PDA

View Full Version : Phillimore's vs IGI - Melton/Alcock marriage

JayneCanada
03-11-2005, 8:46 AM
I've just received my ACDB Phillimore's Norfolk Marriages (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=listlinkeditems&cat=D1282&supplier=&breadcrumb=Parish+Registers%3ANorfolk:Archive+CD+B ooks+Ltd) and see in Volume 12 Page 107 an ancestor of mine who's marriage is dated 26 ? 1836 (Benjamin Melton & Lucy Alcock).

The IGI states that this is 26 Nov 1836 but it could easily be 26 Oct 1836 as there are no marriages for November at all and the entry after this one is Dec 31st.

I would say October not November but I guess without looking at the actual register I shouldn't assume this to be the case.

I always thought that Phillimore's was more reliable than the IGI (come to think of it most resources are more reliable than the IGI but that's another topic ;) ) so if I'm not able to refer to the actual register which month should I go with?

Peter Goodey
03-11-2005, 9:21 AM
Jayne

You already know that you're not comparing like with like but there's more to it than that!

The IGI is a patron submission - not part of a 'controlled extraction' and therefore very, very doubtful.

My advice is to check the parish register and the BTs if available.

In the meantime, treat Phillimore as being the more definitive story - ie month not known.

Pam Downes
03-11-2005, 9:32 AM
Hi Jayne,
If you can get to the LDS FHC in Glenridge Avenue they will be able to order in the film of Docking PRs (number 1951631) for you to view.
In the meantime, if you have to enter the info into a FH computer programme, then pick one date, record the source, but then also record the other source and date. Neither one is guaranteed to be more accurate than the other because they are both transcriptions, though in this instance because the IGI entry, although a submitted one, gives a month whilst Phillimore's only has a question mark for the month, the IGI entry might win 51-49.

(Have just seen that I've cross-posted with Peter. Do I presume that, between us, we haven't helped? :D )

Pam Downes

Geoffers
03-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Phillimore has at least had the decency to indicate there is doubt by including a question mark; so the marriage could possibly have occurred in October, November or December. I've looked at the published indices to Norfolk Marriage Licence Bonds 1813-1837 and cannot find a reference to this couple; thus it seems more likely then that they married by banns.

If they married by banns and it seems that the marriage register is unclear; I'd suggest that you also try to view the banns register. Marriages freqeuently took place as soon as possible after the last reading of the banns so you may be able to infer a likely month of marriage from this circumstantial evidence.

Geoffers

JayneCanada
04-11-2005, 8:16 PM
Hi Pam,

I used to volunteer at the Glenridge Avenue FHC so I'm familiar with the ordering procedure but thanks for the film number much appreciated.

As for entering it in my FH program I have already done what you suggested and know the next thing on the agenda is viewing the PRs I was just wondering why one gave a question mark when the other had the month if both were transcriptions. :)

It's off to the FHC for me I guess.

JayneCanada
04-11-2005, 8:20 PM
Hi Geoffers,

Thanks for looking up the marriage for me and thanks for letting me know that a peek at the banns is in order to find the correct month. That narrows it down nicely for me.

I shall check the FHL, get the film number and order it in. I haven't been to my local FHC since I gave up volunteering there so I think it's time I paid a visit. :)

ChristineR
05-11-2005, 1:24 AM
Hi Pam,

.... I was just wondering why one gave a question mark when the other had the month if both were transcriptions. :)

It's off to the FHC for me I guess.

Phillimore probably worked from the actual registers? and the IGI patron worked from film which may have made the entry more legible?
just a thought :D
Christine