duly published...."

It is recorded as being in "Gedney-Hill".

My ancestor died aged 79 and was buried at All Saints, Holbeach, 14 March 1859.

PS : Yes the Curious Fox entry is mine.